Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me, myself and I

Default Me, myself and I

Apparently people want a meet the staff type of thread. While I canít do this for others I looked at my own introduction and realized how horrible it was. So here you have a new one. Me making this does not mean other staff have to do it too, itís just what made me thinking about it.

So? Who am I?
    Iím MartinÖ thatís not my real name but itíll do. Iím 17 years old and around 70kg (160lsb)
    • Iím a high school student. Junior Year (few weeks until Senior ).
    • Iím a lifeguard.
    • I like almost everything that has to do with computers.
    • Sciences also interest me.
    • I create and maintain websites.
    • Soon (in about a year) Iíll be going to University to study Aerospace Engineering.
    • Iím an atheist.
    • I work my magic behind the sound system at church. (Parents drag me to church)
    • Iím totally nuts (in a good way)
    • I have ADHD, AS and Dyslexia. I only tell you guys this here as at times it can be noticeable. For instance in chat . And it isn't something I hide as most people know by now.

What do I do for the forum?
    I have several tasks. Iíll grab it from the official list and explain each.
    • Background checks on new users
      This means that I check all users to see if their lying about their age or otherwise a threat to the forum. For instance: pedophiles. To be able to do this properly I have access to the full profiles and can ban.
    • Banning users deemed unwelcome due to background checks (those that lie about their age, are members of pedo sites, etc)
      More of what I mentioned above only highlighting the banning part.
    • Moderating the forums
      I go over posts to see if they are according to the rules and edit them if necessary. I also deal with reported posts look over them and take action if necessary. I also check moderated posts (posts from people who are moderated and havenít been approved yet or posts that have been put in moderation by other staff members pending review) and accept or delete them. To be able to do this properly I have access to quite a few tools. I can edit, move, delete, moderate and accept all posts and threads. I can also put people into moderation
    • Moderating the IRC channel
      I keep an eye on the chat to make sure it all goes according to the rules set up for it and ban people that break the rules or are a threat for others or are trolling. To be able to do this I have ChatOP access. That means I can ban, unban and set channel modes.

Apart from that Iím a support to the admin team and do anything I can to help them. I also discuss stuff in the staff forum about new things we might want to implement to make it safer or more pleasurable.

Aha, another excellent staff intro; I am enjoying feeling I know you a bit better; I have more of an image of a person in my head, than an invisible but powerful entity.

What I said to Charlie applies here:

Me to. I now realize how important you are. Thanks for running this site!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

• Iím a lifeguard.
    • I create and maintain websites.
    • Iím an atheist.
    • I work my magic behind the sound system at church.
    Uh... it's actually scary how much we have in common. Great intro mate

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    [*]Background checks on new users
    This means that I check all users to see if their lying about their age or otherwise a threat to the forum. For instance: pedophiles. To be able to do this properly I have access to the full profiles and can ban.[*]Banning users deemed unwelcome due to background checks (those that lie about their age, are members of pedo sites, etc)
    Um wow, you do a lot and thanks for all that you do, but how exactly can you tell whether someone's lying about their age or if they're pedophiles?

Good post; Weird all this time I though you were ahead of me in school.

Quote Originally Posted by NoahKokoro View Post
    Um wow, you do a lot and thanks for all that you do, but how exactly can you tell whether someone's lying about their age or if they're pedophiles?
    Um, I have a teensy smidgen of an idea of some of the checking techniques. But even discussing the obvious simple ones is not allowed for fear that the liars and pedos will up their game; many of them are not very bright and don't hide their tracks very well. So it is my understanding that it is impolite to ask about such techniques or discuss them among ourselves.

This should be mentioned in "The Rules."

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Um, I have a teensy smidgen of an idea of some of the checking techniques. But even discussing the obvious simple ones is not allowed for fear that the liars and pedos will up their game; many of them are not very bright and don't hide their tracks very well. So it is my understanding that it is impolite to ask about such techniques or discuss them among ourselves.

This should be mentioned in "The Rules."
    Oh sorry! I was just curious, sorry if I asked something I shouldn't have!

Martin, thx for putting in all of your time and skills to make ADISC a even better, safer website!
    ~ Will

Do I know you?

Usually I would say it was good to get to know more about you, but I already knew everything there, except what exactly you could and do do as a staff member. Really nice to see this though. Often we don't notice what the staff do behind the scenes and it is nice to see it clearly.

Good job! Carry on making the forum a safe and nice place to be.

Oh, and you are a great friend.