Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Songs with powerful/meaningful lyrics

Default Songs with powerful/meaningful lyrics

I love music that's good just because it's fun, but I also love music that has emotive and powerful lyrics.

This is an example.

YouTube - Go on home british soilders

Asher

One of my personal favorite songs that has extremely powerful lyrics is Iron and Wine's "The Trapeze Swinger." The song covers both love and hate, life and death, and it has many biblical allusions to combine everything together into a beautifully woven song.

Youtube - Trapeze Swinger

- Asher

Error404

David Rovics - (Talking to you from here at) The End Of The World.

My favorite lyric of all time (and I've listened to a lot of music, so this is a personal choice for what it means to me) is from Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock."

"These angels with their wings glued on
    They are frightened and they're scared
    If you don't stare."

It means so much to me about the goth lifestyle, or about hypocrites trying to seem pious for the adulation...

It was the lyric that led me to realize that the goth lifestyle is no better than, say, Britney Spears. It's a look-driven lifestyle that relies on a facade to relate to the outside world. They are both after the same thing, they just go about it in different ways.

I haven't been to Hot Topic (or any "real" local alternative look store) with my chick ever since. I don't need to try that hard or rely on something to speak for me.

"Handlebars" by the Flobots, while it's a bit of an annoying song, has quite a lot to say, and it gives me chills whenever I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    "Handlebars" by the Flobots, while it's a bit of an annoying song, has quite a lot to say, and it gives me chills whenever I hear it.
    Same.

Once again, I'm going to have to go with Blind Guardian, my favorite band that no body else knows. This is Another Holy War. YouTube - Blind Guardian - Another Holy War

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    Same.

Once again, I'm going to have to go with Blind Guardian, my favorite band that no body else knows. This is Another Holy War. YouTube - Blind Guardian - Another Holy War
    *Jumps up and down waving arms*

I know Blind Guardian, learned of them during my power metal phase. I also know that song, and I'd definately agree with you that they're powerful.

My own personal favourite powerful song is Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss, and also Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe - used to make me cry when I was little.

Oblivion by Mastodon and Electric Worry by Clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLastWords View Post
    My own personal favourite powerful song is Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss, and also Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe - used to make me cry when I was little.
    Agh, I love Pearl Jam's Last Kiss. And I like Cat's in the Cradle, although not by Ugly Kid Joe. I like Harry Chapin's version more.

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton is a tearjerker, so are Holes in the Floor of Heaven by Collin Raye and Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World. Gravedigger by the Dave Matthews Band struck a chord with me since I was a kid, very haunting but beautiful lyrically. .

A new find of mine is this (fairly-unknown) song called Run Away With Me. It was written for a musical, but the lyrics are beautiful. YouTube - Michael Arden - "Run Away With Me"