Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Marriage Still A Religious Event?

Default Is Marriage Still A Religious Event?

I was going to make this thread a couple day ago but anyway do you think marriage is still a religious event or is it to the point where it common place in society today? The often excuse to why gay can't get marry is that marriage is a religion thing so therefore they shouldn't get marry.

Here how I look at it, Marriage is to point where it beyond a religion thing to a common thing in people life. I mean you can go on the Jerry Springer show and get marry by a drunk in front of million of redneck fan. How is that a religion thing?

Marriage licence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also since marriage involve more of the government these day, Marriage has move on from being a religion event to more of an government event. It like Christmas, where it started as a religion event then became a normal thing in people lives. So anyway what your opinion on this subject then?

Depends on who you ask. To the religious person, it's still a religious ceremony. To the secular person, it's just a ceremony about love and the two getting married with no outside meaning. To the non-romantic, it's just a contract.

Christians try to argue that marriage is a religious ceremony and has been for thousands of years; however, we don't apply those Dungeons & Dragons parables to most facets of our lives (fun things, like..."pride," or "not judging your neighbor"). Why should we apply them to love?

Absolutely not. It can have religious significance if you want it to, but in itself, it isn't any longer. When people do not even have to glance in the general direction of a church to get married and marriage licenses are given out by the government, there is no way it can be considered religious unless you make it religious by having it in a church. That it's "historical" means nothing. Many things have histories. Doesn't mean that those things are still done or thought of in that historical fashion, nor should they be. That's why that argument holds no real weight, and yet still people use it. Just because it has significance to you, doesn't mean you have to force that significance on others.

I dont think so. I think that it is a personal thing that you chose to do with the one you love. Whether that is gay, straight, or otherwise.

Depend on where you ask it! In America, I'm sure plenty of people would say yes, it is. But in Canada, it definatly isnt. Marriage is just a word that describes the act of uniting two people. You could call it "civil union" or anything else, but it will still be marriage.

Changing or rearanging words doesn't change the actual thing that you're talking about. If I called a dog a cat, that still wouldn't make the dog a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Depend on where you ask it! In America, I'm sure plenty of people would say yes, it is. But in Canada, it definatly isnt. Marriage is just a word that describes the act of uniting two people. You could call it "civil union" or anything else, but it will still be marriage.
    The same applies to Sweden. Most of the people I know who've gotten married haven't even been married by a priest, but by a state official.

Of course, a lot of people still get married in church here. I've never heard anybody saying they did it because of the religious aspect though, but rather because of tradition.

To me, yes, definitely. I plan to be wed in a church, with me and my husband exchanging vows before God. I firmly believe in marriage as "two becoming one"- a principle from Genesis- and so for me marriage will be a lifelong commitment to both my partner and God.

Not unless you make it such. For some people, it is a very religious thing. For others, it isn't.

the 'formal' union of a man and a woman predates all history and contemporary religions/politics as can discerned by the most important aspect of the marriage ceremony: the spoken vows.
    first and foremost, marriage is a local community affair. as with anything, if you forget, or choose to ignore, the fundamental principles of such anything, you'll flounder.