Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is the most horrifying news story I've read in a long time.

Default This is the most horrifying news story I've read in a long time.

Ore. investigators: Woman cut open, baby taken
    By RYAN KOST, Associated Press Writer Ryan Kost, Associated Press Writer 34 mins ago

HILLSBORO, Ore. A pregnant 21-year-old newcomer to Oregon who was found dead in a crawl space of a home had been cut open and her baby taken from her womb, investigators said Monday. It couldn't be determined if the infant son of Heather Snively died before or after he was removed, the Washington County sheriff's department said in a statement.

A 27-year-old Beaverton woman, Korena Roberts, was to be arraigned Monday on a murder charge in Snively's death.

Investigators have said Roberts claimed Snively's infant was her own. Police were called to the home Friday because a newborn wasn't breathing. Doctors were unable to revive him and told officers that Roberts had not given birth. Police then found Snively's body at Roberts' home.

A medical examiner said Monday that Snively died of blunt and sharp force injuries.

"At this time, it has not been determined if she died because of head wounds she received or as a result of cutting injuries she received to her abdomen," the sheriff's office said.

Investigators said Roberts had been telling friends and family members for months that she was pregnant. They said Roberts may have been in contact with other pregnant women.

Snively had recently moved to Oregon from Maryland because her boyfriend and father of the child had found a better job. He reported Snively missing Friday night.

Snively's mother, Heidi Kidd of St. Albans, W.Va., said Snively met Roberts a few weeks ago through Craigslist, the online classified service. Roberts told Snively she was pregnant and wanted baby clothes, Kidd said. They befriended one another and kept talking online.

Kidd told The Associated Press on Sunday that her first grandson was to be named John Steven.

"I'm still in shock; it hasn't hit me," she said. "I mean, that initial phone call; I just couldn't believe it. I just could not believe I was talking about my own child."

---------------------------

Ore. investigators: Woman cut open, baby taken - Yahoo! News

Asher

My god, that is horrible. My thoughts go out to the family. : (

Babibear: I think I remember hearing something about that actually, but I do not know for sure.

- Asher

This happens more that you would expect.
    I recall John Waters mentioning these occurrences in This Filthy World.

Wow. That totally changed my mood. I am glad you posted it: it reminds us not to ever take security for granted, and especially when it comes to rl interaction. Even if 99/100 people are decent it only takes one to really mess things up. It is expected that people selling stuff or wanting to engage you in religion or sex are suspect; but to find out someone would lie about being pregnant - intentionally or delusionally - or about something like being a model railroader or an English major - something you would not think to question - really hammers the point home. Unfortunately, trusting no one is neither practical nor gets the greatest benefit in the long run; the best you can do is take all the precautions you can. Keep a diary of meeting online people or any stranger; take time to get to know someone; keep records; leave your travel itinery with someone. Plan as much as possible - and have a fallback in case something goes horribly wrong, like a credit card/spare ID in the hotel safe, check the spare tire, carry a cell phone.

But before we abandon all faith in human nature, let's remember that there have been meetups through this site and TBDL that went very well. The people involved took precautions and did business sensibly; this is not the place to expand on that but if you are going to meet up get lots of advice first; start with the staff; start a thread. If you are doing so in secret you probably should not be doing it at all.

I have to wonder if jail is the place for Roberts though. I also have to wonder if under a single payer healthcare system she might have had access to care that would have prevented the tragedy, in the case that she lacked it for financial reasons. Murderous delusional nutjobs probably don't carry health insurance; the event was probably inevitable, like the Manson murders. Probably is a long way from definitely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Wow. That totally changed my mood. I am glad you posted it: it reminds us not to ever take security for granted, and especially when it comes to rl interaction. Even if 99/100 people are decent it only takes one to really mess things up. It is expected that people selling stuff or wanting to engage you in religion or sex are suspect; but to find out someone would lie about being pregnant - intentionally or delusionally - or about something like being a model railroader or an English major - something you would not think to question - really hammers the point home. Unfortunately, trusting no one is neither practical nor gets the greatest benefit in the long run; the best you can do is take all the precautions you can. Keep a diary of meeting online people or any stranger; take time to get to know someone; keep records; leave your travel itinery with someone. Plan as much as possible - and have a fallback in case something goes horribly wrong, like a credit card/spare ID in the hotel safe, check the spare tire, carry a cell phone.

But before we abandon all faith in human nature, let's remember that there have been meetups through this site and TBDL that went very well. The people involved took precautions and did business sensibly; this is not the place to expand on that but if you are going to meet up get lots of advice first; start with the staff; start a thread. If you are doing so in secret you probably should not be doing it at all.

I have to wonder if jail is the place for Roberts though. I also have to wonder if under a single payer healthcare system she might have had access to care that would have prevented the tragedy, in the case that she lacked it for financial reasons. Murderous delusional nutjobs probably don't carry health insurance; the event was probably inevitable, like the Manson murders. Probably is a long way from definitely though.
    All very good points, Raccoon...me and my girl play with people from the Internet now and again, and we always leave the person's contact information with a friend. I don't rely on the fact that I'm a big burly guy to keep us safe...you never know if you're going to wind up tied up (one can only hope), drugged or taken by surprise. Stranger things have happened, as this story deftly illustrates.

If you haven't seen the French Film "l'interieur" (or "Inside," as it was called here in America), you should check it out. I've never seen violence like that performed on a person, let alone a pregnant woman. But...seriously, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you've eaten and are in a mood capable of handling some disturbing images before you watch it.

annierighthurr

Yeah this story is the headline of the newspaper every day here. For awhile they wouldn't tell how the lady died though I thought it was kind of obvious.

The whole thing is sick. The pregnant lady met the murderer on craigslist, looking to swap baby clothes. So they met up, and Roberts took her back to her house to "look at the clothes", and then she killed her and stole her baby. THEN she went to the hospital b/c the baby wasn't breathing and tried to claim she had just given birth.

:/ ew. ew.

That stuff is messed up. Just goes to show how hopeless the world can sometime seem.