Onesie sizing advice

Bobsled

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I thought buying a onesie would be easy. But for most products my chest size and the shoulder to crotch length don’t match. I am a 5’ 10” man who normally wears a medium sized shirt. I am looking at the Tykables Snappies. But my 37” chest size seems to suggest a small but the length on that is 27”. My measured length is 31”. That equates to a 46” chest size, which would be way too big. If I got a medium (40” chest, 28” length), would it stretch to length? Would a large (42” chest, 30” length) be better? Or do I need to buy a different brand that better fits my proportions?

Bobsled said:
I thought buying a onesie would be easy. But for most products my chest size and the shoulder to crotch length don’t match. I am a 5’ 10” man who normally wears a medium sized shirt. I am looking at the Tykables Snappies. But my 37” chest size seems to suggest a small but the length on that is 27”. My measured length is 31”. That equates to a 46” chest size, which would be way too big. If I got a medium (40” chest, 28” length), would it stretch to length? Would a large (42” chest, 30” length) be better? Or do I need to buy a different brand that better fits my proportions?

Try the size chart over at www. Babykins.com you might find better sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed that a lot of clothes in the AB world tend to run small so getting the next size up might work better.

I wear baby pants onesies, I'm 6ft with a 34" waist, flat stomach and proportional sized chest, my normal standard cotton t-shirt size is large, but my onesie size is medium (most are 100% cotton and will shrink after a few washes) plus you want a little bit extra "seat room" for your diaper so it can be swaddled once it starts getting wet. Hope that helps

Bobsled said:

People way over think the size charts on shirts and bodysuits. For one you do not want one that is your size as that would be skin tight around the chest or other places; literally. Our Snappies are specifically designed like shirts, and fit like them as well. If you normally wear a medium shirt from other department stores, buy a medium. Buy whatever size shirt you normally would.

Reactions: neophyte
dogboy said:
I've noticed that a lot of clothes in the AB world tend to run small so getting the next size up might work better.

Not just there.
I once got me one-piece leathers for my motorcycle and even the charts indicated the right size but then I got it and it was way too small. It fit both arms and legs perfect but between. It pulled up into the crotch while the shoulder felt like pulled down and the entire upper body felt like a sausage pressed into its skin. Since I've tried a lot of one piece leathers but unfortunately they are either too big or too small despite showing the right size. Unless I pay odd dosh for a hand made suiting one I won't get one.
Rotten anatomy :laugh:

Andybun said:
Not just there.
I once got me one-piece leathers for my motorcycle and even the charts indicated the right size but then I got it and it was way too small. It fit both arms and legs perfect but between. It pulled up into the crotch while the shoulder felt like pulled down and the entire upper body felt like a sausage pressed into its skin. Since I've tried a lot of one piece leathers but unfortunately they are either too big or too small despite showing the right size. Unless I pay odd dosh for a hand made suiting one I won't get one.
Rotten anatomy :laugh:

Hey andybun

Yeah had the same issue with my one piece leathers too. I have a dainese laguna seca that fits good. They are not meant to do anything other than riding. So to say when you stand up the crotch gives you camel toe. That is the way they are designed. The dainese is ok but it does pull in the crotch a little.

todaler said:
If you normally wear a medium shirt from other department stores, buy a medium. Buy whatever size shirt you normally would.

Thank you! I just did that.

I ordered a white t-shirt onesie from Tykables and a black one from Rearz - both in medium. The length on both seems about the same. But the Rearz is more form- fitting. The Tykables is looser in the waist and chest (my waist is 33” and chest is 37”), but not unlike I might expect in a t-shirt. Both stretch, so either is comfortable. The Tykables is crotch flap is a bit wider, and the material on which the snaps are located seems a bit more substantial. So far, I like the both. But I haven’t worn them much. Nor have they been laundered. I was concerned about the length being too long or short. But that seems OK. Even if it shrinks a bit, I thing the stretchiness of the material will take care of that.

The Tykables onesies are really stretchy. They don't really need to be matched to be loose enough. Pay attention to the Max stretch and make sure you're somewhere in the middle. If they are hanging on you, I would definitely decrease size.

I've had my Tykables onesies for well over a year now and washed in warm water. I wear them very often. It hasn't really shrunk much at all. The only thing is that the color fades away, wash then by themselves first.

