Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a good cure for depression

Default a good cure for depression

A good temporary cure for depression is labor, hard hard gruling physical labor. Yesterday I was really depressed when I went into work, once I got there I had to unload 100 train cars full of lumber I probably lifted 2500 lbs total during the day I worked 10 hours doing that. And I did feel better mainly b/c there was no time to be depressed b/c I was too tired. But it worked!

Yeah I agree with you there, If i'm at work and upset I do work harder, and it funny cause the other guys will hear me pushing my boxs down the line, and they will more there stuff out of the way for me, My boss says he wishies I would get pissed out more often lol. I've pulled hole routes bye my self before 3 other guys could do 1.

There's quite a bit of evidence to suggest that exercise is a great way to cure depression. Even light exercise like going on a walk helps!

Sweat your worries away!

Yeah I was alot happier when I worked everyday, and after I got hurt on the job after 10 years of theraphy walking 4 miles everyday made me feel good.

But I kept hurting myself walking so I had to stop, I miss it very much......you never know what you had untill it is taken away from you.

Like when I am depressed at work I will move as many 150 lbs rocks as humanly possible. I work like a slave! The other day I didn't even take a lunch break I worked 10 hours straight with no breaks and I did feel better afterwords.

My cure for depression is video games. Nothing cheers be up like making an NPC my b***h.

A good cure for depression is so stop being depressed. I feel it's an overly-diagnosed...Whatever you want to call it. Maybe I just don't understand it, or maybe pessimistic's get it? Who knows...

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    There's quite a bit of evidence to suggest that exercise is a great way to cure depression. Even light exercise like going on a walk helps!

Sweat your worries away!
    To put it simply: Exercising releases the "Happy" chemical in our brains. It's probably been naturally selected due to the fact that those who enjoyed exercising, back in the day, exercised more, and were therefore stronger (so more able to fight off predators, hunt for food, etc.), and healthier (so more likely to be a person that the girls would want to have children with, and more likely to have a naturally longer lifespan.)

Point being: Happy chemical is released when we exercise. Exercising makes us feel happier, to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    A good cure for depression is so stop being depressed. I feel it's an overly-diagnosed...Whatever you want to call it. Maybe I just don't understand it, or maybe pessimistic's get it? Who knows...
    No.... Sorry, sweetie. It doesn't work like that.

And you don't have to be thinking negatively to be depressed. A lot of times, I'll have no idea what I was thinking about to make myself feel so horrible, I just feel really f***ing horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    Good stuff
    Yes, all of that

Exercise can increase the release of endorphins and reduce levels of cortisol (a stress hormone (called that because stress triggers its release as part of the "fight or flight" response), which can also increase fat accumulation around the waist area, so two reasons not to have chronically high levels of it. Very good and helpful and necessary in small amounts and in times of stress (burst of energy, lower pain, etc.), but not all the time because of the strain on the body). It can help you feel a bit better when you are gloomy.

And also agree on the depression thing. I think the word "depression" is overused, but not the condition itself. People that say "I'm so depressed today" when they have a bad day but are not normally that way are misusing the word, and in that case, it might be easier to stop feeling bad by doing other things. Probably not a chemical imbalance condition in that case.

But the actual condition of depression is not so easily dealt with. It's a terrible and potentially life-destroying condition that can ruin you. People that have never experienced clinical depression don't really know, since it is so much different than just "feeling bad". It can alter your thoughts, make you think your life is awful and there is no hope, even when to a non-depressed person, this may seem like a silly thought. You aren't thinking right when you are depressed. Depression comes in cycles, different for each person. It can only happen once in your life, or it can be recurring. It will generally resolve by itself, but without treatment it may take months to years, and even then it will probably come back again. Hence medicine. If you don't truly have depression, the medicine will either do nothing for you, or cause other problems. It's tricky.

I can tell you...don't even wish true depression on your worst enemy. It's terrible...and terrifying, really, especially when you think about what you almost did or were thinking about when your mind clears again. Nyaa

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    And you don't have to be thinking negatively to be depressed. A lot of times, I'll have no idea what I was thinking about to make myself feel so horrible, I just feel really f***ing horrible.
    My psychology teacher put it this way: When you tell a person with depression to "snap out of it." It's like telling a person with a broken leg to "walk on it, you big baby."

Depression and other mental disorders are a real thing, not to be taken lightly.
    Although I do think that depression and OCD are self-diagnosed way too often. >.>