Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Default Depression

From about...2004 until late 2005/early 2006, I was massively depressed. My wife had left me, and I was in such a state that...well, I cried from the first thing in the morning until I went to sleep for about the first six months, then felt relieved when I only cried once a day the remaining 18 months of the ordeal. I was always bipolar (ask my wife), but...this was bad even for me.

Around this time (late 2005) I committed a very violent act that made me buckle down and start looking at treatments. I was either going to kill myself or someone else if something didn't give. Reading on-line, I discovered Harvard research that suggested a link between Omega 3 fatty acids and depression. In the study, people were given 9.6 grams of Omega 3s a day, and began showing marked improvement in mood.

I read and read...so many people were getting turned on to this as a natural cure after being put on so many medications, and the vast majority of them were getting better. Well hell. I had nothing to lose.

Nothing happened the first week or two, taking 1 gram of Omega 3s a day. I was still the same cranky, suicidal bastard I always was. I upped my dosage to two grams. Within a couple days, things slowly began to change. After a week, I felt better than I had in a long time. I still hated my life because it was shit, but I didn't want to kill myself over it. Wow.

By the time I met up with my ex-wife at a restaurant a year and some months later (a week after our divorce, no less), she said I was a completely different person, and I am. Before, she had to worry which version of me was going to walk through the door. Now, she knows I'm going to be steady and wonderful, like usual.

Imagine her chagrin that I became the person she always thought I could be while we were apart. She wasn't too happy with herself about that. lol

So, in summation: I don't think Omega 3s are a miracle cure, but I do think they alleviate symptoms so you can deal with the problems in your life that are getting you caught up in a depression cycle.

Also, they don't deal with the manic side of my bipolarity completely. No, I don't get so amped up that I can't think anymore; however, there are days where I'm a little wacky. It's not unpleasant, really. It's just sometimes I'm a little...rambunctious.

It's something to think about, if you're going through a bout of depression. It may not work on situational depression but, at least for me, it worked on chemical depression.

Just something I wanted to pass on to you good folks.

I have been going throught the same thing for a while, An my eX lefted me cause i was always so mad, an depressed and so on, Well its been like 3-4 months now.

I havn't been so happy, Alot of my stress was HER, I know not saying its all women, it was her. She caused so much of it. I cought her cheating on me a few times, That caused a ton of stress in its self. Everything hade ot be her way. Plus she was in a wheel chair. I did so much for her. An she was so ungreatful.

But I have been so much happier, for a 2nd I thought bout killing her, No really I had it worked out in my head, It would have been full proof, I got help shortly after that thought, that also helped, No pills or nothing, jsut someone to talk to

But glad to hear your doing better also

What exactly does 2 grams of Omega-3 fatty oils look like?

I assume you were taking liqui-caps... I'm picturing a handful of these.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    What exactly does 2 grams of Omega-3 fatty oils look like?

I assume you were taking liqui-caps... I'm picturing a handful of these.
    I take three pills. They're highly concentrated with EPA, which is better for mood than DHA. I forgot to throw that in the post. I'm drunk. Whoopsy.

Then again, the fact that I can write this well after a night at the bar is kinda nice.

I think Flax Seed also has a good amount of Omega 3 in them, I know cause I've been drinking this fruit drink that has like 8 grams of flax seed, and it = like 4300 mg of Omega 3 or something like that

Idk I like reading the side of everything lol

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I take three pills. They're highly concentrated with EPA, which is better for mood than DHA. I forgot to throw that in the post. I'm drunk. Whoopsy.

Then again, the fact that I can write this well after a night at the bar is kinda nice.
    Awesome. Three is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Siege89 View Post
    I think Flax Seed also has a good amount of Omega 3 in them, I know cause I've been drinking this fruit drink that has like 8 grams of flax seed, and it = like 4300 mg of Omega 3 or something like that

/me hasI have Flax Seed as well. It does other good stuff for you, but fatty acids are in there, as you point out.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 06-Jun-2009 at 09:32. Reason: Thanks, IRC.

The thing about flax seed is that it doesn't contain actual Omega 3s, it contains alpha linoleic acid, which the body then breaks down into EPA and DHA. Researchers are unsure if flax seed's ALA has any effect on mood, so they're saying to go with fish oil for now.

It may prove that it does, but for caution's sake...

Ahhh ok I see, Well I love the Naked fruit Drink lol, I have like 3-4 a day, there spendy but taste SOOOO GOOD , an good for you, or atleast I hope so lol

Ahhh ok I see, Well I love the Naked fruit Drink lol, I have like 3-4 a day, there spendy but taste SOOOO GOOD , an good for you, or atleast I hope so lol
    If they have flax in them, evidently they are.

I normally don't get into fruit juices and drinks, but that one sounds good for you. It's tough to get Omega 3s into your diet, so anything that does that can't be all bad.

Well I think only one of them has Flax seed, I drink a couple of diff flavors, Some have algea and other odd things like that :\

the drink i was talking bout red machine

I cna buy them cheap at my work.

where there website Welcome to Naked Juice