View Poll Results: What will happen on June 12th when the TVs go blank?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apocalypse!

10 21.74%
  • Loot & Plunder

9 19.57%
  • Slow Death

9 19.57%
  • No Effect

25 54.35%
  • Get Real

15 32.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will June 12th be Doomsday?!

Butterfly Mage

Default Will June 12th be Doomsday?!

That's right, June 12th will be the day that the old-style analog TVs will stop working and millions of viewers will be greeted with static. The horror... the horror...

So, how do you think America will respond to not being able to watch Oprah, Montell, Judge Judy, and Dr Phill back-to-back?

-- Apocalypse: People go stark raving mad and start shooting each other and start burning down buildings.
    -- Loot and Plunder: People make mass raids on electronic retailers so they can get their TV "fix".
    -- Slow Death: People look at the blank screen and lose the will to live. They just stay indoors looking at the static until they starve to death.
    -- No Effect: Most people who actually watch TV have already upgraded, so the ones with bank screens won't notice since they already don't watch much TV.
    -- Getting Real: People rediscover books, art, literature, exercise, hobbies, and socializing.

As always, there are no wrong answers!

Darkfinn

I laugh at June 12th.

Seriously people... you've had 4 years to buy a converter box. If you don't have one by now then it's just too bad.

It pissed me off enough when they pushed back the date in the first place. I just want it to get over with so they won't play the advertisements about it on TV anymore.

Butterfly Mage

Personally, I think the transition is much ado about nothing. The people who actually enjoy TV have likely already bought the $50-$100 DAC or have bought a new TV. People like yours-truely, who don't give a damn about television, won't notice the difference.

I for one am looking forward to the convert date. Do you realize how many people in small towns are convinced that if they touch their TV cables the TV will explode? IF the there are as many idiots as I think their are in this town, I will be rolling on the dough June 12th.

Case in point When I had to pop open a older lady's computer in install a modem, she asked if I was sure it was safe to open and that she didn't think you were supposed to.

Screw you. I chose Get Real thinking it was the no effect one -__-. I just want it done with. You've had 4 years to buy one and people are fussing that they had no time. WTF, seriously is 4 years not enough time to buy one? They're what $50?

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Screw you. I chose Get Real thinking it was the no effect one -__-. I just want it done with. You've had 4 years to buy one and people are fussing that they had no time. WTF, seriously is 4 years not enough time to buy one? They're what $50?
    There was a time that you could have gotten a DAC for $10 since the government was offering coupons for a while. I have no sympathy for anyone who wants digital TV and hasn't upgraded.

Peachy

Maybe people will finally get up from their couches and loose a few calories while senselessly slapping their TVs in an attempt to restore reception, just to realize that their TV will forever remain blank unless they actually leave the house (shock! horror!) and get new hardware for their TV set.
    And while they're up, they may actually remove all the empty pizza boxes and take the trash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Maybe people will finally get up from their couches and loose a few calories while senselessly slapping their TVs in an attempt to restore reception, just to realize that their TV will forever remain blank unless they actually leave the house (shock! horror!) and get new hardware for their TV set.
    And while they're up, they may actually remove all the empty pizza boxes and take the trash out.
    Yeah that will happen, They will jsut have tehre red headed slave kid put a movie in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    I laugh at June 12th.

Seriously people... you've had 4 years to buy a converter box. If you don't have one by now then it's just too bad.

It pissed me off enough when they pushed back the date in the first place. I just want it to get over with so they won't play the advertisements about it on TV anymore.
    :thumbup: Right on DF!

I like this, a discussion about the freewave transition. Although what most people fail to realize is that it's freewave, meaning it's the stuff that is broadcasted for no additional charge for consumers. Which in the consumer nation which we are today, less than 1% of population is actually going to be affected by this, AND that those affected already watch rather little TV, since everyone who wants cable or satellite has it, since there isn't much on freewave to begin with.
    In fact, I might go as far to say that the people actually affected by this are the most normal people out their.