What is the definition of AB and little?

SleepyBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
Is their a difference between them or not? If so what is it?

Thanks -Ben

SleepyBunny said:
Is their a difference between them or not? If so what is it?

Thanks -Ben

It's open to interpretation but I think it's an age difference. AB implies baby or toddler who's still in diapers where a little could be 5 - 8 years old who would be potty trained or mostly potty trained.

I consider little as more general, generally feeling/acting younger. As dogboy noted AB implies the younger set. I'm an AB but also reference as little, usually when talking about feeling little or letting my little out.

Reactions: Littleliandabrat
As Dogboy said, it's about the age the individual regresses to and behaves as. Littles still engage in regression, but they regress to a slightly older age, that of a young child. Littles also engage in more childlike activities. AB's or Adult Babies are adults who regress to baby age. Adult Babies engage in more babylike activities.

That being said, there is much overlap between the two and it's not uncommon for an AB to have Little tendencies and a Little to have AB tendencies. For instance, while I identify more as an AB and engage in more babyish behaviours and activities when I regress, there are times when I regress to a toddler age or slightly older. So, I have an AB side that is predominant and a bit of a Little side as well.

The only differences I find are slight differences when it comes to aesthetics. Littles prefer dungarees, PJs, more childlike outfits whereas ABs prefer onesies, rompers and all that jazz.

Both can enjoy diapers :)

I prefer an expansive definition of AB, so they're the same to me. I will call people what they wish to be called but AB is my first choice under the circumstances.

Poofybutt said:
As Dogboy said, it's about the age the individual regresses to and behaves as. Littles still engage in regression, but they regress to a slightly older age, that of a young child. Littles also engage in more childlike activities. AB's or Adult Babies are adults who regress to baby age. Adult Babies engage in more babylike activities.

That being said, there is much overlap between the two and it's not uncommon for an AB to have Little tendencies and a Little to have AB tendencies. For instance, while I identify more as an AB and engage in more babyish behaviours and activities when I regress, there are times when I regress to a toddler age or slightly older. So, I have an AB side that is predominant and a bit of a Little side as well.

The only differences I find are slight differences when it comes to aesthetics. Littles prefer dungarees, PJs, more childlike outfits whereas ABs prefer onesies, rompers and all that jazz.

Both can enjoy diapers :)

Thanks for the incite!
I don't know what I am. I am leaning to little tho because I don't care for bottles, cribs or highchairs, but, I'm not sure because I do like pacifiers, onesies, and stuffed animals. :dunno:

Last edited:
SleepyBunny said:
I am leaning to little tho because I don't care for bottles, cribs or highchairs, but, I'm not sure because I do like pacifiers, onesies, and stuffed animals.

In this context, being little does not mean you can't have a pacifier, etc. And being an AB does not mean you have to like bottles, etc.

Very few people are 100% AB or 100% Little. Most of us are a little bit of both AB/Little.

In your case, you are probably a Little with a bit of AB thrown in the mix.

I think it's more preference then actual difference. But I can say that I agree that those including myself that identify as little are slightly older when regressed. I have always seen myself as 3 to 4 years old. I am fully potty trained but I love my sippy cups with the silicone spouts. My food has to be cut up but not pureed (unless I'm really feeling like having it that way). I have tons of toys but a lot of them a child any younger wouldn't understand like my litebrite or my strawberry shortcake atari game.

It's an interesting question, but to me, the two terms still look rather interchangeable. ABs are obviously infant/toddlers, but since 'Littles' wear diapers, use pacifiers and have bottles, is that not the same thing? From my own admittedly limited experience, it appears that ABs and Littles are the same thing and those that dress up as older children is more a role-play kinda thing. I cant see how you can wear and use diapers and think that somehow you are not at most - a toddler.

Could be wrong - and certainly have been before - but this is how I see it.

I just can't wrap my brain around peoples insatiable need to label and define everything. Has it always been like this? Am I just odd for not caring about what something is called? I suppose it is just my ignorance. As for my opinion on the subject, to me there is no difference between the two. I prefer the term "little" to denote personality traits and behaviors that would be not be congruent with the standard adult model of behavior and lean more towards the childlike. I don't find the term Adult Baby offensive or anything, I just think it is limiting as a label. However, it seems ingrained into our sub culture and I don't see it changing. I just don't like it, I think it has a not pretty sound. I think it is far more pleasant to say, "I have a little side/I am a little" than "I'm an Adult Baby". Really I guess it comes down to preference, but I vote we move away from the whole AB/DL thing and just call it littleness. Maybe I just don't like acronyms. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Reactions: BobaFettish
I definately feel 2-4 years old most of the time. Sometimes older, sometimes younger. I tend to stay around 3 though, 3 is my favourite age. Although I was potty trained before 2 as a biochild, my "little persona" is stubborn and waers diapers til about 4 years old, and even older at night. My little persona is different to how I was as a biochild, as I like to keep them separate. My biochildhood memories are precious and I want them to stay true to their original form and not be changed by confusion with little space. My "little self" is kind of like an alter ego, another person if you will.

