Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abena X-Plus vs. Bambino Bianco Quantitative Test

Default Abena X-Plus vs. Bambino Bianco Quantitative Test

I have to say that the results surprised me quite a bit.

I tested the absolute absorbency of the Abena X-Plus and the Bambino Bianco by first weighing them dry and then weighing them after soaking them in water for 10 minutes, then letting them hang to dry for 10 minutes. I also did the same thing for the Abri-Let Maxi and the Bambino Quadro. I used a kitchen scale that measures to the closest 5g; not that it really mattered in the end, there was one very clear winner...

Dry weights:

Abena X-Plus - 185g
    Bambino - 165g

Abri-Let Maxi - 70g
    Bambino Quadro - 45g

Wet weights:

Abena X-Plus - 4255g
    Bambino Bianco - ~6600g !! It actually exceeded the kitchen scale's range so I weighed it on my bathroom scale (14lbs.) and converted the result.

Abri-Let Maxi - 620g - this had a lot of press out/runoff when I hung it up because it is mostly pulp. It also compressed in thickness as well.
    Bambino Quadro - 1880g !! This one swelled to almost quadruple the thickeness of the Abri-Let !! I will post a picture to my gallery of the comparison. It is impressive considering the dry comparison pictures.

Wet Bambino Quadro and Abri-let Maxi Picture

Needless to say the Bambino products have, by far, the greater absolute absorbancy (and much better press out characteristics).

The only thing is that, I've never come close to reaching the capacity of Bambinos; whereas, I always seem close to maxing out the Abenas. The Bambinos always leak well before full capacity for me. I seem to get more wear time out of the Abenas.
    Last edited by Skeeter; 27-May-2009 at 01:37. Reason: Added picture

Darkfinn

Very interesting (and scientific) results. Thank you for posting them.

I have made Bambinos leak a few times... though this was always out of sheer negligence on my part. I typically know when to change... but when you are just too lazy you pay the price.

The test Iíve envisioned but never tried would be to pour in a known quantity of water and sleep over night in it checking for leaks in the morning. Using more water each night until they leak would give a fair comparison of the various brands real world capacity.

Darkfinn

Honestly the only real-world testing for diapers involves real-world wearing. Trying to pour in various quantities of water does not simulate urination or the way urine enters the diaper. Plus the amount of salts and fats in your urine can effect a diaper's capacity, plus the weight of the wearer and etc. Bench-testing is only useful in a laboratory... different things occur in the real world.

If you want to know how a diaper really performs... ask people that use them regularly, they'll let you know.

im kinda surprised that the bambino won, but at the same time im not. I would think the Abenas would produce more consistent results than the bambino seeing as they are a largely mass produced diaper while the bambinos are not as highly produced. In any case i would go with the abena over the bambino

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    I have made Bambinos leak a few times... though this was always out of sheer negligence on my part. I typically know when to change... but when you are just too lazy you pay the price.
    The only reason they leaked is because I was intentionally pushing them. I can usually last a whole day at work in an Abena, without leaks. With Bambinos I always leak at about the 6 hour mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    The test Iíve envisioned but never tried would be to pour in a known quantity of water and sleep over night in it checking for leaks in the morning. Using more water each night until they leak would give a fair comparison of the various brands real world capacity.
    The Bambino would win a test like this hands down. The SAP does not let any water out once it's locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Honestly the only real-world testing for diapers involves real-world wearing. Trying to pour in various quantities of water does not simulate urination or the way urine enters the diaper. Plus the amount of salts and fats in your urine can effect a diaper's capacity, plus the weight of the wearer and etc. Bench-testing is only useful in a laboratory... different things occur in the real world.

If you want to know how a diaper really performs... ask people that use them regularly, they'll let you know.
    I completely agree. That is why the test surprised me. I would have thought the capacities would have been closer given my experience with both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TallestBabyEver View Post
    im kinda surprised that the bambino won, but at the same time im not. I would think the Abenas would produce more consistent results than the bambino seeing as they are a largely mass produced diaper while the bambinos are not as highly produced. In any case i would go with the abena over the bambino
    Actually I think the Bambinos have better quality. They are really trying to cater to a niche market. Abenas just don't have the consistent quality that Bambinos have in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    The Bambino would win a test like this hands down. The SAP does not let any water out once it's locked in.
    That is the info I was seeking however I ordered the X-Pluses just a few minutes ago. Next time! Ive tryed most of the major brands and store brands too and am still looking for that perfect soggy sleeper that won't leak.

Water =/= to urine but a good test indeed. I believe the salts and other minerals not absorbed by the water [only?] absorbing super-crystals that eventually cover the surface of the diaper aren't factored in when you do these water absorption test so a real-world test can and may be indeed drastically different.

i've never tried Abena myself, but i have (and am wearing now) a bambino, and i must say the absorbency is amazing.

I noticed some people saying they had leaks after awhile, which confused me. I wear a Bambino from morning till night sometimes, and it only leaks when i've flooded it beyond it's capacity, but never just in walking/sitting around in it.
    I guess it's just how you put them on, body type, and what size you wear, which is why people always disagree on performance of a particular diaper.
    However, i can't really say because as i said i've never worn an Abena

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    The only reason they leaked is because I was intentionally pushing them. I can usually last a whole day at work in an Abena, without leaks. With Bambinos I always leak at about the 6 hour mark.
    Ah... this illustrates exactly what I am talking about. As long as I'm not intentionally drinking large amounts of fluid a Bambino will last me from 8AM to 6PM. Abena X-plus is typically right there with it, but the padding in the X-plus tends to clump up when you are active and moving around... Bambinos don't do that.

Also, I have noticed that Abenas have a tendancy to seep moisture through the outer cover as they get close to capacity... Bambinos don't do that either.