Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible IBS?

Default Possible IBS?

Alright, this is me being paranoid. I've been having bowel problems (again) recently, mostly in the last week or so. This seems to be the same thing I suffered from two years ago.. the best way I can explain it is thus: horrible stomach/lower intestinal cramps, bloating, gas.. going #2 helps a lot, but it's like having constipation and diarrhea at the same time. :\

I looked on WebMD for the symptoms of IBS and noted these seem to match what's happening/has happened to me in the past:

Quote Originally Posted by WebMD
    * The pain is relieved by having a bowel movement.
    * The pain is linked to a change in how often you have a bowel movement.
    * The pain is linked to a change in the appearance or consistency of your stool.

# The way stools pass changes. You may strain, feel an urgent need to have a bowel movement, or feel that you haven't completely passed a stool.
    # You may have bloating or a feeling of gas in the intestines.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by WebMD
    Some people may have lower abdominal pain with constipation that is sometimes followed by diarrhea.
    ..explains what happens at the toilet.

The other day at work I had a minor accident... it was really embarrassing. It came on so fast, out of nowhere, I barely held it back in time. This was the first time I lost control, but I had previous close calls, where it felt like I had to RUN to the bathroom or else I wouldn't be able to hold it.

The most recent case was tonight, which made me want to ask questions. It was not this bad two years ago.

I'm not Lactose Intolerant. This has not been triggered by milk/cheese etc.
    I haven't had any major diet changes.
    I haven't been consistently eating something that would cause this to happen.

So, my question is, what should I do? Does this sound like IBS, or something else?

My chick has IBS...she takes acidophilus, and it eases her symptoms a great deal. This means there's probably a lack of good bacteria in her colon. It's something to consider.

Try to fix it on your own. Doctors love to prescribe expensive medications that drug companies pay them to prescribe. Maybe I'm a doctorphobe, but...if I can do it on my own, I'll try.

Thanks for the info, balancedchaos.

I'll take some Metamucil or something, hopefully that will make this go away.

Metamucil could be good to firm things up (I didn't want to type that, but there was no way around it).

If you're curious about acidophilus, just eat some live culture yogurt. It's in there.

IBS is more like a diagnoses of exclusion. Doctors really don't know why some people get it and others don't. Most people with it either have the diarrhea form, IBS-D, or the constipation form IBS-C. Some vacillate between diarrhea and constipation. I don't know how you can have both at the same time though. I've had this disease since I was a child. I get intestinal pain, cramps, gas and bloating that proceeds an immediate need to have a bowel movement. Oftentimes this happens very quickly and, as a result, I've had accidents and poopy pants too many times to recall. Since I turned 40 about a year ago and colon cancer runs in my family, I had a colonoscopy last year. The doctor confirmed my IBS by finding nothing unusual except for a hypertrophy in the large intestine muscle lining. My bowels are essentially overactive like my bladder. IBS can be brought on by many things (stress, diet, etc.), but I think more serious cases like mine start with faulty nerves. You can keep your bowels happier by eating plenty of fiber and staying away from fried and fatty foods. The latter tend to trigger an attack.
    Spaz

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    IBS is more like a diagnoses of exclusion. Doctors really don't know why some people get it and others don't. Most people with it either have the diarrhea form, IBS-D, or the constipation form IBS-C. Some vacillate between diarrhea and constipation. I don't know how you can have both at the same time though. I've had this disease since I was a child. I get intestinal pain, cramps, gas and bloating that proceeds an immediate need to have a bowel movement. Oftentimes this happens very quickly and, as a result, I've had accidents and poopy pants too many times to recall. Since I turned 40 about a year ago and colon cancer runs in my family, I had a colonoscopy last year. The doctor confirmed my IBS by finding nothing unusual except for a hypertrophy in the large intestine muscle lining. My bowels are essentially overactive like my bladder. IBS can be brought on by many things (stress, diet, etc.), but I think more serious cases like mine start with faulty nerves. You can keep your bowels happier by eating plenty of fiber and staying away from fried and fatty foods. The latter tend to trigger an attack.
    Spaz
    Thanks for all the info. It's not really the both at the same time, that's just the best I can describe it. I suppose another (more graphic) way to put it is there's smaller chunks of solid with some watery stool.

I don't eat much fried/fatty foods, seeing as my mom is a heath nut and a good cook.

Thanks again.

More information is always good so here goes.... My IBS bowel movements usually start out more solid and become more liquid. It sounds like that's what you were talking about when describing constipation and diarrhea at the same time.
    Spaz

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    More information is always good so here goes.... My IBS bowel movements usually start out more solid and become more liquid. It sounds like that's what you were talking about when describing constipation and diarrhea at the same time.
    Spaz
    Yeah... I've heard this elsewhere.

It came under the "plug of crap" theory.

I used to have similar problems. Write down what you eat. Then start getting rid of certain things. Find out what does it.

It looks like you are indeed experienceing IBS problems, like the other people look if your symptoms are triggered by food or other things (stress etc.). Stress has also agreat influence on the bowels, so my advice is to keep up a dairy..