I call myself more of a "little" but I use "AB" in my YouTube titles as well to appeal to a wider audiance. I consider myself a "little" as I very rarely regress to actaul baby age (under 12-18 months), usually 2 or older.

Andustar said:
I don't find the term Adult Baby offensive or anything, I just think it is limiting as a label. However, it seems ingrained into our sub culture and I don't see it changing. I just don't like it, I think it has a not pretty sound. I think it is far more pleasant to say, "I have a little side/I am a little" than "I'm an Adult Baby". Really I guess it comes down to preference, but I vote we move away from the whole AB/DL thing and just call it littleness. Maybe I just don't like acronyms. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Dude, exactly what I was thinking. I don't care for the term Adult Baby because when I here that it makes me think of the portrayal of pop culture which is usually bad. The term 'little' is, for me, a lot better and cuter I guess. Thanks for the response.

- - - Updated - - -

OfficialPastelPoppet said:
I definately feel 2-4 years old most of the time. Sometimes older, sometimes younger.

I call myself more of a "little" but I use "AB" in my YouTube titles as well to appeal to a wider audiance. I consider myself a "little" as I very rarely regress to actaul baby age (under 12-18 months), usually 2 or older.

Thanks for the response. I feel similar to that, as being under 12-18 months is too young for me as I don't remember anything from that young xD.

SleepyBunny

Thats exactly why I don't tend to regress under 2. I can't imagine what it would be like so I can't get into the headspace

There's something to be said for this, so, I shall say it.:) If you ask a Little how old he or she is, you're a bit more likely to hear, "I don't know," or, "It's hard to say," than a specific age.

The only reason I'm able to approximate my age, is because I know a bit about child development. I've described Littleness as, "age soup," before.

Does that make sense? My age tends to be socially and emotionally very young, cognitively very picky. When I color, I try as hard as possible to stay in the lines. I'm cerebrally palsied, and my hands dancing all over the page, and messing up my pretty art, makes me so mad!. Also, know, that because of my CP, my development obsesses me, and my loved ones. I developed asynchronously, anyway. Being able to give a ballpark of social, verbal, emotional, cognitive, and motor skills, doesn't mean I'm pretending. It means I'm used to having to all my life.

If you ask an AB, I feel like you might have a better shot at getting a solid number.

Biblically, a baby is a pre-weaned child, and children weren't weaned, sometimes, 'til 3. I think the oldest acceptable, back then, was 4.

By that logic, I'm an AB, and I'm just naturally childish, so, I'm a Little. I'm perfectly fine with both. I really like Little bABy Girl! My girliness is amplified when I'm in that special place. That's just me.
Speck said:
Great resource, and a lot feels right about her definition.

I like the, "floating anywhere along the age spectrum," description.

She gets so much about it.

I like more about it than I dislike, but, her willingness to say, "Ageplayer because diapers. That's fine. It meshes together well," in her FAQs section, erks me.

If she had diapers as a piece, I wonder if she'd say that. It's like how does she know all ABs are pretending, or shooting for a specific age, and thus, are playing? Why does she find certain triggers pretentious? Maybe people who need things she sees as ageplay objects, are just trying to touch bottom of their Little pool. I'd say, take any Little, but him or her in a diaper, or put him, or her, in any less than adult bed, or co-sleeping with his or her BIG, and said Little will be at their personal Littlest, even if not a bABy.

The thing is, not all Littles wear diapers, and most of the ones in the DDLG crew don't. For me, diapers aren't absolute necessities for getting in headspace. What diapers are, is a massive trigger, and a chance for me to stop worrying about my control, but remember, I'm IC, my control is very odd, and I'm trying not to lose any. It might be weird, but it's there. Let's keep it! That's why I don't wear except occasionally. BIG is watching. If my level of control slips, getting it back is important, but, it doesn't mean I have to worry over it. He's got me. Even if it's permanently less, I'm loved, so, why worry? That doesn't mean either of us wants me worse.

