Is there any PC gamers here, and if so what's your build?

prizedcoffeecup

Caffeine Aficionado
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm really curious to hear who else games on PC here. (Was posting this tired) Here's the setup I currently have:

Ryzen 7 1700x under a 212 EVO with AS MX-2
MSI B350M Mortar (unfortunate shenanigans with a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming Rev. 1.0)
2x8GB DDR4 ADATA XPG Z1s 2666mhz CL16
ASUS Turbo GTX 1070 (just bought on New Years Eve)
Antec 850w High Current Pro PSU
250GB 840 EVO with Windows 10 Pro x64 and a 4TB Seagate NAS HDD (Western Digital manufactured this model though for some reason)
Thermaltake Mozart TX with 5 x Arctic F12 PWM fans on an NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller hub, random DVD/CD burner drive from a dead PC and iMon Ultrabay for decoration

Laptop is a Dell Latitude S500GT for retro games (500mhz Celeron, 128MB RAM and ATI Rage Mobility M1 8MB running Windows 98 SE on a 10GB WD Caviar)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QNDOlOecQySEJXgte01ZFxjxdUDQ4gOU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Wow, I really like your steering wheel controller! I'd really love one but the good ones cost in excess of $100 usually so I'm just going to stick with my Xbox One controller for now. Looks like you are quite the collector of old computer hardware, I like :p. you even have an IBM monitor which I haven't seen in a long time! Good choice for a secondary. It almost looks like you are set up to stream some games lol!

Anyways, I recently gave away my old gaming rig with an i5-4460, 16gb DDR3, and GTX 770 to my little brother so he could have his first gaming pc. Now, all I have is my MSI gaming notebook. I recently replaced MSI's shitty OEM thermal paste with IC Diamond and it lowered my average temps by about 6 degrees Celsius.. so I recommend IC Diamond to everyone. It's a MSI GT73EVR 7RF Titan pro with an Intel Core i7-7820hk, 16gb DDR4, and GTX 1080. Would love to build a Ryzen desktop PC in the near future though!

Well, I used to be a frequent pc gamer before I became too busy with family, work and school. I started pc gaming about 33 years ago and have built about 10 gaming rigs over the years. I also game on the XBOX when I have time. My current build (such as it is) is about 4 years old and is a mid-level rig with an intel i7 chip and Nvidia GPU. Sorry I don't have all the specs for it. I am curious about the AMD Ryzen chips as I switched to intel chips about 10 years ago, but have built AMD systems. I have used many of the following brands in my past rigs: ASUS, Gigabyte, Crucial, Western Digital, Antec, Thermaltake, etc. I got my nephew into pc gaming and now he's building his own water cooled systems, which is pretty cool.

I went all out on mine, saved for over a year.
ryzen 7 2700x
asus rog strix x470-I motherboard with a Samsung 970 500 gb m.2
2x Samsung 950 1tb ssd
corsair vengeance rgb ram 32gb 3000mhz
GeForce gtx 1080 ftw gaming 3.0
all in an evga dg77 with ekwb custom hardline kit and an alphacool helix reservoir
corsair keyboard, mouse and headset with rgb+uv lighting.
display is an Alienware AW3418DW ultrawide. I also have a digital storm bolt x with similar specs, just a gtx1070ti instead of a 1080 but I had serious issues with the digital storm. I had to send it back to them twice in a year because the power supply blew up and fried everything; and they put the water loop fittings together wrong so I had countless leaks. had it for 9 months, it was only working for 3 weeks out of that time. and I had to fight with them over countless emails to get the work done under warranty. unacceptable for a pc that cost that much. never buy a pre built pc.

Also a pc gamer. I'll just leave it at I'm running the oculs rift at max resolution and no lag.

Reactions: PapaBear001
Chimera said:
It's a MSI GT73EVR 7RF Titan pro with an Intel Core i7-7820hk, 16gb DDR4, and GTX 1080. Would love to build a Ryzen desktop PC in the near future though!

I'm glad to hear your MSI laptop isn't giving me the same troubles as mine did, though I had problems because I cheaped out on a model that had some quality control problems from the start.

As for building with Ryzen, personally my recommendation is DO NOT skimp on the motherboard! I could go on for hours, but in short the motherboard manufacturers really didn't take Ryzen seriously at first, so the 300 series boards only have a few good examples across B350 and X370 alone. If you go for a Ryzen machine, EVEN IF you go for a 1st gen chip like a 1600, 1600x, 1700, 1700x, etc. I would go for either a B450 Mortar or nearly any of the X470 motherboards (The Mortar being cheapest but with the same power distribution as the X470s). Also make sure you have a good power supply, at least a reliable 80+ Bronze for this as Ryzen is electrically very sensitive.

