Using as much absorbent capacity as possible

I tend to only wear at night and tend to wake up when I need to go. So I will roll over onto my front if I have been a couple times on my back already.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Now about your work, and being able to change at work with ease... Pullups are not any easier to change while in a public restroom.
The advantage of pullups is that I can easily pee normally when that is practical. Trying to do that with a brief means removing and repositioning/replacing the tapes (with accompanying noise). With an overactive bladder, I may go 2-3 hours without needing to pee. But other times, it might be once an hour, or even after only 20 minutes or less. In many cases, I can use the bathroom and even do that all day. But if I am in a two hour meeting, or stuck in traffic, wearing a diaper will give me peace of mind. But once I've used it, I'm kind of committed to using it for a while. Some pullups have tearaway sides. So I could switch to a brief if I needed to change, without removing clothing. My goal is not to wear a diaper all day. It is to have something in place if my bladder is uncomfortable and getting to a bathroom means walking out of a meeting, or finding a place to relieve myself while on the road.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Do me a favor, go to Northshorecare. Purchase a bag of Northshore Megamax briefs.
I received some samples of underwear and pads from them yesterday. I just asked if they would send me a sample of these. How much do they expand when they are full? I am currently testing a pair of Seni Super Plus briefs under a pair of jeans. And even dry, they feel bulky.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I would also suggest getting snap crotch shirts.

How do these help? Is it to prevent sag? That may be impractical for me, as I am either dressed business casual or in a shirt and tie at work. I just ordered a pair of Garywear diaper covers. That would seem to help prevent leaks. Might they also prevent sagging.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your thoughtful comments and suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Biggles said:
Fluffing and folding should not be underestimated it makes a massive difference in aquasition time and wicking distance.
How do you fluff them? It seems like the diaper makers all say not to touch the inside of the diaper (though I have no idea why your fingers are likely to have some bad effect that your bottom side will not).

Bobsled said:
The advantage of pullups is that I can easily pee normally when that is practical. Trying to do that with a brief means removing and repositioning/replacing the tapes (with accompanying noise). With an overactive bladder, I may go 2-3 hours without needing to pee. But other times, it might be once an hour, or even after only 20 minutes or less. In many cases, I can use the bathroom and even do that all day. But if I am in a two hour meeting, or stuck in traffic, wearing a diaper will give me peace of mind. But once I've used it, I'm kind of committed to using it for a while. Some pullups have tearaway sides. So I could switch to a brief if I needed to change, without removing clothing. My goal is not to wear a diaper all day. It is to have something in place if my bladder is uncomfortable and getting to a bathroom means walking out of a meeting, or finding a place to relieve myself while on the road.

I received some samples of underwear and pads from them yesterday. I just asked if they would send me a sample of these. How much do they expand when they are full? I am currently testing a pair of Seni Super Plus briefs under a pair of jeans. And even dry, they feel bulky.

How do these help? Is it to prevent sag? That may be impractical for me, as I am either dressed business casual or in a shirt and tie at work. I just ordered a pair of Garywear diaper covers. That would seem to help prevent leaks. Might they also prevent sagging.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you fluff them? It seems like the diaper makers all say not to touch the inside of the diaper (though I have no idea why your fingers are likely to have some bad effect that your bottom side will not).

You say that the pants are more convenient for you, but unfortunately for you the pants are made only to absorb very little, and have a tendency to leak easily.I admit I do not understand why you complicate so much life, the easiest thing is to take a very absorbent disposable diaper and change it every 4H, it's simple and effective no complications :)

trysexiea said:
You say that the pants are more convenient for you, but unfortunately for you the pants are made only to absorb very little, and have a tendency to leak easily.I admit I do not understand why you complicate so much life, the easiest thing is to take a very absorbent disposable diaper and change it every 4H, it's simple and effective no complications :)

Spot on point, underwear is fine if you can get by with minor peeing once in awhile, anymore and its going to complicate the process.

trysexiea said:
I do not understand why you complicate so much life, the easiest thing is to take a very absorbent disposable diaper and change it every 4H, it's simple and effective no complications :)

Changing diapers in the office is not uncomplicated. It appears from your profile that you are in France. I don't know what public restrooms are like there specifically. But I do know that in other parts of Europe, the toilet stall wall/partitions go all the way to the floor. In the U.S., they have about 12" of open space. At my office, there are four toilet stalls in addition to urinals. So while they offer some measure of privacy, another person in the bathroom could see my feet and lower legs. Changing a tabbed diaper would probably draw attention. On top of that, disposing of the used diaper is not be easy to handle discreetly. There are no trash receptacles next inside the toilet stall. I would have to walk about 10 feet to the trash containers next to the sink. That's OK if no one else is in the bathroom. But if someone were to enter, I would not be able to hide what I was doing.

