Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about "Mature Baby"?

Lightbulb What about "Mature Baby"?

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Please feel free to move it if that is the case.

While it has been quite a while since I've been on ADISC, I remember one problem facing some of the older teens was the thought of becoming an 'adult baby', because of all the connotations associated with it. Since people are always going to be getting older, and it doesn't appear as though the population of *B's is getting any smaller, I think this is going to be a recurring problem until some action is taken. Unless, of course, it's not that huge of a problem in the first case. I dunno, maybe it's not.

Anyway, in response to that, I thought of a new term that people could call themselves after they pass the teenage years. Actually, the term could apply to anyone currently under the *B umbrella, as it doesn't really imply age, but some level of maturity. As you may have noticed, the term is 'mature baby'.

I think it is appropriate for several reasons:

i) It gives some distance from the term (and negative connotations of) 'adult baby'. By adopting a new phrase, it will be sort of like starting with a clean slate. And since the population on this website is generally very mature, by setting an example of the new term, it may be possible to build up a more positive image.

ii) While it would remove us somewhat from the 'community', the term is still relatively close to 'adult baby', close enough to the point where the general idea of what a mature baby is could be inferred somewhat from the term adult baby, without all of the implications.

iii) Finally, the name itself implies maturity, which I see as something positive. While yes it is an oxymoron, the contradiction is sort of fitting of the community, is it not?

----
    Any opinions on this? I don't think this phrase has been brought up before; I searched around the forums and didn't see anything relating to it, so I hope not. I think the biggest issue would be the actual switch-over. The general nature of people seems to be to shy away from change, but there are instances in which in can be good. ^.^

Error404

I find it's better to avoid any term that is actually to do with children. People tend to jump to conclusions.

"Paraphilic infantilist" pretty much covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    I find it's better to avoid any term that is actually to do with children. People tend to jump to conclusions.

That just sounds worse. I can see a lot of people thinking that it means you have a thing for infants.

Anything that stays away from paraphilic infantilist (close to pedophilic does it?) is good enough, but doesn't mature baby connotate that us teens ain't mature enough? it seems as though it does have deep meaning.

I also say that as long as it has a mature level of thoughtful conversation that it has, then this topic is in the right place. But I can see it being placed in off-topic.

You know what you guys are right, this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Who is more capable of renaming the group other than us, instead of waiting for society to give us a name we should come up with one ourselves.

I really don't have any great ideas.

But lets see

Adult baby- sounds weird and demented
    Paraphilic infantilist- sounds horrible, very scary and pedo-like
    Teen baby- not too horrible
    diaper lover- i hate that one too, also sounds like your some kind of horrible freak.

Yep I think as a community we should look into getting some more respectable identification.

For example, I would possibly admit how I have a thing for diapers right? But I wouldn't ever want to label myself as a diaper lover.

Is there a way around this or are we forever burdened with humiliating and misleading societal names?

Quote Originally Posted by lmsicklol View Post

Is there a way around this or are we forever burdened with misleading societal names?

Diaper lover kind of hits the nail on the head !

I dont know...i kind of like the idea of 'mature baby'. I've been dreading the age where i have to call myself an AB. It's not getting older that i dont like, it's just some of the negative connotations the the AB term holds...no offense meant to any AB's out there ^^; While i think that 'mature baby' is...good. I believe that there could possible be a better name. I think we, as a whole, need to take the initiative to name ourselves. Just look at the past, those that let others name them haven't done so great....

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    That just sounds worse. I can see a lot of people thinking that it means you have a thing for infants.
    One of the reasons that I hate the term parawhatever whatsitsface. Most people are going to associate the "p" it starts with with boy-touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    I think the only issue there is that not that many people know what that means. Maybe if you hit people with that first, and then took the time to quickly explain it with your own bias put on it while they're still wondering, that could work. And while it is a matter of opinion, "paraphilic infantilist" doesn't really roll of the tongue very easily....

-----

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Anything that stays away from paraphilic infantilist (close to pedophilic does it?) is good enough, but doesn't mature baby connotate that us teens ain't mature enough? it seems as though it does have deep meaning.
    That is a good point, but I mentioned that teen babies could also use that term as well. Rather than switching from 'adult baby' to 'mature baby', it would mix up TB's and AB's together to form a group of MB's.

-----
    Imsicklol, I agree with your general opinion considering most of those phrases, diaper lover especially. Perhaps maybe instead of considering a specific new term, we should think about changing terms in the first place. Then afterwards we can go about the specifics.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tyler View Post
    While i think that 'mature baby' is...good. I believe that there could possible be a better name. I think we, as a whole, need to take the initiative to name ourselves. Just look at the past, those that let others name them haven't done so great....
    Again, I could agree with the general idea of changing to something. I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't see a point in it. However, that term was a suggestion, and I haven't heard anything else. Some more ideas would be nice.

-----
    So to sum everything up, maybe we can expand this out from one specific suggestion to something more general: simply thinking of something besides 'adult baby' that most of us can agree on, and (before that) perhaps discussing if there is an issue to start with.

Elli

I don't like to call myself any label-type term, but I do see the need for a term and I understand that society gives you one anyway, especially if you don't make your own.

I would accept being called a diaper wearer but I do not call myself a Diaper Lover. 'Lover' insinuates something sexual and 'diaper' (or nappy) is predominantly associated with babies or vulnerable adults. Although 'Lover' can just mean you like something, such as 'Animal Lover' doesn't mean the person likes to...ok, lets not go there. But anything that links children to sex, even unintentionally, or just if it could be misunderstood to do so, is dodgy ground.

So...In my opinion, if any name were created, I'd prefer that the name would indicate that the obsession is with your OWN childhood rather than with actual children. But, others might not agree that their like for baby things is about a desire to return to their own childhood. Still, it's just a suggestion. I can't think of an actual name, but something that included 'regression' perhaps? Hmm...will have to think...