T00LIX said:
I also have a digital storm bolt x with similar specs, just a gtx1070ti instead of a 1080 but I had serious issues with the digital storm. I had to send it back to them twice in a year because the power supply blew up and fried everything; and they put the water loop fittings together wrong so I had countless leaks. had it for 9 months, it was only working for 3 weeks out of that time. and I had to fight with them over countless emails to get the work done under warranty. unacceptable for a pc that cost that much. never buy a pre built pc

That's rough as ever...shipping can sometimes mess up things too, but I doubt anything except MAYBE the watercooling fittings could have come loose like that and even so, how does that explain all the other issues? I wish you well with getting that resolved...I used to have a 2600K rig and whenever it went down I was too broke for ANY parts for as much as 3 months which sucked. Also where I hated the MSI laptop I mentioned in the other quote more.

Last edited:
PC Master Race!

Yeah I PC game (make and play games), currently rocking a rig with a GTX1080, 32GB Ram, I7 5930k, 3 screens.

prizedcoffeecup said:
I'm glad to hear your MSI laptop isn't giving me the same troubles as mine did, though I had problems because I cheaped out on a model that had some quality control problems from the start.

As for building with Ryzen, personally my recommendation is DO NOT skimp on the motherboard! I could go on for hours, but in short the motherboard manufacturers really didn't take Ryzen seriously at first, so the 300 series boards only have a few good examples across B350 and X370 alone. If you go for a Ryzen machine, EVEN IF you go for a 1st gen chip like a 1600, 1600x, 1700, 1700x, etc. I would go for either a B450 Mortar or nearly any of the X470 motherboards (The Mortar being cheapest but with the same power distribution as the X470s). Also make sure you have a good power supply, at least a reliable 80+ Bronze for this as Ryzen is electrically very sensitive.

That's rough as ever...shipping can sometimes mess up things too, but I doubt anything except MAYBE the watercooling fittings could have come loose like that and even so, how does that explain all the other issues? I wish you well with getting that resolved...I used to have a 2600K rig and whenever it went down I was too broke for ANY parts for as much as 3 months which sucked. Also where I hated the MSI laptop I mentioned in the other quote more.
Sorry to hear about your MSI laptop, what exactly happened to it if you don't mind me asking? I'm not too big of a fan of MSI myself, I only chose the laptop because it was on sale and it came with a bag, mouse, headset, stickers, and other odds and ends. Another big factor was the 120hz high refresh rate screen. I've heard MSI's customer service is terrible, but here's to hoping any problem that crops up I can fix myself. If all else fails, I have a 2 year accidental damage warranty through squaretrade.

Honestly, the biggest problem I have is with the Killer Wifi 1435 adapter that the laptop ships with, often times when I put the laptop to sleep and wake it back up, the wifi adapter will spontaneously disappear, Windows can't find it, device manager can't find it, it's just gone! The only solution I've found that works is to simply put it to sleep again, wait 15 seconds, then wake it back up and the wifi adapter usually kicks back on afterward. Same thing with the bluetooth adapter, that likes to disappear also except with the bluetooth adapter, the only way to get that to show up again is to completely restart my computer.

Other than that, the computer has been treating me well so far. I imagine if I wasn't as savvy as I am with technology, I would have sent it into MSI at least a couple times by now due to the wifi adapter problem (which quite frankly, is a very weird issue to even occur)

Chimera said:
Sorry to hear about your MSI laptop, what exactly happened to it if you don't mind me asking

Sorry for late reply, I use Discord quite a bit more.

The MSI laptop I got has some flaws with it...the fans would sometimes randomly die if run under load for too long, other times it would just corrupt files for no reason until I added the Intel 600p and set that up as a boot drive instead of the 1TB HGST it comes with, it ran unbearably hot and throttled severely when I got it too so I redid paste, plastic and aluminum are very easy to damage, the screen no longer correctly works in 48hz mode on battery power so I disabled refresh rate switching, if you charge the battery too much the laptop starts having weird artifacting issues and the charger sometimes won't work so well when it heats up under gaming load so I keep a fan from an old netbook cooler around to keep it cold on the occasion I bring it back out to play on for some reason. Also the disc drive failed a week in and started causing the laptop to not even accept power.

