Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compliments & Little Acts of Kindness

Red face Compliments & Little Acts of Kindness

My day revolves around these things. I find that giving someone a compliment, and receiving a smile in return is one of the best things in the world. Or receiving a compliment, that's just as great.

For example... Today, there was a lady in a wheelchair. On my way on the bus, I said to her "I really like your hair, it's very pretty and soft looking." She smiled, and I continued to the back. On my way out, she stopped me, and said "Thanks," with a huge, warm, smile on her face. I know it's a bit corny, but it made me feel really good to know that I made her day, or at least made her happy for a bit by saying one little thing.

Or even smiling at someone. Isn't there a saying like "one smile can turn to a million" or similar. I really believe that, and when I get a smile back, that's a good feeling.

I don't go way out of my way, but at least once a day (most days a lot more than that) I try to compliment someone, and I smile at most everyone. It makes me feel good, and I know it makes some others feel good, too. Does anyone else do something similar, or at least identify with part of what I said?

I identify entirely, Abby.

There's absolutely no harm in being able to offer to someone a good compliment or giving them a reason to smile. It's so wonderful that you said what you did to her -- no doubt that really did make her day, and she'll remember that for quite some time!

I feel the same way, especially when it comes to just a simple 'please' and 'thank you' or holding the door for someone.

I'm too shy to do crap like that...I do smile at people if they're looking at me though. I don't want to look like an asshole

What about at work, Pojo? I know at work (I didn't count work because... I'm not "expected" but I consider being pleasent part of my job) I will give all little kids stickers that I bought. They really enjoy it, and if it makes the kids happy, it makes the parents happy... then parents come back to shop again. As well as complimenting peoples purchases (things like "oh, very pretty plants!" or "I bet that colour will look wonderful") and joking with them and stuff. I am a bit shy, too when it comes to people... I guess i'm just not shy in regards to small talk.

As a human, I think we all desire acknowledgment on some level, as being a part of society. When you complimented her, you reinforced her connection with society. That feeling that you had, is something primal to me, knowing that you have had a positive effect on someone elses well being, without worrying what benefit you will receive. I get it when I stop my truck in the middle of traffic to help someone push their broken down vehicle off the road, offer to open a door or help an older person load something in their car. Or just smiling and saying hi. That doesn't happen as much lately because I've been caught up in my own BS alot more than I really care to be (but the pills are taking care of that *twitch*) and I haven't been focused outward as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    What about at work, Pojo? I know at work (I didn't count work because... I'm not "expected" but I consider being pleasent part of my job) I will give all little kids stickers that I bought. They really enjoy it, and if it makes the kids happy, it makes the parents happy... then parents come back to shop again. As well as complimenting peoples purchases (things like "oh, very pretty plants!" or "I bet that colour will look wonderful") and joking with them and stuff. I am a bit shy, too when it comes to people... I guess i'm just not shy in regards to small talk.

If I have to do register, the most I'll say is "Hi, how are you". Even that I don't always say. I hate kids, so I'm not going out of my way to do anything with them. If it's like a baby smiling at me, I'll smile back or whatever, but that's the extent. I'd honestly rather not deal with people. I'd much rather prefer just to keep with myself and get my work done.

All of my friends think I'm the happiest, nicest person who ever lived because I follow this principle. Whenever anyone is complaining about something, I mention the good things, whenever someone is haveing a bad day, I smile and encourage them to think positivly. It makes me feal so much better to give a compliment than to get one.

EmeraldsAndLime

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I hate both giving and receiving compliments. They're just not my thing since I'm generally frugal in everything I do (sex aside o_O), which I do with my own volition. I don't need someone to tell me my performance rating.

I'm far too shy to compliment people randomly, but I will hold doors for others and smile at people walking by me when I have the chance. n.n;

I very much like the quote in my sig on this topic. n.n;;