Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Born gay

Default Born gay

What is your opinion of this? I know a lot of people who are gay usually say you're born that way and are offended if you think otherwise, but im bi leaning more towards gay and I don't feel you were born that way at all. I think everyone is born asexual and that sexuality develops in your late pre-teen to teen stage.

The thing about it is that usually most people are inclined to think that if you don't believe you're born gay that you think you can magically decide your orientation at any given second, but I don't believe that at all. I think it ties into puberty and your surroundings growing up. Once you hit that developing stage you can't really change orientation from there because its a mental and emotional attachment to one or both sexes that's ingrained in you.

Although i'd have to question how there are stories of people changing orientation in alter stages of life, but that could be a number of things including suppressed feelings towards X sex or realization that you were never attracted to Y sex in the first place.
    OR ITS ALL A BIG MYSTERY NO IDEA.

I'm gonna stop here and see what your opinions are on this. I've been wanting to bring this up for a LONG time because I had a debate about it months ago in my Government class and I brought up that I thought it was surroundings that affected orientation and was quickly chastised for it with arguments that "why would you choose to live a harder life" and whatnot. I figure most people here would be able to debate it maturely.

(Also im probably thinking way too hard into this thread but i've been sitting here for half an hour trying to get all my thoughts together because im exhausted and having mass deja vu that i've made this topic before or posted in one like this...)

Would it make much of a difference wether youre born that way or irreversibly get an orientation in your teen or pre teen age? Both things cant be influenced or changed.

I'm gay myself and tend to believe its something genetic. But I really dont know.

Well I myself agree with you Ganymede about the "being born asexual" comment. I believe people later find out what they're attractive to when the thought of sex or sexual desires appear in the brain whether it be pre-teen, teen, or adult years. Now according to science, sometimes during pregnancy, babies while still in the stomach get more female hormones than male hormones while still being developed, and sometimes vice versa. Now when puberty hits, the hormones are sent to the brain for reproduction reasons. With the hormones your body develops growing up mixed with the hormones you got while being developed, that is what helps determine your sexuality. Now although this may occur, unless its a rare case (Their has been), its what happens growing up that helps you decide your sexuality. In my opinion, That's why along the way in life, people can change sexualities and be born not wanting sex. That would also explain why some people grow up being Asexual. Puberty doesn't kick in for a while, or puberty kicks in, but you don't get the signals to your brain, therefore you're not sexually active or at least not wanting to mate or have sex. I don't believe you can be born sexual, and become Asexual later which is what supports my theory.

~Rubix
    Last edited by RubixFox; 02-Jun-2009 at 01:06.

I believe that being gay is a genetic defect, as it is normally in the genes to go on to reproduce and keep the species living. However having an attraction to the opposte sex does not follow that. Also I believe being asexual is a genetic defect as it is most likely caused by lack of sexual hormones being produced, however I do not believe being transgender is a genetic defect as they may still feel attracted to the opposite sex, or if a male is transgender they may consider themselves a lesbian if they are attracted to girls (I don't know, just a stab in the dark. Could you shed some light, mes?)

I believe you're born gay, or straight, or asexual, or bisexual. Just like you're born with some fetishes. IIRC, they have even proved you are born with certain fetishes, like a foot fetish. The part of the brain that has to do with feet is next to the sex part, and if those wires get crossed, bam, foot fetish. (PS, don't even bother asking me to "prove it" I hate debating... and I don't know if that study went beyond just a foot fetish.)

Hasn't there been studies showing the difference between the brain of a straight person, and a gay person?

Also, I know I was born straight... I remember all the crushes I had when I was a little girl were all on other little boys.

Quote Originally Posted by ajsco View Post
    I believe that being gay is a genetic defect, as it is normally in the genes to go on to reproduce and keep the species living. However having an attraction to the opposte sex does not follow that. Also I believe being asexual is a genetic defect as it is most likely caused by lack of sexual hormones being produced, however I do not believe being transgender is a genetic defect as they may still feel attracted to the opposite sex, or if a male is transgender they may consider themselves a lesbian if they are attracted to girls (I don't know, just a stab in the dark. Could you shed some light, mes?)
    I would suggest re-wording your post. I don't think you did it on purpose (If you did, shame on you!) but being gay, or asexual, or transgendered is hardly a "defect."

Mako

Homosexuality is something readily observable in several species of animals. If it were nurture based, as are most fetish's, then homosexuality would be an exclusive human trait. But it isn't.

Well people really aren't born left or right handed from what I heard and I see no real reason why someone who be born with a certain dispossession to people's sex unless it was to find a mate a reproduce and that's purely from a logical stand point. Either way I have wonder how Darwin would feel about gay's.

It's probably a mix. It's not purely something people are born with, but that could be a very big part of it. I just think it's really complicated and not easily explained. Some people say they're straight, then they change their minds. Some people say they're gay, then they change their minds. So it's not simple.

Asher

Why can't it be both? It could be both genetic factors induced by hormones in the pre-teen/teen years, or it could be environment factors. It could always be other reasons at work here too. But why can't it just be a mix of all of the factors?

Most issues are not just black and white; normally, they are right in the middle or "gray" in color. Most likely, it is not just one thing, but a mix of many different factors working together to create a certain effect.

- Asher

Bit of gene stuff + bit of early experiences = Sexuality.

That's what I think basically.

I'm sure part of sexuality is determined by the genes, but I know my fetish came from experiences, so both I think.