Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huh. This looks nothing like Pismo Beach.

Default Huh. This looks nothing like Pismo Beach.

Hey. New here. I'm not a big poster, and I'll likely lurk some until I get my bearings and how things are dome here. I call myself BadPenny, because as I always tell people "I always turn up".

Anyway, if you have any questions, ask away. The worst I can do is tell you that I can't answer it. Please don't get too personal; I'm fairly private an kinda shy.

hey Penny, and welcome to ADISC.
    what sort of things are you into? movies, books, games, that kind of stuff?
    feel free to engage in as many or as few discussions as you like, and don't feel that you have to talk about stuff you're uncomfortable with.
    anyway, welcome again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimble View Post
    hey Penny, and welcome to ADISC.
    what sort of things are you into? movies, books, games, that kind of stuff?
    feel free to engage in as many or as few discussions as you like, and don't feel that you have to talk about stuff you're uncomfortable with.
    anyway, welcome again.
    Movies- cheesy horror movies, dark comedies, film noir and the odd action flick. I like my movies to be smart and entertaining, mostly.

Books- historical dramas, alternative fantasy (no orcs n' elves, thank you), hard science fiction.

Games- I play Final Fantasy XI in my spare time, and I like puzzle and strategy games. I find most action games tiring except in small doses. I also like and collect pencil and paper RPGs.

I'm also a night owl. The light of day, it burns us, it does...

Quote Originally Posted by BadPenny View Post
    Movies- cheesy horror movies,
    What is cheesy? B? B & W?

dark comedies,
    They Live? Fight Club? Or dark ones with comedic moments, like Drug Store Cowboy? (Showtime!!)

film noir and the odd action flick. I like my movies to be smart and entertaining, mostly.

Books- historical dramas, alternative fantasy (no orcs n' elves, thank you)
    ,such as? And what's wrong with Orcs 'n Elves?

hard science fiction.
    also, such as? Not space operas?

Games- I play Final Fantasy XI in my spare time, and I like puzzle and strategy games.
    Moar info please - otherwise you are just teasing!

I find most action games tiring except in small doses. I also like and collect pencil and paper RPGs.
    Hmmm

I'm also a night owl. The light of day, it burns us, it does...
    Ah, I am also quasi-nocturnal, and semi-hibernatory. And now I must go; my colour is out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    What is cheesy? B? B & W?
    Well... everyone likes the Evil Dead series, but I alo like other B movies zombie knockoffs, like Dawn of the Dead, [/i]Day of the Dead[/i], Return of the Living Dead....

There's also plenty of other odd below B-movies, but most just try too hard to be bad. A note to Hollyweird: a big budget doesn't mean a good movie, it just means you have a more expensive rope to hang yourselves with.

They Live? Fight Club?
    They Live was good (Piper does a pretty fine job). Fight Club I found a bit overblown and pretentious. It tries too hard. I recently bought My Name is Bruce (aka the Bruce Campbell story), and that's a shlockily fun comedy-horror flick.

,such as?
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein is a good example. Unfortunately, there just isn't very many good hard science fiction books out there. Hard sci-fi isn't as appealing to most folks, but I find "softer" sci fi isn't very good, probably because I han aroud way too many scientists n real life. Once you know how things work, the handwavium of the softer stuff just breaks believability.

also, such as? Not space operas?
    No so much, no. I can dig turn of the century pulps and steampunk, though, probably because those kinds of boks aren't trying to convince that what you're reading has any real science in it.

Moar info please - otherwise you are just teasing!
    What do you want to know? FF XI is Square-Enix's MMORPG. I've been playing for about four years now. Telling you in detail would be a considerable feat considering how huge and deep the game is. My main character is current a Dragoon, a warrior type that uses lances and spears as their main weapon. They use a variety of jumping attacks in addition to their array of normal attacks, and the 'goon is never seen anywhere without their Wyvern pet.

Hmmm

I'm also a night owl. Ah, I am also quasi-nocturnal, and semi-hibernatory.
    I've never slept well at night. I don't know why.

Well... everyone likes the Evil Dead series, but I alo like other B movies zombie knockoffs, like Dawn of the Dead, [/i]Day of the Dead[/i], Return of the Living Dead....
    I am going to see Evil Dead the Musical next week. Should be a good time!

Welcome to ADISC!

I played FFXI once, when a friend convinced me to try it, but I gave up after I couldn't figure out how to move my character reliably =(

I recently bought My Name is Bruce (aka the Bruce Campbell story), and that's a shlockily fun comedy-horror flick.
    Have you seen Bubba Ho-tep? It's has Bruce Campbell as an aged Elvis living in a nursing home with an old black guy who thinks he's JFK (who survived the assassination and was dyed black) fighting a mummy. It's awesome.

Also, welcome to ADISC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    Have you seen Bubba Ho-tep? It's has Bruce Campbell as an aged Elvis living in a nursing home with an old black guy who thinks he's JFK (who survived the assassination and was dyed black) fighting a mummy. It's awesome.

Also, welcome to ADISC.
    I have Bubba Ho Tep on DVD. It's Bruce Campbell, the king of B movies, after all.

angelabauer

Hi BadPenny,
    Welcome to ADISC.

My husband and I have very good friends who live in Pismo Beach. Another couple we know live just southeast of Pismo in Arroyo Grande. That is a lovely part of the California Central Coast.

Have you visited California? We live in Pasadena near Los Angeles.