I don't feel like I'd fit in with DDLG, because diapers are a part of my experience at all, but I don't feel completely at home with ABs, because they're a bit of a smaller, less than absolutely necessary, part, not that my brain doesn't get itchy for them sometimes, but that's when I plan my cloth stash.

Ever look at ADISC, and wonder where the females are? We exist; I promise. We just predominantly hang out on DDLG forums, apparently. If not for that second, conspicuous D, maybe I would. There's growing understanding of Little, too, but, because of the conspicuous second D, and the G, it's just as. . . Off? . . . Dark? . . . As the media portrays ABs. That's not their fault, though. Sometimes, dominance is what outsiders think it is, like, "Daddy's Little really crude other s word," but, sometimes, it's just a look of displeasure on your BIG's face.

It's about trusting your BIG to do right by you. I don't care if you two boink, or not!

Something about Little Boy does not seem to compute with that crew, so, no wonder vanillas, and quite a few LGs, think it's only girls.

I've heard, if you're a Little Boy, they'll be kinda like, "What. . . Are you? Look, BIG! Unicorn!"

There's also a misconception among some DDLGers, that you can't be a Little, without a BIG.

Keep in mind, you don't have to remember what actual infancy was like, most of us can't. I can't. My mom remembers an asthma attack and not being able to breathe, but that's only because she was scared, very, very scared. She's not a Little.

I can put it this way, and see if it helps. I'll drink from whatever I feel touches that special place in my mind at the time. I have a special cup, that looks like a soda bottle. It's pink, sparkly, and so very girly. It has smilies, and hearts, and says, "Girls just wanna have sun," on it.

"Oooh, pink, and sparkly! Who needs a boring cup," is what I'm thinking when that works, which it almost always does.

If I had a bottle, (Please, God. Please?) it'd have to be big enough for my body, to be able to trigger anything. I'm drawn to a certain shape, and silicone. It's squeezy! Trust me; that sounded much cuter when my Little side kicked in. Anyone with a :paci: knows, it touches something, and for a lot of people, thinking becomes a whole lot less complicated. It just feels good to suckle.

I've been so deep, spelling was harder. When I'm down really far, it's all feelings! I've actually cried! I've been all giggles, or tears, or anger, or whatever I felt, with the occasional simple sentence, very simple sentence. Anyone you trust to see you Little, becomes really important! If it's a caretaker. . . Center of your universe! Little feels omnipresent, but, in situations where I must Adult, it's on a dial, not that it's always quick, or easy, to turn it to adult.

AB isn't offensive to me, because I'm pretty dang Little, when I touch bottom, but I understand why some Littles are like, "I'm not a bABy! Don't call me something I'm not!"

How many triggers are in the room? What are they? Am I wearing anything footed? Feet mean tiny to me. Is it okay to go really really deep? All that matters, but, drop me in the middle of a giant plushy, or Crayola factory, and I can't make any promises!:lol:

I sleep in a bed! No bars! No bars! Don't even. . . Nope! They scare me! I dream of a sleep sphere, instead of a crib, or toddler bed. I'd be completely closed in, except when the door was open, which I could control with a button, and there'd be room enough for my BIG. No bibs, because that would mean I've lost the skill, so, mess making shirt, big mess making shirt, instead.

Changing mat, not changing table, unless it was built not to look like, or be as high as, a typical bABy one, only because often, they look like giant baby ones, bad memory! Now, tabs vs. pull-ups, cloth vs. disposable. I actually go younger when it doesn't have to occur to me how my cerebrally palsied butt is gonna get in and out of my padding, and when it doesn't feel like something I was punished with as a kid, so I have some very specific cloth preferences. Hopefully, I'll meet someone who can sew, listen, and won't take credit for my intellectual property.

Unless it's TV, I don't like a lot of licensed characters. Let me feel how I feel, naturally. License characters are intended for certain ages. If I feel it, let me watch it. Don't decorate my room with it.

Do you get the impression this is my experience, not every Little bABy Girl's, because that's what I'm trying to say? I'm not what an AB or Little is supposed to be. I'm me. It's a floaty state of being, which sometimes feels like a slow walk backwards, and sometimes, I need a BIG's reassurance.

I'm not saying knowing how others define it can't help you, but, know this. This is yours. It doesn't have to belong to anyone else. Call yourself what feels right.