The only remaining issues are lack of disc drive (not gonna replace), screen flickers when you connect and remove USB devices during operation and the battery-charging issues and refresh rate artifacting are still present. Specifically the MSI GE62-6QD Apache Pro is a bad egg in MSI's budget laptop lineup except for the i5 960m models, mine is an i7 960m model.

I'm more of a casual gamer at the moment. I currently have a modified HP prebuild since my friend gave it to me since it was his spare PC. I modified it.
My current specs are:
Processor: Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
Ram: 32GB
GPU: Nvidia 770GTX 4GB
Main SSD: 120GB I think liteon?
Secondary: 2TB Micron SSD
Third: 1TB WD Black HDD
Fourth: 2TB WD Black HDD

That's a lot of RAM kayden...holy crap

also I could see that system having no problem performance-wise being matched up with a GTX 1060 or better. The 2600K rig I retired and gave to my little brother played really, REALLY well with my 1060 when I was letting him borrow it and that's a much older i7 than yours.

prizedcoffeecup said:
That's a lot of RAM kayden...holy crap

also I could see that system having no problem performance-wise being matched up with a GTX 1060 or better. The 2600K rig I retired and gave to my little brother played really, REALLY well with my 1060 when I was letting him borrow it and that's a much older i7 than yours.

Ya I love this GPU. It was almost love at first sight. I actually picked it out for one of my friends back in the day and he gave it to me since he upgraded it to a 1080ti. It's the MSI Gaming N770 TF 4GD5/OC model.

Also ya I had 32GB ddr3 in my other esxi machine that I took it out and put it in my current machine.

Reactions: ScriptedGamer
I’m new to the club. I went back to school, and I knew I needed a computer. I knew I wanted it to be strong enough to play games, so I bought a Razer.

Just played Fallout 76 for 3 hours on it, Max Settings, no drag. Feels absolutely amazing. Now I know what the hype is about. Xbox is nice, but oh my god...

Reactions: prizedcoffeecup
Bass said:
I’m new to the club. I went back to school, and I knew I needed a computer. I knew I wanted it to be strong enough to play games, so I bought a Razer.

Oh yeah. Do take extremely good care of the Razer though, they are fragile, but there's actually good models of the Blade and their other gaming laptops surprisingly! Just wish they weren't up there pricewise with Apple, but otherwise I'm honestly a fanboy of "oooh green piece of paper can play games." (referring to the Blade again)

Yes but ive built mine a few years ago so the hardware is pretty old, Specs:
CPU : AMD FX 8350
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
RAM: 16 GB DDR 3
Storage: 120GB SSD + 2x 6TB drives in Raid 1

and my other Monster machine is used for my company and just a testmachine for Virtual machines

HP Z820 Workstation
CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2660 V2 10 cores and 20 Threads (so a total of 20 cores and 40 threads)
RAM: 64GB DDR3 (can be increased to 256GB per CPU so a total 512GB of RAM)
Storage: 1 TB HP/Intel PCIe SSD forgot the actual name but its pretty fast

i7-8700K 6-core, 12 thread Processor with 3.7 GHz (overclocked to 4.7)
nVidia Titan Xp Galactic Empire edition
32GB of RAM, DDR4 (2 sticks)
2TB FireCuda SSHD
280GB Intel 900P SSD

Intel i7-4790K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB RAM
128GB SSD, 2TB HDD

Proccessor: Ryzen 5 2600x 6cores
Ram: 16GB
GPU: GTX 970
primary Storage: 220GB SSD
secondary Storage: 2TB hybrid

I've been looking about for an emulator for NAMCO games. The one on which I shone nearly 40 years ago... Tempest. Also Gyrus. There's a ROM that runs on Windows. Which I consider to be a thousand mile step backward. Not the NAMCO ROM... the MS anything except for Flight Simulator. Which they don't support. Missile Command was copied as Tux Math. And Asteroids is ported as Maelstrom. And both play well on Linux, especially knoppix. Of course the graphix were upgraded. I got burned out on F.P.S. games with Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Shooting rogue machines = my preferences. But what bugs me mucho is ROM on one side, linux on the other Windows in the middle. It's just one of the projects I use to stay sane... relatively... and keep my hand/eye coordination from decaying..

I recommend MAME. If there’s a rom for it, MAME will play it.

My current gaming rig is a Ryzen 5 2600X with a Nvidia GTX 1070. It’s hooked up to a hybrid projection/workstation setup in my bedroom. I also have an arcade machine with a PC inside, which I use to play certain legacy games.

Back