Thread: Starter

Default Starter

How much does a new starter usually cost for a 1999 Cadillac Sevile SLS? I have one in my sights on Craigslist that I can pick up for $1000. Thanks!

Dunno, but my old car it was around $150 CAD for one (I don't remember if that was before or after the $50 you get for returning the old starter for them to rebuild and sell).

It's a cheap fix, if you're willing to replace it yourself.

At autozone in my area they have 2 available one is like 160 and the other is about 170, the difference is the warranty....

For a grand it must be gold plated, and come with a mechanic to put it on.

soren456

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    At autozone in my area they have 2 available one is like 160 and the other is about 170, the difference is the warranty....

For a grand it must be gold plated, and come with a mechanic to put it on.

And here's some pizza to go with that:

$1000 is 10 times more expensive than the one i found. $100 for the cheapo ones.

not $1000 for the starter, One grand for the Cadillac! Sorry for the mix up.

You mean you found a Cadillac SLS for sale on Craigslist for $1000 and it needs a starter, right?

If the Caddy has a 4.6 litre Northstar engine, you will have to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter. It lives in the valley between the cylinder banks, which makes it a time consuming job to replace. You'll need the intake gaskets too because they're made of plastic and neoprene, and aren't very reliable for re-use.I think '99 had a one piece intake manifold which is easier to deal with than the earlier ones.

I'd stay away from that car, if you're actually looking to purchase it.

A 99 Cadillac for $1000 ... I'd be a bit worried about that ...

When I replaced the starter on my car (due to warm start problems), I bought one from a junkyard - almost brand new too! - for $20. I used that for a few days and ended up buying a new one.

The new one won't engage in the cold.

A starter for an old ragged out Caddy? Hmm....seems about like a fair trade to me

If the car is in good shape, I would consider it ONLY if you think you can replace the starter on your own. Link to R&R on starter $1000 is about 1/3 of the price for an average SLS (according to edmunds.com).