Last edited:
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
When you ask a Little how old he or she is, you're a bit more likely to hear, "I don't know," or, "It's hard to say," than a specific age.
This obviously means Little age. I thought it was understood, but then, I watched a video about inducing Littlespace when it's difficult, and the girl who made it said regressive people didn't know how old they are chronologically, and I'm like, "No, no, no, no, no, no, wait! That's not regression! That's dissociation, which is mental illness," and other Littles, even regressive ones, were calling themselves Ageplayers, because they knew their chronological age, and were taking what she said as gospel!

How sad!

A Little should always be able to give his or her chronological age. In fact, someone who asks, is very likely to get the person's chronological, physical age as an answer, even if the asker means Little age.

I envision a conversation like this.

Curious person to me: "How old are you?"
I tell him or her my chronological age.
Curious person to me: "I mean your Little age."
Me: "What do you think this is? Cosplay? A
renaissance festival? A game, where when you're all done, you go back to not acting? I'm not acting. It's not pretentious B.S. If it were something like a renaissance festival, where once you're out of the costume, you're back to normal, then I'd be, 'playing,' a certain age, and you might get a number, but it's not, so, I just feel Little. It's innate, 'It's in there,' like Ragu pasta sauce, but, so is being an adult. That's why it's so hard to give a Little age."

The girl who made the video said, "Littlespace just means Subspace."

I winced.

No. If that were true, every Sub would be a Little!

She said, "I'm an ageplayer. Acting a certain age is fun," and I thought, "Good for you, but so is skiing. Something makes you choose this instead. What is it? Come on! There's lots of other games you could waste your time with. Ah, but you know this is deeper than a game. Don't you?"

I'd go to CAPCon, because that's where Littles and bABies go, but when someone calls me an Ageplayer, I hear, "This has no innate depth, or meaning, whatsoever! The only goal is frivolity and fun. Regressive Little bABies aren't conveying love of self, to self, or love of BIG, to BIG. It's just an unusual, fun thing they do!"

It's not that age regressors can't be adults. We are. We stay that way. We don't lose time. We know how old our big sides are, all the time, every time. Knowing how old we are physically, annoys and henders some. Some of us take our mirrors down, as a first step, if we know we're going to regress.

We do things while Adulting, to acknowledge our Little selves; that's all! An age regressor might ask for her BIG's shampoo, so, when she goes to court, she'll be calm, because she smells like him.

He might go for a medical procedure, deliberately wearing a shirt with a pocket, to keep his paci in, or with a bit of extra fluff under his jeans.

When I was in high school, right after the custody fiasco worked out in my favor, my mom was afraid it'd be too much newness, so, she let me wear her bracelet. It helped.

Last edited:
I would argue all ABs are little but not all little are AB

For me ab defentaly are more into diapers bottles pacifiers cuddling so on..... i moved into calling my self a diapered little.... like my diapers. But perfer to play with older kids toys and vedio games......also skip on the pacifier being feed and so on

I have read a good portion of this and have a question I have DID I have a little named Ivy. I have a middle name Zach and I have two different Bigs One of them is named honey and she's older, a southerner and a little kinky. But I don't regress into them. They are each a part of me and I switch to the different ones when my little comes out. I'm not regressing into her. She is me only about 7 years old. You know she loves stuffies coloring..... I was mortified because someone in ADDL wanted to know if my little was sexual..... I'm a parent and have a 9-year-old daughter. I wanted to call the cops on this guy. I need a little help finding out where I fit in. DMs are welcome as long as you're not trying to be crude. I'm on Fetlife Hokuspokus41 and Snapchat hokuspokus

FemmGuyDabs said:
I have read a good portion of this and have a question I have DID I have a little named Ivy. I have a middle name Zach and I have two different Bigs One of them is named honey and she's older, a southerner and a little kinky. But I don't regress into them. They are each a part of me and I switch to the different ones when my little comes out. I'm not regressing into her. She is me only about 7 years old. You know she loves stuffies coloring..... I was mortified because someone in ADDL wanted to know if my little was sexual..... I'm a parent and have a 9-year-old daughter. I wanted to call the cops on this guy. I need a little help finding out where I fit in. DMs are welcome as long as you're not trying to be crude. I'm on Fetlife Hokuspokus41 and Snapchat hokuspokus
Hi and welcome. You'll find that this is a moderated site and the mods do a good job. I don't think anyone here would hit on you but if that were to happen, all you have to do is report it to a mod. Quite frankly, we're not that kind of site though every once in a while a spammer will make an account. They typically get a lifetime ban.

Back