I see being diapered as a means to avoid uncomfortable situations. But if I didn't have to pee in it at all, that would be just fine. I am trying to find the right balance, which may vary depending on the situation. So for example, I may have a day with no scheduled long meetings. In that case, I would wear a pullup and pee normally, and it will just be there in case something unexpected occurs (like getting stuck in traffic). But if I do have a long meeting scheduled, perhaps I will put on a brief that can last me well past that time - either until I get home, or can discreetly change.

Bobsled said:
Changing diapers in the office is not uncomplicated. It appears from your profile that you are in France. I don't know what public restrooms are like there specifically. But I do know that in other parts of Europe, the toilet stall wall/partitions go all the way to the floor. In the U.S., they have about 12" of open space. At my office, there are four toilet stalls in addition to urinals. So while they offer some measure of privacy, another person in the bathroom could see my feet and lower legs. Changing a tabbed diaper would probably draw attention. On top of that, disposing of the used diaper is not be easy to handle discreetly. There are no trash receptacles next inside the toilet stall. I would have to walk about 10 feet to the trash containers next to the sink. That's OK if no one else is in the bathroom. But if someone were to enter, I would not be able to hide what I was doing.

I see being diapered as a means to avoid uncomfortable situations. But if I didn't have to pee in it at all, that would be just fine. I am trying to find the right balance, which may vary depending on the situation. So for example, I may have a day with no scheduled long meetings. In that case, I would wear a pullup and pee normally, and it will just be there in case something unexpected occurs (like getting stuck in traffic). But if I do have a long meeting scheduled, perhaps I will put on a brief that can last me well past that time - either until I get home, or can discreetly change.

If you want something discreet the pad is totally the opposite, a disposable diaper that absorbs 5 liters will be more discreet.

You say that your toilet does not have a proper trash, but any trash can suffice, just use a black trash bag like that nobody knows what is in the trash.
generally the toilets are on this format also in France, but that should not prevent you from using conventional disposable diapers, there is little chance that someone is worried about a plastic noise in the toilet honestly. I seriously think that you worried for nothing, I think the best for you would be to forget about your environment, and to consider it as a normal thing, if it's normal then you do not need to worry. I would be you I will test with classic disposable diapers a change every 4 Hours, I will do this test for a month and depending on the results, I will continue or not.

Bobsled said:

- - - Updated - - -

We weren't told about your incontinence level. Only that you've experienced leaks quite often. We don't know if you're experiencing leaks at the office or not. We were given a pretty vague question. If you are, then you're definitely got the wrong degree of protection.

I know urge incontinence can vary as well. Very few underwear types can't deal with larger voids if you can't make it. They're usually better for stress related incontinence issues where it's much smaller episodes. Briefs can be pulled up and down as well.

As for those snap crotch shirts, they're worn as undershirts. The ones I've mentioned are thin, cool, and breathable. Comfortable to wear under your usual outfit. It's not just sagging, but they help keep briefs in place, they keep them from getting caught in a leg hole, or forced to one side by the crotch seam on your pants. They also prevent that seam from digging in to the incontinence produce that can create a sap blowout and leaks. They also help decrease the bulk and weird shapes.

Gary pants are just a very small extra waterproof layer. They won't increase capacity. They'll just buy you a small amount of time to catch leaks that do happen, and no, they don't really support the diaper like a snap crotch shirt can.

You'll know you're wearing incontinence products, some may be bulkier than others. It's knowing the type of protection you're needing, that prevent leaks, that get you through a certain amount of time that you need it to. If your current products get you through your day without that stress, or comfortable with what you're currently wearing, and the routine, then stick to it.

If you're having issues as you mentioned before, it's time to get over that stigma in your mind and adjust to what you may actually need. That extra bulk between your legs may feel more prominent to you, but the trade-off of preventing a wet seat can defeat that feeling in a heart beat, aside from the cleanup after it.

