Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Live

Default Xbox Live

A few weeks ago I got an Xbox 360 Eleate for a graduation gift and I want to start using Xbox Live, can someone please give me the ins and outs of that?

Thanks in advance.

It's fairly simple really. I just got it a few months ago and I absolutely love it.

Once you make a username and get online, you'll have the "Silver" Membership. I'm not sure exactly what the Silver entails, but I know you wont be able to play games online or download demos. I think its just voice chat and downloadable content.

If you DO want to play games online (which you probably do) you'll have to subscribe to the "Gold" membership. (I think its about $8 a month) You can do that with a credit card, or you can buy cards at Wal-Mart or Gamestop. After that you are pretty much set to go. If you want to download Xbox Live ONLY games, you will need Microsoft Points. You can buy those the same way as the subscription cards. (Its $10 for 800 points)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I'd also suggest getting a wireless head set makes voice chat a lot easier.

Once you set up your Silver/Gold membership, you might as well add some of us to play online =).

Quote Originally Posted by Motorbreath View Post
    Once you set up your Silver/Gold membership, you might as well add some of us to play online =).
    That's what I was planning on.

A question i have is that I have Verizon for internet can I hook up to that wirelessly or do I need to run a network cable?

If you have a wireless router for your regular internet, then you need a wireless router thing for your Xbox. There is an official one for like $100 or so, or you can get a 3rd party one for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    If you have a wireless router for your regular internet, then you need a wireless router thing for your Xbox. There is an official one for like $100 or so, or you can get a 3rd party one for less.
    So, i'm guessing it would be alot cheaper to just run a cable from the router to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    So, i'm guessing it would be alot cheaper to just run a cable from the router to the internet.
    If your 360 is close to your Xbox, then yeah. That wouldn't for me, because my router is upstairs, and my Xbox is downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    If your 360 is close to your computer, then yeah. That wouldn't for me, because my router is upstairs, and my Xbox is downstairs.
    fixed.

Biggest tip I can give you to get started.

GET EITHER THE 3 MONTH STARTER PACK OR 12 MONTH STARTER PACK FROM BEST BUY.

Best purchase you can probably make if you're new to it. Depending how often you plan to use your 360, decide which one to get.

I bought the 3 month cause its cheaper and I have a bunch of free 1 month/48 hour trial cards anyway. What came with that was 1200 Microsoft points (used to buy downloadable content), the 360 headset, and a 3 month gold subscription. All together it cost a little over $30 when seperately that runs easily around $50-60+

Lastly, upon signing up for live you get a free 1 month trial of gold.