Bowel incontinence and cheap hospital diapers

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been hospitalized for several days. It's the fifth time this year due to significant health problems with my GI system. Not how I wanted to spend Christmas, but as I'm off work all week anyway it could be worse.

I came in wearing a Northshore Supreme, but I didn't bring any extras to wear (oops), so I've been in cheap hospital pullups for several days. Some of my GI problems cause watery diarrhea, and I've had several bowel accidents. Fortunately the pullups haven't leaked yet, but it's frustrating to have to worry about that when there are so many good options for diapers.

Hopefully I can get out of here today or tomorrow, and get back to decent diapers along with the rest of my life.

I spent three days in hospital and VA hospital wouldn’t let me wear my own so I got stuck with hospital diapers. I leaked right through them every night. Was there for my back had scar tissue removed kept me due to complications from the procedure the nurse or I was not happy

It's a pity you have to spend your holidays like this. Hope you get better soon!

My experience with hospital diapers was mainly a positive one. They were quite thin, but plastic-backed (which I didn't like) and they would not leak no matter what. Yes, during the day they changed me every two hours, but at night there was only one change and I think they did it only because I had diagnosed incontinence. Sure, by the time this change came and in the morning the diaper would be really wet. I mean, I actually felt wetness. But no leaks. Not even one. Maybe it had something to do with the nurse's skill, because even after all these years I still can't make my diapers look as smooth and "solid", however strange this word may seem here, as they did it at the hospital.

Iteluv, I’m very sorry that you had to spend Christmas in hospital. What a bummer! I’ve had three hospitalisations over the past few years. When I had my first knee replacement 5 years ago, they kept me catheterised the whole 5 days that I was there, which worked out fine. No worries about leaks, and luckily no infection. The other two time, I brought and used my own diapers. I found that the nurses were for the most part not very good about getting a diaper on properly so that it didn’t leak, but I was able to change myself after the first couple of days. JasonM03, I’m astonished that the VA wouldn’t let you use your own diapers.

Yeah that is a bummer. I too have been hospitalized for extended times. And those hospital diapers are the worst. It really surprises me when anyone can think they work ok. Especially how they can't hold an hours worth of pee (with staying well hydrated), and leak like a shiv.

They told me this afternoon that I'll be here at least two more days. Sigh.

As soon as I said that the pullups they're giving me haven't leaked yet, I had another bowel accident and leaked all over the sheets. They changed them like it was no big deal - I bet that happens a lot with these things pullups. I've thought about asking my wife to bring me some of my Northshores, but as long as I'm not leaking consistently I think I'll keep using their crappy diapers (pun intended) and let them change sheets as required.

I have never been in a hospital but I do need to get an MRI on my lower back to confirm it is my ruptured disc pressing on my nerves that control my bladder and bowel that is causing my incontinence. I need to wear a diaper anytime I leave home as a result. I do plan to be diapered for my MRI just in case I have an accident but it will be my premium diaper and not a cheap hospital diaper.

You are wise, my friend.

I get at least one MRI a year because of my high cancer risk, and this is the first time in years that I haven't had a good diaper on for it. Being confined inside that tiny tube raises my anxiety level, which I think is what causes my bladder to spasm.

I finally got out of the hospital on New Year's Eve. They wanted to keep me for another day for pain management, but I was so ready to be done with the hospital. Home is where the heart is, but it's also where the good diapers are.

I spent the entire week in their horrible pullups. B they were to thin, the pad didn't have enough coverage, and they just weren't very comfortable. I hate to think what I was paying for them, but it's all covered by insurance.

I did at least come home with some decent pain control, but they didn't do the procedure that would have resolved my major issue for a few months. It's likely that I'll be back in the hospital within the next few weeks. Maybe I'll take some good diapers this time!

Welcome home and hugs. Glad that you are home and back to your own brand. I myself have a dislike of hospitals and don't blame you. I am glad you are feeling better, but sad you have to take medication for pain. Please keep us informed of your health, and please stay healthy for the New Year. Sorry to hear that you didn't resolve the total issue, and hope you get it resolved soon. Lots of luck and glad you are home safe and back in your good diapers.

Hey i am in that same boat as you were for being in hospital as my username speaks for itself .I am a prostatic cancer surivor chemo x8 treatments and surgery i am complete dual incontinent bowel and urine .I have to wear 24/7 for bowel and use on and off again 18 fr 30 cc foley catheter connected to leg bag while having thick diaper on for bowels .Life goes on but its been one hell of 2018 for me so 2019 will be much better .Now hopefully i can get back into my real estate business as an investor.

Back