The hell with what other people think. Eventually, you'll get over that, and move on from that stigma, and accept and move on. It's not worth it. Do what makes you feel less stressed, comfortable, and so on. It's time to accept and adapt, because incontinence won't adapt to your preference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
We weren't told about your incontinence level. Only that you've experienced leaks quite often. We don't know if you're experiencing leaks at the office or not. We were given a pretty vague question. If you are, then you're definitely got the wrong degree of protection.
Just to close the loop - as I am sure is clear, I am very new to the use of diapers. So there are lots of unknowns to me. I mostly suffer from overactive bladder, with some (thankfully) rare urge incontinence. Most of the time, I can get to the bathroom before the urge is to great. But I want to have something in place when there is a chance the urge will come and I can't get to a bathroom one in time (such as on road trips).

Because of the overactivity, I have days when I may have to pee 15-20+ times. I dread the embarrassment of constantly leaving in the middle of two hour meetings because of the urge. I keep a bottle in my car, in case I can't find a bathroom in time. And, I also have peed into a cup in the middle of a one hour conference call (office door closed!), even though I went before the meeting. Much to my embarassment, while out to dinner with a group in which I (age 64) was the youngest man (the others were 68, 78, and 84), I was the only one who got up from the table to use the bathroom. And I did so three times. So I am looking for a way to call less attention to my bathroom habits, and to not have to worry about whether I will make it to a bathroom quickly enough. A

The main point of my question (as a newbie) had to do with why there seemed to be a lot of unused area in my diaper, and whether there was something I could do to make use of it. From the responses, I conclude that that there are some ways to do so (fold, fluff, boosters to help wick , position while peeing). But the main takeaway is that a diaper is simply not going to absorb its rated capacity in actual use.

I appreciate all the responses. Based on your recommendations, I've got some Northshore Megamax samples on order, and a couple of onesie's ordered as well.

Bobsled said:
Just to close the loop - as I am sure is clear, I am very new to the use of diapers. So there are lots of unknowns to me. I mostly suffer from overactive bladder, with some (thankfully) rare urge incontinence. Most of the time, I can get to the bathroom before the urge is to great. But I want to have something in place when there is a chance the urge will come and I can't get to a bathroom one in time (such as on road trips).

Because of the overactivity, I have days when I may have to pee 15-20+ times. I dread the embarrassment of constantly leaving in the middle of two hour meetings because of the urge. I keep a bottle in my car, in case I can't find a bathroom in time. And, I also have peed into a cup in the middle of a one hour conference call (office door closed!), even though I went before the meeting. Much to my embarassment, while out to dinner with a group in which I (age 64) was the youngest man (the others were 68, 78, and 84), I was the only one who got up from the table to use the bathroom. And I did so three times. So I am looking for a way to call less attention to my bathroom habits, and to not have to worry about whether I will make it to a bathroom quickly enough. A

The main point of my question (as a newbie) had to do with why there seemed to be a lot of unused area in my diaper, and whether there was something I could do to make use of it. From the responses, I conclude that that there are some ways to do so (fold, fluff, boosters to help wick , position while peeing). But the main takeaway is that a diaper is simply not going to absorb its rated capacity in actual use.

I appreciate all the responses. Based on your recommendations, I've got some Northshore Megamax samples on order, and a couple of onesie's ordered as well.

Recommendations are directed down, and use disposable diapers that absorb 3 or 5 liters.

Bobsled said:
Any idea where these could be purchased in the U.S.? I see them on Amazon, but they cost about 10x as much as in the U.K.

Or is there an equivalent from Northshore, Tranquility, or others?

Ah, I'm not sure, unfortunately. I haven't tried many other brands like Northshore or Tranquility... :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Bobsled said:
It seems like the diaper makers all say not to touch the inside of the diaper (though I have no idea why your fingers are likely to have some bad effect that your bottom side will not).

I *think* that's mostly about infection control in hospitals, where bacteria like MRSA are likely to be present, and patients may have weakened immune systems. It's the same reason that diapers have expiry dates.

If you wash your hands before/after changing, and are otherwise healthy and changing at home, then I don't think it will make the slightest difference if you touch the inside.