I haven't tried Rearz onesies, so I don't know anything about those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

redhawkpath said:
Hey andybun

Yeah had the same issue with my one piece leathers too. I have a dainese laguna seca that fits good. They are not meant to do anything other than riding. So to say when you stand up the crotch gives you camel toe. That is the way they are designed. The dainese is ok but it does pull in the crotch a little.
I wouldn't mind the camel toe if I got my shoulder width get fitted in. I know they gotta be tight, but too tight ain't that good either. Maybe I'll have a look for the Laguna Seca one when my local dealer starts spring sale. Thanks for the hint there.

On the topic of onesies, I like the basic idea but not how most are cut. I find them way too wide in crotch area which means that they will get wet rather quick. I prefer onesies and jumpsuits for ladies as they are cut much narrower between the legs and therefore do not tend to rub against the skin as bad the wider ones.

Bobsled said:
I ordered a white t-shirt onesie from Tykables and a black one from Rearz - both in medium. The length on both seems about the same. But the Rearz is more form- fitting. The Tykables is looser in the waist and chest (my waist is 33” and chest is 37”), but not unlike I might expect in a t-shirt. Both stretch, so either is comfortable. The Tykables is crotch flap is a bit wider, and the material on which the snaps are located seems a bit more substantial. So far, I like the both. But I haven’t worn them much. Nor have they been laundered. I was concerned about the length being too long or short. But that seems OK. Even if it shrinks a bit, I thing the stretchiness of the material will take care of that.

Thanks for sharing, I'm wondering myself if I should buy a large or medium from Tykables? I'm 5'11; 195lbs, 33" waist

like you I have a black Rearz tee/onesie, but in LARGE. It fits me a bit loose. If you were to order from Tykables again would you get small or medium?

I want to order a tee and a romper.

EDIT: I just placed an order with Tykables for a medium tee and romper!!

Last edited:
Look up the sizing for 4Care Bodysuits at The Betty Mills Company. I am six feet tall and have a thirty six inch waist . The Large fits fine but the extra large is better if I'm wearing a stuffed bra.

My Tykables Romper and Onesie T-Shirt (both black) arrived and I must say that I am very happy with the quality and fit.

I am 5'11 tall; 200lbs; chest is 43", waist is 40" measured (pant size is 33). I got a medium and its the right size for me; I'm sure a small would fit if I wanted a really tight fit.

• The material is good quality cotton with a bit of stretch (spandex); it is not thin material (like the rearz onesie tee that I got; but is also decent).
  • The trim around the neck is perfect
  • If you wear it as an undershirt the neck stays put and doesn't sag down
  • The buttons are a good size and easy to snap
  • I ordered a medium and it fits like a medium; maybe a tad bit bigger than my usual mediums.
  • Shoulder length is spot on
  • Stitching is good!
  • The shipping label did say TYKABLES as the sender, not Tyk.
  • I could see myself using the romper as pjs, or thermal wear on a cold day (Canada life).

A bit on the pricey side but the quality is there! I will be wearing the romper as a base layer diapered or not!

Last edited:
neophyte said:
  • The shipping label did say TYKABLES as the sender, not Tyk.
Our shipping labels should say "Fulfillment center" on them, it is our credit cards that should say Tyk LLC. When did you order this and where from? Ie did you order this on Tykables.com or Amazon etc. Please feel free to respond here or message us directly and please let us know the order number so we can look into that.

Last edited:
todaler said:
Our shipping labels should say "Fulfillment center" on them, it is our credit cards that should say Tyk LLC. When did you order this and where from? Ie did you order this on Tykables.com or Amazon etc. Please feel free to respond here or message us directly and please let us know the order number so we can look into that.

NP! Order # US44913 via tykables.com; shipped to Canada. I'd provide a photo but the package is in the trash now.

Here's a fresh one for you - Order # US45229

Last edited:
Canadian orders, I think there might be something about that because the declaration has to match the from portion but I thought it was different. I looked at yours and it does have a few thigns on there that shouldn't be, thanks for letting us know. It must have changed when we moved to the new location because I think it was different before hand. I have reached out to our rep about this to see what options are for it.

Last edited:
^ Not a problem for me!

Again, your materials and quality are spot on, good job.

Back