Invented DIY diaper donner for those who can't change their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InventorGrissom

Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
My invalid 300 pound incontinent (urinal & fecal) roommate with 10 inch diameter leg calves (Lymphedema) became unable to change her own pull-up diapers 9 to 15 times per 24 hour day because she couldn't reach past her knees. That task fell to me and I was literally dying from lack of RIM sleep.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. Fortunately, I've been a prolific inventor for over 55 years. I invented a $2 solution and made 15 of them for her. She's been using them unassisted for 9 months now.

Her nurses suggested I research how many others in the world might need these devices as it might be worth mass producing. That's why I'm here and out doing demos at assisted care facilities next week. If I find there's enough demand for it, I'll mass produce it.

Currently, I have no idea about how many incontinence patients have this problem as I described above.

All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Cheers!

What kind of a device are you talking about?

yeah, you aren't exactly giving a lot to go on what type of device this is, especially for 2 dollars and helps someone who can't bend down. Also if you are trying to hawk this product for sale here you probably want to consult Moo.

Also forgive me if this is rude, but what is your connection to your roommate? are they someone close or a loved one?... seems strange that a room mate would be putting this on you to deal with, most people would be mortified to have to ask for help from an acquaintance concerning this unless you are a caregiver by profession,

You're absolutely right and not being rude rennecfox. My fault, my TITLE should have ended with PROTOTYPE as it did on all other post titles to incontinent forum websites after this first one. Because it is a prototype, I am not allowed to give much of a description publicly online without giving up, by patent law, my right to patent this new invention. I can however show the invention online as long as it does not show any patent specific information (show nothing that is part of the patent application).

I will take a photo of the device with the diaper on it and me putting my foot through it and try to attach it to this reply. I'll call it a FRAME. Grasp bottom right of frame with diaper loaded and lower left side to floor in front of left foot. Put left foot through the left leg hole. Using right wrist, rotate frame clockwise up left leg to the knee. Grasp lower left frame with diaper and release right hand from frame. Using left wrist, lower right side of frame to floor in front of right foot - insert right foot and using left wrist raise right side of frame to knee. Now both sides of frame are at knee level. Grasp top of frame and pull over to top of knees. To remove frame instantly, put either hand at top center of frame and run fingers between diaper and frame to grasp frame and pull straight up and away - diaper is released and frame can be set aside to load with a new diaper. Stand upright and pull diaper waist band up until comfortably positioned.

To answer your other question - connection to roommate... not relevant but, she's a great friend, retired postal carrier, we're both career military brats (compatible), and not a relative or loved one. She's been my roommate for over 10 years and her closest relatives are over 100 miles away. Most importantly, she's one of the very few I've ever met (other than my 3 brothers and a sister) as honest as I am. Before she was disabled, I left 8 signed blank checks with her to cover my half rent/utility for 8 months that I would be on the other side of the US (Oregon) prototyping another invention. There was no way I was going to allow this great friend to be forced into a state assisted care facility (death camp) simply because she couldn't change her own diapers so, I invented this FRAME to eliminate that problem, it did, and the state assisted care order was cancelled. I am a professional electro-mechanical inventor and know nothing about caregiving or anything medical.

I hope this answers all the questions.

If this attached PhotoBucket URL image doesn't work or is too small or low resolution or... I'll post the image later after resolving any issues.

URL]

Oops.. forgot to answer your "...especially for 2 dollars..." comment rennecfox. I have a CNC router table that can cut 88 intermingled XL, L, M, S sizes of this device from a single 5'x9'x1/4" sheet of Starboard plastic that cost $65 a sheet. That's about 75 cents per frame device - non profit. I'm not in this to make money, I'm in to make a difference so, I guessed roughly $2 would cover cost plus shipping/handling. If demand is greater than I anticipate then I'll have someone else mass produce/sell/drop ship this which will drive total cost up to $3 to $6 per device. In reality, I'll probably have someone else do this regardless of demand because I would much rather get back to working on my near silent leaf blower prototype. This FRAME was merely a sudden necessity to free my time back to working on the blower. I've even thought about giving this to an existing company of blind, deaf, and or homeless to manufacture/sell. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back