Bobsled said:

Yikes, that would be a horrible feeling too have to go that many times per day. It must be almost like you're always needing to go.

Most adult diapers and protective underwear are thin, cheap, and useless, and geared for insurance companies and hospitals not willing to pay a little more for something better. It's a horrible feeling to know that insurance companies don't really have anyone's back unless they're forced to.

I'm not sure exactly where you'll be going as far as your incontinence levels go, is it worsening over time? I know some people try the drugs to ease the overactive bladder issues, but it seems there's always some side effects. I can't imagine what it's like to try to get some decent sleep when walking up all the time to go.

I hope this can help you relieve some of the stress that you endure.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I'm not sure exactly where you'll be going as far as your incontinence levels go, is it worsening over time? I know some people try the drugs to ease the overactive bladder issues, but it seems there's always some side effects. I can't imagine what it's like to try to get some decent sleep when walking up all the time to go.

I hope this can help you relieve some of the stress that you endure.

I am seeing a urologist and tried the drug Myrbetriq. That may have yielded some improvement, but still unsatisfactory. It seemed to be worse when I went off the meds. I had a urodynamics study recently, and meet with my doctor soon to discuss the results. That I hope will tell him what is the best course of treatment. There's something called PTNS (percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation), where over the course of a few weeks, they do some electrical stimulation of a nerve in the foot that is also related to the bladder functioning. That may be the next option. There's also Botox. But for some people, the side effect is involuntary retention, and they have to self-catheterize.

I can control the frequency somewhat by limiting what I drink. But I think that probably works against me. I've had 2 UTI's, which probably are not helped by concentrated urine.

I just tried a sample of a Molicare brief at work this afternoon. It lasted twice as long as the Northshore GoSupreme pullon. The latter leaked on the fourth wetting. The Molicare was still OK after six (given my frequency, six urinations is only about 600-700 ml). I'm looking forward to receipt of my NS Megamax and my onesie. Do you think it is overkill to wear a brief, the onesie with Garywear covers too? I'd like to see how much I can push each diaper, so I know what there limits will be under less controlled circumstances. But I don't want a leak to soak my pants.

- - - Updated - - -

It does suck having to pee so often. But I am able to sleep OK. My urologist said that the body doesn't produce as much urine during sleep. Also, I suspect that while asleep, my bladder muscles are more relaxed.

Bobsled said:
I am seeing a urologist and tried the drug Myrbetriq. That may have yielded some improvement, but still unsatisfactory. It seemed to be worse when I went off the meds. I had a urodynamics study recently, and meet with my doctor soon to discuss the results. That I hope will tell him what is the best course of treatment. There's something called PTNS (percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation), where over the course of a few weeks, they do some electrical stimulation of a nerve in the foot that is also related to the bladder functioning. That may be the next option. There's also Botox. But for some people, the side effect is involuntary retention, and they have to self-catheterize.

I can control the frequency somewhat by limiting what I drink. But I think that probably works against me. I've had 2 UTI's, which probably are not helped by concentrated urine.

I just tried a sample of a Molicare brief at work this afternoon. It lasted twice as long as the Northshore GoSupreme pullon. The latter leaked on the fourth wetting. The Molicare was still OK after six (given my frequency, six urinations is only about 600-700 ml). I'm looking forward to receipt of my NS Megamax and my onesie. Do you think it is overkill to wear a brief, the onesie with Garywear covers too? I'd like to see how much I can push each diaper, so I know what there limits will be under less controlled circumstances. But I don't want a leak to soak my pants.

- - - Updated - - -

It does suck having to pee so often. But I am able to sleep OK. My urologist said that the body doesn't produce as much urine during sleep. Also, I suspect that while asleep, my bladder muscles are more relaxed.

Purposefully dehydrating yourself is not good. As you found out, I led to 2 uti's, but also comes with a slew of other complications. I encourage you to poke around the world health organization's website regarding this. Not to mention, concentrated urine just smells horrible.

You'll probably like the mega max diapers. They make great daytime diapers when you stay well hydrated. And no, it's not overkill. Diaper covers and onesies don't add bulk, but do help prevent leaks and accidental exposure. I wear crinklz and pul pants to my office every day, and use a onesie when I go to the gym.

Ps. Do some searcing on this site for interstim and botox. They have both been discussed thuroughly.

Back