Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to buy!

Red face I don't know what to buy!

Hi guys,

I recently bought a pack of Depend Pants for Women which are pull-ups and only hold about one wetting. I am quite disappointed at this because I would at least like to get two wettings out of a nappy.

So heres my question:
    I live in a large city with most major chemist retailers (Boots etc) and i wanted to know what the best brand of nappy was that I can go out and buy? There are a few things to consider however. They don't have to be pull-ups, they need to hold at least 2 wettings, I need to be able to go out and get them with ease (no internet shopping) and I live in England so no American shops.

Thanks guys and happy nappying!

Elli

I live in England and I like to avoid internet shopping for nappies. Here are the options that I have and that are likely to be the same for you.

1. Find a medical supply store (sometimes called mobility or independant living shops). These are the stores that sell walking frames, raised toilet seats, things to help people undo jars etc...things that help elderly and disabled people. I have been to two medical supply shops within the UK and both were not in a city centre but were either tucked down a side-street or are in quieter area of town. So, ironic though it seems, having a city centre shopping scene at your feet might not bring much opportunity to find what you want. Maybe do a search on the web for suppliers in your local area and see if there is a near-by supplier somewhere you might not have expected to find one.

Both stores I have been to, have stocked the Kendall Lille range of incontinence products inc. fitted nappies with tapes. It might perhaps help a web search to include that brand-name. I have tried Kendall Lille Supreme Fit (medium size) in Maxi and Regular Plus and have found them to be very absorbent. However, as Maxi nappies are thicker, you get less in a pack. I have found the fit to be as important as absorbency, and as Kendall Lille are a good fit, I find the Regular Plus perform almost as well as the Maxi. But this will be different for different people no doubt. There were 26 Regular Plus in a pack and that cost 20 when I bought them. The pack is large and won't fit in a back-pack like the ones you find on the shelves of Boots. If the cashier gives you a carrier bag, you could turn this inside-out to hide any give-away name of the store.

2. Find a Boots store that sells the tape version of their 'Stay Dry' range. As I previously said, not all stores seem to stock those.

Apart from those two options, I think pull-up pants are the only adult nappy option left without using internet. So...

3. Try pull-up pants with Leak Guards, like Tena Super, sold in SuperDrug. Leak Guards won't increase the absorbency, but do effectively hold liquid in by stopping it from easily flowing out of the leg cuffs. (All taped nappies have them.)

4. Although I've not tried these things myself, other people speak of using booster pads and/or doubling up nappies by cutting slits in the backing on the first one, to allow liquid to pass through to the second one.

Having said all this, I have not tried a nappy that's 100% reliable and never leaks. I'm not sure that one exists. I hope you have some success finding what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    I live in England and I like to avoid internet shopping for nappies. Here are the options that I have and that are likely to be the same for you.

1. Find a medical supply store (sometimes called mobility or independant living shops). These are the stores that sell walking frames, raised toilet seats, things to help people undo jars etc...things that help elderly and disabled people. I have been to two medical supply shops within the UK and both were not in a city centre but were either tucked down a side-street or are in quieter area of town. So, ironic though it seems, having a city centre shopping scene at your feet might not bring much opportunity to find what you want. Maybe do a search on the web for suppliers in your local area and see if there is a near-by supplier somewhere you might not have expected to find one.

Both stores I have been to, have stocked the Kendall Lille range of incontinence products inc. fitted nappies with tapes. It might perhaps help a web search to include that brand-name. I have tried Kendall Lille Supreme Fit (medium size) in Maxi and Regular Plus and have found them to be very absorbent. However, as Maxi nappies are thicker, you get less in a pack. I have found the fit to be as important as absorbency, and as Kendall Lille are a good fit, I find the Regular Plus perform almost as well as the Maxi. But this will be different for different people no doubt. There were 26 Regular Plus in a pack and that cost 20 when I bought them. The pack is large and won't fit in a back-pack like the ones you find on the shelves of Boots. If the cashier gives you a carrier bag, you could turn this inside-out to hide any give-away name of the store.

2. Find a Boots store that sells the tape version of their 'Stay Dry' range. As I previously said, not all stores seem to stock those.

Apart from those two options, I think pull-up pants are the only adult nappy option left without using internet. So...

3. Try pull-up pants with Leak Guards, like Tena Super, sold in SuperDrug. Leak Guards won't increase the absorbency, but do effectively hold liquid in by stopping it from easily flowing out of the leg cuffs. (All taped nappies have them.)

4. Although I've not tried these things myself, other people speak of using booster pads and/or doubling up nappies by cutting slits in the backing on the first one, to allow liquid to pass through to the second one.

Having said all this, I have not tried a nappy that's 100% reliable and never leaks. I'm not sure that one exists. I hope you have some success finding what you're looking for.
    Thanks you ever so much for the reply.

I had a quick look on the internet for medical supply shops in my area and this was the only one with a website:
    Continence & Toileting - Selles Medical

Could you please take a look and tell me which is my best option. Also, if you have time, could you possibly have a more thorough search on the internet for places to buy in Hull please as I have my GCSEs at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    I live in England and I like to avoid internet shopping for nappies.
    That's sort of like like NASA making a special pen to write in zero gravity when the Russians solved the problem by using a regular pencil. Just more trouble then it's worth. You can find far better diapers online then in most stores.

Anyways I don't live in Europe nor visited it at all. But I hear there are better brands that can be found in stores then here in America.

Elli

Fire2box - Hehe, yes, the quote does sound like a contradiction! But it is possible to buy quality supplies without going out of your way if you have a medical supply store locally. I have bought online too, but from Tender-care, that have the order-form and cheque option. I guess for some people buying online is as problematic as buying from a store is for others.

Anon - You are more than welcome to the info I have. It's nice to be able to help another person who finds England rather nappy-deprived! I'm glad you find the info helpful and you can use it to decide what you want to try. But, I cannot do things that would border on actively finding you some supplies, such as locating a shop or telling you which product to choose. It would not be appropriate for an adult to actively assist a teen with buying nappies. I mustn't leave myself vulnerable to accusation and you must be careful who you trust on the web. How about you concentrate on your GCSE's for a few weeks and then you can do your research and find some supplies for yourself as a reward for working hard? In the meantime, I hope your exams go really well. All the best

Darkfinn

dude... bumping your own threads is tasteless.

I kinda thought it had the rather familiar hint of chicken...or was it frog legs? I can't ever tell.

Elli

Yeah, anon, it can be a bit irritating if people 'bump' their threads. People reply to what interests them, or things they know about etc. If a thread you started drifts, I guess that's the nature of discussion. Subjects have their moment, then fade, but might be brought back up later, or not. I guess if you really have more to say on a thread, then add to it and you might revive it. But just 'bump' is a little like being in a conversation and someone saying, 'Oi listen to me again'. Just be wise to how you come across so you make yourself a respectable member. I'm sure you are just enthusiastic rather than self-centred, so make that clear, huh?

i know its wrong to bump my own posts but i really need help to try and find the answer to my question