Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got another laptop... reformatted it and?

Default I got another laptop... reformatted it and?

Well yesterday I bought an older laptop ( Celeron M 1.2Ghz, 40GB Hdd, 512MB RAM, Windows XP )

For $80....

I burnt a disc and reformatted it, and its running XP Professional...

But seriously, whats up with this? I thought Celeron Processors were supposed to suck at multitasking?

The battery life is crazy. 4 and a half hours on a full charge.

Sure is snappy... I thought this would suck.

You paid to much, but whatever lols. At least that's to much I would pay for a laptop that old. But glad it works for you. IMO, running Arch Linux would make it even more snappier XD.

Don't try and watch any videos/movies/game on that thing and you'll see the battery life go way down. I assume you're not even using the laptop that much for it to have a 4 hour battery charge. My much newer laptop only lasts about an hour even doing simple word processing on it LOL. AMD Turion 64, 2ghz, 1gb RAM. But I checked in linux and it's only got a TOTAL LIFE of about 40 hours left on it or around 30% or something like that. So, it's getting to the point where I can't even use it unplugged. But that's my fault for NEVER using it on the battery, ever lol.

Error404

Bit of tweaking and I could have that running games with photoshop running in the background. 394MB of RAM and a Pent 2 and I can still get my XP system running games with no fuss.

Try and get Windows 7 RC working on it. It'd work just about as good as XP to. It's really good at memory management, etc.

Lol Windows 7 RC would kill it, you should have atleast 1 gig ram for that

But I do agree, my old laptop with windows XP pro, seem to run fast, well it play CS:S alot better than my new laptop does :\. Well with vista on it, I'm try CS:S on W7

Yeah I have a new laptop.. barely gets 2 hours on a full charge. and I am surprised, because this thing will run runescape without any problem on the battery and only at 60% CPU!

Really, I think I got a good deal on it because there is a market for used laptops and shit... this is a professional quality laptop I got ( Gateway M405 )

Sounds like it, I dont even try to run my new laptop with out it plugged in, It jsut dies way to fast, An my old laptop cant run off battery's well cause after 6 years I have managed to loss them both, :\

Quote Originally Posted by Siege89 View Post
    Lol Windows 7 RC would kill it, you should have atleast 1 gig ram for that

But I do agree, my old laptop with windows XP pro, seem to run fast, well it play CS:S alot better than my new laptop does :\. Well with vista on it, I'm try CS:S on W7
    I tested Windows 7 RC x86 on a older laptop. IBM Thinkpad, 398mb RAM or something and it ran it fine. Although it was super slow and such, but ran faster than I thought it would.

Well, minimum for XP is a Pentium 233mhz, 64MB of RAM and at least 1.5 GB of HD space so it stands to reason that 1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB would work. Heck, it was introduced fall of 2001. I seem to recall that XP worked better and faster on upper end hardware that could run ME just because of how much better XP was.

4 hrs!!! I thought 2.5 hrs was good for mine (well it used to but the battery is dying now) it's a Dell 1721 - 17'' screen AMD Turion x2 TL-60 (OC'd to 2.25GHz), 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, ATI X1300 and running Vista.