Thread: Joseph Conrad

Default Joseph Conrad

Are there any fans of his writings here? I personally love his style of writing, especially in the book "Nostromo"

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Are there any fans of his writings here? I personally love his style of writing, especially in the book "Nostromo"
    Conrad. Conrad. Is this Heart of Darkness Conrad? I've not read Nostromo; what's the gist?

Heart of Darkness is Conrad! Nostromo is a story of a banana republic that is frought with corruption. 2 waring factions want to seize power and take the silver of the island. While getting influence by american corporations(this book is set in the late 19th century early 20th century). Overall a true Russian novel. It shows people that no onee is truely uncorruptible.

soren456

I've read The Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent as assignments. I came away without much of an opinion about him, although I understand that he was a precursor to a lot of themes and style.

I was impressed, personally, that English was not his native language, but he wrote beautifully in it. Like Nabokov.

Quote Originally Posted by soren456 View Post
    I was impressed, personally, that English was not his native language, but he wrote beautifully in it.
    I am either learning or remembering this just now.

I concur; I recall the imagery and structured syntax in The Heart of Darkness (the only example I have of his writing) evoking very strong impressions and painting a very good picture of his message.

Quote Originally Posted by soren456 View Post
    I was impressed, personally, that English was not his native language, but he wrote beautifully in it. Like Nabokov.
    Not to take anything away from Nabokov, who was just amazing, but he was taught English from a very early age, along with other languages, and so had a lot of time to be comfortable with them. As noted in his autobiography, his father was dismayed that he could read and write English but not Russian at age 6.

soren456

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Not to take anything away from Nabokov, who was just amazing, but he was taught English from a very early age, along with other languages, and so had a lot of time to be comfortable with them. As noted in his autobiography, his father was dismayed that he could read and write English but not Russian at age 6.
    Speak, Memory. I had forgotten that.

When did Conrad learn English?

(Not that I couldn't look it up on my own . . . . )

I can't say I'm a fan, but I haven't read any of his work since high school. I might have a different view if I re-read Heart of Darkness now.