Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I looking for something impossible, nice sporty car for like $5000?

Default Am I looking for something impossible, nice sporty car for like $5000?

Am I looking for something impossible or what? I need a new car and I was thinking of getting a nice sports car or something sporty to fuel my speed addiction. Any car person here know if I'm trying to find something that isn't out there? It needs to be less than 100k miles, most likely around 80k miles because my parents and grandparents say anything over 100k miles that isn't a Honda is going to fall apart and not worth it. I really don't care, just want something that's faster than my '91 accord.

Jeffy

Good luck...

Instead of checking auto-trader or craigslist, put out a "wanted" add in the paper. Something will usually pop up somewhere closeby. I got my '98 Cavalier for 1500 in perfect condition complete with rebuilt engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Am I looking for something impossible or what? I need a new car and I was thinking of getting a nice sports car or something sporty to fuel my speed addiction. Any car person here know if I'm trying to find something that isn't out there? It needs to be less than 100k miles, most likely around 80k miles because my parents and grandparents say anything over 100k miles that isn't a Honda is going to fall apart and not worth it. I really don't care, just want something that's faster than my '91 accord.
    What's the point in speed if you have to follow speed limits?

Quote Originally Posted by fuctifano View Post
    Sadly many Americans blatantly disregard these limits.

soren456

Hmmm . . .

Dunno.

A Miata?

I drive a Pontiac which, although it's not terribly 'sporty', is much better than its predecessor--a station wagon--and I got it for just under $8,000. It was really quite a deal for what I got. I recommend looking for something with lots of highway miles at a dealership in a very small town. (That's what worked for me...)

Think it over for a while. The more you think about it, the more you realize that it's not really worth it, or your choices will narrow down.

Quote Originally Posted by soren456 View Post
    Hmmm . . .

Dunno.

A Miata?
    As silly as people think the miata's look, for $5,000 you'd be hard pressed to find a reliable used car that could chase it around a track for less money. Sure its not a drag monster, but they're hard to kill, get ok gas mileage, and they handle like a much more expensive machine.

Other things to look at would be late model Nissan 240sx or other cars in that class. Fast enough to be fun, but not enough to be unreliable. Just ask the DSM guys what that sentence means :P

Quote Originally Posted by fuctifano View Post
    "Faster" most often means greater acceleration which of course speed limits have nothing to do with.

I can't imagine a decent "sporty" car in the 5k range sorry. Good luck though.