OAB with urge incontinence

I've had OAB my entire life. There are many ways to cope with it depending on the severity and one's personal preference, which should be discussed with a urologist. The effectiveness of the various drug treatments have been statistically significant when compared to a placebo group. That's why they are on the market. They can reduce the symptoms (urgency, frequency, number of accidents, etc.), but not necessarily eliminate the problem entirely. Botox and Interstim have also shown to be effective at reducing symptoms. However, none of these treatments are without potential negative side effects. If you have been diagnosed with idiopathic OAB, which essentially means your physician or physicians don't know the root cause, the treatments are for symptom relief and you should be weighing the benefits and risks of each separately.

I'm a scientist and have read much of the scientific literature regarding OAB treatments. Because I am active, very busy, don't mind diapers and, other than my OAB and IBS-D, don't have any other significant health problems, I have decided to manage my incontinence with diapers, diet and quick bathroom breaks. While I have seriously considered Botox and Interstim, the risks for me are too high and I have discussed this with my doctor. Other people may decide differently, especially the majority of the population that probably views wearing diapers as having "one foot in the grave" or too detrimental to their self-esteem. Not surprisingly people on this forum generally have a positive view of using diapers for managing incontinence. There's nothing wrong with that, but by all means read the literature, discuss your options with your doctor and weigh the pros and cons yourself. No one should make that decision for you.

Back