Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Computer Question

Default Apple Computer Question

So...I'm looking to get some Apple/Mac computer, but I don't want anything expensive. I don't need anything too fast or fancy. Just something that's not too old, and with easy internet access. I'm hoping to spend under $100, but from what I've seen on eBay, it's seeming unrealistic. I'd prefer some kind of laptop, but if only desktops are cheap enough, then that'd be fine.

Moved to here: Hmm hmm...Well I need an Intel-based Mac. Basically why I want one, is because I'm interested in making applications for iPhone, and you can only do with with an Intel-based Mac apparently. So I don't really need anything fancy, with internet

I didn't mean $1000, I'm cheap, and I'm not interested in paying anything close to that much for what I'm planning on doing with the computer. I also don't need anything new
    Last edited by Pojo; 12-Jun-2009 at 03:38.

$100 is a bit unrealistic no matter how old you go, even for non mac machines.

Secret

I think you mean under 1000$ dollars because under 100$ dollars is realistic if you want this.
    http://www.consolidateddiversions.com/images/toshtop.jpg
    Anyway, I would recommend buying the old white macbook, and if are going into college or in college I think you can get a free i-pod to, or an eqaul rebate of the value of the i-pod. I personally have this computer and its great, the new alluminum ones are meh in my opinion and are way to much money. Heck I am even running Counter Strike Source Half Life 2 and Portal on a so so integrated graphics card. So far it hasn't had really any technical problems except some blemishes on the trackpad that the apple store gladly and quickly fixed within a day.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/MacBook_white.jpg
    Also another idea is to buy a 250-450$ dollar netbook from dell or another good company. I recommend a Dell Vostro A90
    Dell Vostro A90 Laptop Details
    http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/vostro-a90-mbp15-585.jpg
    And then if you still really want it to be Apple you can always just install leopard.

Or another idea is to go around pawn shops and goodwills untill you find a 100$ dollar laptop before I find it :P

I hope you find your right laptop because mine feels like an exstension of my own body, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    So...I'm looking to get some Apple/Mac computer, but I don't want anything expensive. I don't need anything too fast or fancy. Just something that's not too old, and with easy internet access. I'm hoping to spend under $100, but from what I've seen on eBay, it's seeming unrealistic. I'd prefer some kind of laptop, but if only desktops are cheap enough, then that'd be fine.
    Good luck.

You MIGHT be able to find something like an old G3 snowball or the first-gen eMac. Possibly. If you're lucky.

Darkfinn

You want a Mac? Why?

I keep looking for an old DOS/Win 3.1 machine to run my older games on. There's a few nice ones on E-bay... but I don't have $200 sitting around.

(@ Secret) You couldn't just install Leopard... You need to have all the comparable hardware, an ATI, or Nvidia GPU. (the right kind) and the right kind of Intel CPU (intel is usually more expensive...) Aaaaand, you would need to install hackintosh software... I was thinking of doing this myself, but it seems difficult...

I have a 2.5 year old iMac... It just crashed last week, and I lost all my data, and have a corrupted HDD... I will fix it after finals...
    It's getting really slow, and filled up, and incompatible with most new software. I can't upgrade anything but the overpriced RAM... I am just buying an underpriced amazing windows PC this summer... I'm done with Mac, and I'm going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Hmm hmm...Well I need an Intel-based Mac. Basically why I want one, is because I'm interested in making applications for iPhone, and you can only do with with an Intel-based Mac apparently. So I don't really need anything fancy, with internet
    This isn't in the cards, Beavis.

The cheapest you'll be able to go would be an Intel MacMini, and they're somewhere around $600 or so.

Yes, under 100 dollars I don't think you'll get anything, especially a mac. And if you could find a computer under 100 dollars, I'm not sure I'd trust it...
    But if you did mean 1,000 dollars, Secret has the right idea. The lowest spec, plain white macbook brand new is just at 1,000 dollars. However, if you don't need a notebook, the mac mini is the cheapest computer they sell, at like 600 or something. Of course with that, you need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse too, so you have to factor that in.

Still, for portability (even though the mini is tiny) a notebook is always the way to go, so I'd recommend the macbook. For what you get, apple really does give you a good bit of product and specs for your dollar (despite what naysayers may tell you), the problem is that they don't offer a truly low end computer product, which is why everyone says they are expensive.

So if you just want a really basic computer that will get you on the internet, I'd go with a PC. You can get a much cheaper PC, even though I'm a fan of OSX, it's true. For a very basic system, a PC will always be cheaper. I'd wait till windows 7 comes out though, since it will hopefully be better than Vista, unless you buy one used with XP. I used XP for years and never had a problem. And yes, it is possible to install OSX on a PC, although it's against the TOS, I think and I wouldn't expect any technical help from apple if you have issues. But if you don't care, go for it :P

My two cents.

Edit: Hmm...intel based mac I don't think you'll get for that cheap, if that's what you are looking for...mac mini is your cheapest option. But good luck.

Wait, the $100 wasn't a typo? hahaha...

Haven't you heard the most common complaint about macs? The price? You won't get a $100 intel mac. At least not through legal means. I mean, that's netbook prices right there...

One of the nice things about them (or bad things in your position) is they retain their resale value very well. I typically sell mine for just over 50% what I paid for it two years prior. I use that to buy the next one.

Anyway, you can check out ebay and places like macmall, but that's the best you can hope for. And nothing will be $100 or less. Good luck

I spotted a cheap desktop for $250 at Best Buy the other day (open box item, no monitor). That's the cheapest machine I've seen in a long time.