Pacifier Sterilization

Seasonedcitizen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
How often does everyone boil their pacifiers to sterilize them?

Never. That's a maneuver for babies and their underdeveloped immune systems. Cleaning with dish soap is good enough unless your paci happens to fall in a vat of bubonic plague bacillus. Aside from pacifiers intended for actual babies, I wouldn't trust that they're suitable for boiling unless indicated by the manufacturer/seller.

Seasonedcitizen said:
How often does everyone boil their pacifiers to sterilize them?
Unless stated by your specific brands manufacturer, boiling is not necessary.

I clean mine after each night of use when I get to use it, otherwise I worry it may cause bacteria to possibly grow.
Plus it gets a little off feeling in the mouth when it's not clean .

Just use warm water and dish soap, use your hands, no sponge or rag needed. Focus on the teat and around where your lips contact the guard, rinse well and dry with a clean towel and store in an airtight container if it's a latex teat.

Actually, they've determined that the parents just licking the dirty pacifier clean is superior to just about any attempts to clean them.

Sterilize? Never. Clean? Every month or so, just run them under warm water and give the area around the teat and shield a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush.

Unless you have an immunity issue, well water, or there's something wrong with the water you do have, for example, you're under a boil water advisory, there's no need. Lots if parents have stopped, with bottle nipples and paci teets, unless the biobaby in question meets any of those criteria.

Once a month I pour boiling water down my kitchen sink drain to help clear out any grease build-up in the drain. Since I am boiling water, I sterilize my pacifier at the same time. It's easier than doing anything else.

If my pacifier needs cleaning at other times, I will: brush it off or rinse it off or wash (with dish soap) it off depending on how dirty my pacifier is.

In general I agree with the above - you only need to rinse or wash your pacifier in the sink unless there is a medical problem.

I have a dummy, but it turned out that it's not really for me. When I was trying it out, I cleaned it thoroughly with soap/water before and after each use. I also sterilised it occasionally with baby bottle sterilisation fluid (which I use to sterilise the water bottles for my bike).

I'd be too afraid to ruin my adult pacis this way. Soap and water works just fine for my purposes

I have a Little for Big Gen 2 Big Shield and I boiled it before the first use as recommended by the instructions. You can easily disassemble those and give it a good cleaning.

But for an adult with a good immune system, this realy is overkill so usually I give it a good washing with hot water and Dawn as needed. Minor cleaning is a simple rince with hot water.

For me the initial boil was for more psyological reasons than anything else. Later boils would be more symbolic as well.

Run it through a Listerine (mouth) wash and you will never use bad words again !

Back