Thread: international experience

Default international experience

I'm getting all my ducks in order to apply for jobs soon. I won't finish my master's until May, but most of these positions have long application processes. I keep running across the same line: "seven years experience in the ... required."

I'm looking at jobs in a lot of different fields, including human rights, relief work, policy analysis and the like. If any of you actually work in one of those fields, or a similar field, how did you obtain such experience? I'm honestly not sure where one gets experience inspecting prisoner of war camps.

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    I'm looking at jobs in a lot of different fields, including human rights, relief work, policy analysis and the like. If any of you actually work in one of those fields, or a similar field, how did you obtain such experience? I'm honestly not sure where one gets experience inspecting prisoner of war camps.
    Peace Corps? Red Cross? Try looking for international humanitarian or relief organizations; they're the ones who're doing that type of work. I imagine you get that type of experience by starting at the bottom in organizations like that just like you would in any field.

I heard Peace Corps looks really good on a resume. They go to some pretty cool places too.

Take a look at the U.N. Foreign language ability is a must, but there are jobs there. One other thing to consider is not setting your sights too high for a job right out of college. I found many of my classmates that didn't have work experience often expected much higher salaries/benefits upon graduation than were realistic for their experience.

Darkfinn

The classic conundrum... if all jobs require experience, how do new people get experience?

The Voluntary sector is definitely your friend here.

The kind of jobs you're going to be looking for are very much in demand and anything on your CV that shows real commitment will help a great deal. If you were in Britain I could help with some specific organisations but I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with the American equivalents.

You might have to get used to the idea of being patient, though. If you can't find anything by the time you've finished your Master's then getting a part-time job whilst volunteering in the office of a humanitarian charity and saving up to go on a extended six month trip with someone like the Peace Corps would look extremely good to future employers.

Good luck.

soren456

I'd say volunteering. And the Peace Corps.

I don't think they mean seven years' continuous experience with a single agency. I think they want a cumulative total.

I'm volunteering again this summer, simply for the pleasure of it and for what I can learn from it. But I'm also aware that it might provide an advantage down the road.

Darkfinn

Yet another problem... how does one get money to pay bills if all of one's time is spent either in class or volunteering?

soren456

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Yet another problem... how does one get money to pay bills if all of one's time is spent either in class or volunteering?
    Armed robbery has worked for me.

If evangelicals are in town, prostitution . . . .
    Last edited by soren456; 23-Jun-2009 at 20:17. Reason: Typo