How much does your bladder hold?

Slomo said:
That would still be way too much for overnight (the OP said it was during day roadtrips too though) If someone is taking in the recommended 64oz per 24 hours, then less than a third of that will be built up in a bladder during those overnight 8 or so hours. So even 22oz at the most would be more than typical since our digestive also slows down when we're asleep.

Most people have experienced needing to get up many times overnight to pee if they drink too much before bed. It's not that unusual. Drink two glasses of water right before bed. Its not like your body stops pulling water out of your system when you lay down. My bladder fills itself (and then I empty it!) several times every night. It's not like I'm talking all 60+oz is leaving in one giant flood!

Almost as much as a tall glass cup. My body quickly replenishes though once I've peed though.

In my case it can vary a lot. It seems like there is a constant fight going on between by sphinkter and my detrusor. I was not able to empty my bladder during my last urodynamic investigation even when the bladder contained 800 ml (it was quite an embarrassing situation because I wet the examination bed shortly after the investigation). On the other hand I often have accident shortly after having emptied my bladder in the morning.

bambinod said:
Most people have experienced needing to get up many times overnight to pee if they drink too much before bed. It's not that unusual. Drink two glasses of water right before bed. Its not like your body stops pulling water out of your system when you lay down. My bladder fills itself (and then I empty it!) several times every night. It's not like I'm talking all 60+oz is leaving in one giant flood!

It doesn't stop, but your kidneys do slow down considerably while we are sleeping. That is unless we have a hormone imbalance.

As far as I remember I measured by myself round about 400ml years ago. When my IC started I think the UD shows 230ml... Meanwhile I'm back to 320ml before I leak.

Slomo said:
It doesn't stop, but your kidneys do slow down considerably while we are sleeping. That is unless we have a hormone imbalance.

yep, iirc the kidneys produce a hormone when you are asleep that encourages your body to use as much aerobic and as a little anaerobic respiration as possible, reducing the lactic acid in the blood that the kidneys will ultimately need to extract to the bladder. (it doesn't just have your kidneys reduce their removal, that would lead to an unsafe buildup in the blood) Was that something in the adrenal glands at the top of the kidneys? It's been awhile...

bambinod said:
yep, iirc the kidneys produce a hormone when you are asleep that encourages your body to use as much aerobic and as a little anaerobic respiration as possible, reducing the lactic acid in the blood that the kidneys will ultimately need to extract to the bladder. (it doesn't just have your kidneys reduce their removal, that would lead to an unsafe buildup in the blood) Was that something in the adrenal glands at the top of the kidneys? It's been awhile...

I'm not sure, we're getting past my level of knowledge. I only know the total amount of urine production slows during sleep, and that what urine we do produce at night is differently ballanced than what we produce during the day. And that the difference is cause by a day/night hormone ballance of some sort.

My last visit to my Continence Nurse, I told her that my night time output was often double my daytime. I'd wet about 1900ml a couple of times.

This past week Ive maxed out my night nappies (Inspire+InControl and Abena XL4s) to the point of leaking - that's generally over 1500ml. I wet the bed the other night too.

Slomo said:
I'm not sure, we're getting past my level of knowledge. I only know the total amount of urine production slows during sleep, and that what urine we do produce at night is differently ballanced than what we produce during the day. And that the difference is cause by a day/night hormone ballance of some sort.

You are correct Slomo and i believe you are referring to An imbalance of the antidiuretic hormone (ADH)

Anti-diuretic hormone (ADH)
Anti-diuretic hormone regulates urine production by increasing water reabsorption in the kidney. Both insufficient production of ADH, or insufficient response to ADH, leads to an overproduction of urine, often beyond the capacity of a child's bladder. The body normally increases ADH levels at night, signalling the kidneys to produce less urine. The diurnal change may not be seen until about age 10. In some bed wetting children this increase in ADH production does not occur, while other children may produce an increased amount of ADH but their response is insufficient.

Last time i had a bladder capacity test, they said i first reported feeling something around 800mL, then started leaking around 1300mL, so I'm a bit off from the norm, haha.

Now in my 30's my bladder holds about 32oz or about one Liter.

But thats sleeping in fetal position and ignoring the need to go...

Glad so many are jumping in here and reporting their capacity! I had a good chance to measure yesterday and I was having bladder contractions and almost wetting myself and having to use all my will power not to do so. I figured it was as much as I was going to get, but I think sometimes it does hold more when it isn't messing with me and squeezing itself violently. I got 10 oz. Regarding the ADH discussion, I wonder if mine is out of whack. I produce a lot of urine at night. It's why I wear diapers every night now. It's either that or be falling asleep all day (at work, at stoplights, at anything). When I have to get up 4 times at night to pee, it's disruptive. My OAB is really close to needing them during the day too, but usually I can arrange my life to get by without. As for measuring diaper weight, I recently spent about 13 hours overnight and into the morning in a Rearz Seduction (Inspire+) with two Northshore boosters in the middle, and one on each wing and reached 8.4 pounds. That all weighs about 1 pound dry, so 7.4 pounds would be about 118 ounces of output and I'm sure I went a good 10 times.

Well the joke in my family is I’m part camel. I can go what seems like an entire day with out even having the feeling of needing to pee. My bladder is like Fort Knox, which has the downside of me not being able to set a diaper so easily.

I think mine is about 500ml.

If you get nocturia like me, your urine production doesn’t reduce that much at night.

Good for losing weight but bad for sleeping - even in a nappy.

I've never measured my "output" capacity but I can generally consume unordinary amounts before feeling the need to go. Typically over 64floz.

My diaper does the measuring for me. When its squishy it's time to change [emoji57]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back