Thread: Mma

Default Mma

I was just wondering if anyone else here follows mixed martial arts. I think within the last year it's become my favorite sport. It makes boxing look like amateur hour, honestly (unless you go back and watch old Mike Tyson clips).

If so, who are some of your favorite fighters? What are some of the best fights you've seen? What are some of the fights you'd like to see?

I don't follow it at all, But I know my dad is into it, I guess he an a friend deveploed something called AMM050, I belive it stand for Armed Mix Martial Arts, I guess its for cops and such.

But I do have a dep under standing of the martail arts, an if I had the time I would start to pratice my self

Our school psychologist actually does it. One day he came into work with a black eye. I think he's pretty interesting for participating in something like that. He's actually a quiet sort of person.

I'll usually flip past MMA if I see it; boxing will tend to hold me there for a minute or two just to see who is fighting. I'll watch MMA from time to time (for instance, the ISKA stuff), but I typically prefer boxing over it.

It's harder to knock someone down/out in boxing than MMA; catch anyone with a good spinning heel to the solar plexus, and they're pretty much done. So in just a moment, everything can be over. In boxing, this is harder to do and, therefore, there is more time to dance and really feel out your opponent.

'Course, the only time I really watch boxing is Friday Night Fights, and that's only every so often. I'll typically watch classic bouts after that--the other week, the Tyson heavyweight belt-unification match (1986) was on.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'll usually flip past MMA if I see it; boxing will tend to hold me there for a minute or two just to see who is fighting. I'll watch MMA from time to time (for instance, the ISKA stuff), but I typically prefer boxing over it.

It's harder to knock someone down/out in boxing than MMA; catch anyone with a good spinning heel to the solar plexus, and they're pretty much done. So in just a moment, everything can be over. In boxing, this is harder to do and, therefore, there is more time to dance and really feel out your opponent.

'Course, the only time I really watch boxing is Friday Night Fights, and that's only every so often. I'll typically watch classic bouts after that--the other week, the Tyson heavyweight belt-unification match (1986) was on.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you about the classic bouts. Boxing has a longer history, and they are better at marketing their old classic fights. Once an MMA match is done, it's rarely heard from again (except on-line).

I love that sudden viciousness, though. A guy can be losing a fight and turn the whole thing around with one perfectly timed punch. Even your favorite fighter will eventually make a mistake and get floored. That's a huge allure for me, that unexpectedness.

I don't think MMA is immune from it, but I also don't like boxing's tendency to feel "fixed" sometimes. That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Oh. And I hate Don King with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with you about the classic bouts. Boxing has a longer history, and they are better at marketing their old classic fights. Once an MMA match is done, it's rarely heard from again (except on-line).

I love that sudden viciousness, though. A guy can be losing a fight and turn the whole thing around with one perfectly timed punch. Even your favorite fighter will eventually make a mistake and get floored. That's a huge allure for me, that unexpectedness.

I don't think MMA is immune from it, but I also don't like boxing's tendency to feel "fixed" sometimes. That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Oh. And I hate Don King with a passion.
    Funny you should bring up Don King. For years, I despised him based on his public-facing image and what I saw, what he said, etc. Didn't know what he was like in person, and didn't much care. He always seemed to have an air of, "I fix fights for profit, and manipulate fighters and managers into them" about him.

Then a friend of the family had lunch with him (I've no idea how this worked out, exactly) in 1991-1993 or so. She described how he really is as a person.

And I was right to despise him. He's a horrible little man, a nothing-person, a kind of hobgoblin shell with a creamy fondant center made from hatred and loathing.