Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a cheap, easily hidden nursery?

Default Suggestions on a cheap, easily hidden nursery?

My GF is moving near me for college, she's getting her own apartment and she has a room that's going to be used as a study/office/workspace. And we want to make a cheap nursery. You know a makeshift crib,playpen etc. We don't want prints or anything just objects to make it feel babyish. Maybe a high chair, and what not. The trick is how to make those types of things?

The playpen is pretty easy. What I'm thinking of doing is buying a couple of those fences or whatever and putting it up against the wall and putting a big quilt on it. My GF really wants a high chair for some reason. XD She would like restrains on it if possible... it doesn't neceserally have to be "high" Just resemble it with the tray and what not. Keep in mind where poor college students so cheapest is best. And yeah any suggestions at all would be great.

Elli

I've never made a highchair, but a few thoughts:

An upright chair with arms, with a board laying across as a tray? It's a basic idea, but could be made as complex or a simple as you have the time and resources for.

You'd have to find a way to attach the 'tray' to allow it to lift to allow entry. A hinge might work, if the chair has wooden arms. So long as the tray turns out even, not tilted. You could cover the 'tray' in something water-proof perhaps.

You can get highchair toys with sucker bases, or you could use strong glue to add something, perhaps?

As for restraints...Hmm...Something that has a harness made for adult size but also can be attached to a chair? I once saw a harness for soccer training, which was attached to a sail. The idea was to create wind-resistence for training to run strongly. Other than rock climbing (which would look a bit extreme!) I can't think of an adult size harness. If it's possible to remove the snap-buckle from something else though, I guess you could make one somehow?

Pretty much all you have to do is get plans for the real things and just scale them to size. I would also skip on making the playpen and just build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.
    Damn that just gave me a fricking awsome idea! To bad I cant follow through with it .

Atleast until like 5 years .

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Pretty much all you have to do is get plans for the real things and just scale them to size. I would also skip on making the playpen and just build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.
    Thing is I much rather have a playpen. It has more Room ya know? But How would I go about making the crib anyways? That would be insane... and I"m not good with tools

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    I've never made a highchair, but a few thoughts:

An upright chair with arms, with a board laying across as a tray? It's a basic idea, but could be made as complex or a simple as you have the time and resources for.

You'd have to find a way to attach the 'tray' to allow it to lift to allow entry. A hinge might work, if the chair has wooden arms. So long as the tray turns out even, not tilted. You could cover the 'tray' in something water-proof perhaps.

You can get highchair toys with sucker bases, or you could use strong glue to add something, perhaps?

As for restraints...Hmm...Something that has a harness made for adult size but also can be attached to a chair? I once saw a harness for soccer training, which was attached to a sail. The idea was to create wind-resistence for training to run strongly. Other than rock climbing (which would look a bit extreme!) I can't think of an adult size harness. If it's possible to remove the snap-buckle from something else though, I guess you could make one somehow?
    umm i would get like a safty harness

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Thing is I much rather have a playpen. It has more Room ya know? But How would I go about making the crib anyways? That would be insane... and I"m not good with tools
    1 i would when i make a tent inside for my sisters i put chairs together and it feels like it sort of but i don't know maybe a dog pen
    2as it said before

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Every single playpen I ever seen adult sized or not is much smaller then a properly made crib. Anyways you under estimate yourself, if you build a high chair you can surely build a crib.

Default Highchair?

For a high chair, try purchasing a director's chair. The ones with the foot rest are fairly tall. The arms can have a board laid over them and bolt latches from a hardware store can secure the board to the chair. For proper restraints, find an inexpensive after-market seatbelt. These are available in 2 point (lap belt), 4 point (lap and both shoulders), 5 point (lap, shoulders, and crotch strap), and 6 point (2 crotch straps). If these are too expensive, an alternative is nylon web belt material and plastic buckles which are both sold at fabric stores. For installation, metal grommets may be installed to run a bolt through. These and the installation tool are also sold at fabric stores.

I suppose the two most important qualities for you is that is has to be removable or concealable and that it has to feel babyish when being used. Not that it has to be an accurate replica, just 'feel' right. I suppose to get that you have to look at what makes it feel like that and find the cheapest way of doing it. The cheapest way will almost always be temporary, so that gives you removable too. You may disagree, but this is what I think would make a good crib, playpen and highchair, and how I would go about making it.

Crib
    • Obstructed view when lying in it - it doesnt matter if it is bars or not, just that you can't see clearly because of the sides and they feel reasonably sturdy if you were to lay against them.
    • It has to be comfortable, but not too soft. This can probably be made by using babyish bedclothes and not using a very soft mattress

Playpen
    • Similar to a crib - the view is obstructed from the point of view of someone in it. Material isn't important as long as it isn't dangerous - just has to be sturdy and block view
    • There area within, like a crib, has to be comfortable. This can probably be done by puting a duvet or duvets in it.

Highchair
    • You have to higher of the ground than usual. For this the director chair suggestion from Jeremaih sounds good. The most important bit is finding the chair to build it off. After that the other bits should be easy
    • Restraints - for a high chair I would think 5 point or 3 point. You might be able to bye some, or if you can some nylon straps, make them yourself. It's just a matter of getting the nylon and the clips and being able to sew it together nto one thing.
    • Perhaps most important is the tray, but this is also quite easy. You just need a tray which you can secure to the chair. Good ones for this would be the trays with edges you can use to eat infront of the TV. Then you just need some string or straps to tie it in place. Use a knot that you can easily untie - then it is easy to take the tray away when you don't need it.

As for the material to use on a crib or playpen - not sure. You could use sanded wood, though that might require hinges and stuff to put together, which could be difficult if you aren't good with tools. Though if you wanted all you would need would be a drill and some self taping screws. Removing the sides is a bit clumsy to unscrew, so I would leave an open side, or if you were feeling confident, hinge a side and use some ties or something to keep it shut.

An old thing I've heard. "You can have quick, cheap or well made. Pick any two." I think you want quick and cheap, but if when you've done it it doesn't live up to expectations don't be worried - it will be hard to get something that is quick, cheap and realistic. Then again, you have enough imagination to see yourself as a baby - surely you have enough to ignore some slightly unrealistic props, especially if you are regressed at the time.

I know someone that is selling a brand new custom made oak highchair for $350... It's a marvel of craftsmanship (I think it even has ash wood inlays), and a steal at that price.

That said, it's definitely "life size", and if you're in PR, I have no clue how you'd get it shipped. For size reference, only the bottom half you can see strapped to this truck:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/jsgti18t/DSCF2495.jpg

Sorry... Only pic I have of it.