What was ur childhood musical instrument?

I had wanted to play the base clarinet, but was told I had to learn and get good with a regular clarinet first. I made it to 2nd seat as a high school freshman, but for a number of reasons wasn't able to go bigger so I dropped it outright.

I played violin in 6th grade through 8th grade but give it up then. I wasn't all that into classical
music at that time.

I played clarinet up until 7th grade. I took it up again at age 50 and I thought I would lose my talent over the years. But I am just as bad as I was then. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

perlFerret said:
Guitar for 16 years. Then I learned Chapman Stick and keyboards. Not great at either but still good at guitar when I get a chance to play, which is not often.

I too learned to play the guitar.
Private lessons.
Jazz Accompanyment.
A little rusty nowadays.
Right now my guitar needs a new "B" string tuning peg & mechanism.

oleman72 said:
I played violin in 6th grade through 8th grade but give it up then. I wasn't all that into classical
music at that time.

My brother has our late Dad's Violin.
It is something like between 150 to 200 years old.
It was made in Germany.
As for value, it is probably worth something like $10,000.00.

I started with a cello in 5th grade. 'they' changed it to violin. I had mastered 'Twinkle twinkle little star" and going to "mary had a little lamb" , re-strung it the way I thought it should be, 'they' disagreed, took it gently from my hands and suggested I should take up woodworking. They had a Recorder class but I was bummed about the fiddle... busted my feet and legs and my nieces got a bag of toys from school... had a recorder... they were running around the apartment blowing like a whistle, I said "here, give me that, I'll learn to play it right... 28 years since had an instrument...

I’ve been playing saxophone for about 7 and a half years now. I’m currently in college studying it. I also learned euphonium as a second instrument a while back

Trombone. I started in the 6th grade using my older brother's old horn. I stayed with it for a little over 7 years, through high school and even a very brief stint in college. I still have my starter trombone and the nicer one I got as an upgrade my senior year of high school. I should probably pull them back out and play every now and then; I do miss being part of a band.

Testing 1 2 3

Last edited by a moderator:
GumbDrop said:
I play percussion and i am in college for it but i tried guitar and trumpet and both failed lmao
Guitar! Still love playing it to this day.

caitianx said:
I too learned to play the guitar.
Private lessons.
Jazz Accompanyment.
A little rusty nowadays.
Right now my guitar needs a new "B" string tuning peg & mechanism.

I have two that are strung that I play. A Mexican strat and a Yamaha 12-string. I have my late father's collection as well. He was a songwriter back in the day and hung out with lots of people who went on to have million-selling records but he never sold anything. Those aren't strung right now. There's a 1982 Ovation Balladeer custom, a 1983 Ovation Balladeer nylon string, a 1972 Electra formerly owned by Joan Baez, and a mid-60s Mugen Mark I folk guitar he bought for my mom but she never played.

All in great condition except the '82 Ovation custom has a small chunk of headstock finish missing due to a mishap that occurred while my dad was still playing it and the '72 electra that my mom's idiot brother dropped in the '90s and broke and then had the neck repaired incompetently and is now not playable since the neck relief is shot. It needs a ton of work to put back into shape. :(

Last edited:
Started taking piano lessons at 6, and have been playing ever since. Played clarinet from middle school through college (extra scholarship $ in college!). I also enjoy singing, and I recently joined a handbell choir.

Recorder was my first instrument that I can remember.

Piano, 12 string guitar, 5 string banjo, clarinet, and drums.

Reactions: Fireband, perlFerret and PianoMusic1
Trombone, but it’s been so long since I’ve played that I doubt I could right now.

Drums and auxiliary percussion. I was never very good.

I was in different choirs for ages, only after I moved to Hannover at age 20 or so, I stopped doing that. I also learned the piano as a kid, but that was... unsuccessful. My parents ruined that for me.
I adore saxophone and would love to be able to play it. Sadly, I can not. I also really like the clarinet, chello and guitar.

Car exhaust pipes lol,.wasnt allowed to play instruments, mom said something about older sibling and crazy, so none for me lol

Anima said:
I was in different choirs for ages, only after I moved to Hannover at age 20 or so, I stopped doing that. I also learned the piano as a kid, but that was... unsuccessful. My parents ruined that for me.
I adore saxophone and would love to be able to play it. Sadly, I can not. I also really like the clarinet, chello and guitar.
I can play saxophone, it's quite easy to learn in comparison to brass instruments. I learned brass instruments before I learned saxophone.
Cello is one of my favorite instruments and I'll love to learn to play it. Cello, violin, and the oboe are all instruments id like to learn

I was forced to play the piano ... I never learned even though I was ... harshly punished ... to encourage better playing .

I was 'encouraged' to play better as well. Perhaps not quite harshly, oh well... But that really is objective, isn't it? What is harsh. Safe to say however, it did not encourage me what so ever.

Reactions: nezquic66
Back