Thread: My art

Default My art

Well here is what little pieces of art I have made. Now I just need a scanner. What do y'all think.

This is me so to speak.

Maxy #1

Samurai Tiger

This is one I made in high school art class. It's about 3ft by 2 1/2ft complettly done in dotism. It took forever but it's one of my favs.

Ink Dotism #2
    Last edited by Maxicoon; 10-Jun-2009 at 04:18.

I like the ink dotism...that's a very cool pic. Unlike what you'd normally see from the furry fan art, and very original. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I like the ink dotism...that's a very cool pic. Unlike what you'd normally see from the furry fan art, and very original. Good stuff.
    Thanks that piece is one of my prised positions.

Quote Originally Posted by stonemask55 View Post
    Well here is what little pieces of art I have made. Now I just need a scanner. What do y'all think.

This is me so to speak.

Maxy #1

Honestly? The third Really impressed me. I know the technique as pointilism as in Seurat

http://www.poster.net/seurat-georges/seurat-georges-seine-grande-jatte-2602499.jpg

As to the first pic I think there are many technical things wrong with it , and I think you know what they are; as an artist you are probably your own harshest critic. Most of the problems are to do with proportion: left forearm and hand too small for instance. Legs too short, left hand much better defined than the right, feet not well defined. Legs too straight. I realize artists are sensitive and I do not want to offend. So here I would prefer to focus on positive criticism:

The shading is superb. I think you have great potential as proven by #3. The body shape as well as the green detail conveys a fursuit to me, and the diaper bulge is definite (to me) and the most impressive part. The texture also captures this. One problem is the flatness in the image (the head) which contrasts with the depth implied by the shading. This is the same flatness which so well succeeds in #3, and reminds me of Seurat and Matisse's La danse, not to mention all the ancient stuff: Icon paintings etc. There is just so much nuance of contour from the crotch up, the legs are so cylindrical and lacking the same variation in contour, they kind of make the work look like it was finished crotch down in a hurry, or after inspiration dried up or tiredness set in. The face is not mask-like, it is more like a cartoon; this is not a bad thing as such; cartoons are art too; it is just that the face does not seem to fit with the neck through crotch. The cuffs are inconsistent: the left looks like a cufflink cuff, a little proud of the sleeve; the right looks integral to the sleeve, and is more believable to me. But the middle stripe is perfect. The contours in the right arm also wonderful. The blankie is superb. Period. The tail is also correct and that impresses me. The hair on top is good though a bit too symmetrical; muss it up a bit; I would also eliminate it elsewhere: it is just distracting; looks like a red spotlight; a second-best option would be to detail it. I realize the red unifies the image between the blankie and hair; but I think just the fringe would suffice to do this. On second thought both hands are good: but they should match: both should look like mittens or both like gloves or actual hands. The feet are a little tall like platform shoes; more foot shaped might help, though they do look like fursuit booties, and that is a success. The sloped, almost shrugged shoulders, are a detail that make the figure look both young and unassertive; while this makes the figure look young and passive and unassertive, it conveys personality; and I judge this also to be a great success; throwing so much meaning in a detail is an achievement. The slight dip in the lower upper arm implies an elbow: great great great. The thick outline/shadowing on the left is freat too as it reinforces the fuzziness of the suit; like soft-focus in not the same as out-of-focus; this is very nice. The shape and proportion of the ears is quite lovely but the lack of detail inside them, while not noticeable at first, is a minor detail that is inconsistent with the whole.

Still, I want to look at the image, it holds the attention, and that is a massive success, and really implies your talent. Technical stuff is a minor matter to improve on; where there is success it is great.

This is one I made in high school art class. It's about 3ft by 2 1/2ft complettly done in dotism. It took forever but it's one of my favs.

Ink Dotism #2
    As to this: WOW. I would buy this. Really. I could drone on and on, why I like it so much, but I'll leave it at Wow. This is Very Very good. Again, details on request. Been channeling Picasso?

I would suggest two things. Work on a large canvas: far easier to do good work. I realise pointilism (or Dotism) is hard work, and hard to do well over a long period; the beauty of the technique is you can do great stuff in a small space. I have bought greeting-card size original pen-and-ink pointillist stuff at cons. But in general work on a large canvas.

I would redo #1 - Matisse redid La Danse. I would turn the head, around 20-45 degrees; much easier to achieve the 3D effect of the neck to crotch; and put in detail to the turned neck. Look at Da Vinci's sketches, nobody paid more attention to anatomy. And please, please, do more with this figure, in different poses. If you redo this one, I would also thrust the pelvis forward a bit and squat the legs a little, slightly bent at the knees. Shading at the crotch to create a bulge would work very well, like the below or longer, narrower and slightly off vertical: see

http://www.criticaljunctions.com/uploaded_images/sticky-fingers_front-702379.jpg

Please keep making art. I would love to see everything you did well combined with correcting the aspects that did not succeed so well. You may take it as a mark of respect that I felt like making a detailed critique, and that I expect you to take the negative criticism in a spirit of encouragement.

Also, you might think about treating the figure as a character: he already has personality; and that is huge. Sitting, lying down, leaning... Maybe with a second character in the image, maybe a fox?
    Last edited by Raccoon; 10-Jun-2009 at 16:16.

Thanks alot Raccoon I planed to redo Maxy #1 I'll take all that in consideration.