Prostate biopsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky129

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Going in for my first prostate biopsy today. Feeling pretty nervous but trying to tell myself its just precautionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you rather not know and risk dying from something that's correctable, OR go through with it and know for sure?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that done via a small needle biopsy? It a pretty quick in and out for you if so. A small moment of discomfort can completely remove any nervousness. Totally worth it in my book.

Update...well I have prostate cancer. Life just keeps getting better. :(

Chucky129 said:

Better than if you hadn't gotten it checked, did nothing, and potentially died from it. Yeah it sucks they will have to remove your prostrate, but I've been through it and the surgery isn't all that bad really.

Chucky129 said:

So sorry to hear this for you - I’m sure it’s terribly disappointing news, and maybe scary too! I wish you the very best in treatment and recovery.

Sorry to hear.

You need to do your homework and make the best decision for yourself regarding treatment.

In 2008, I had a radical prostatectomy for aggressive prostate cancer at the age of 54. Cancer was in both lobes, Gleason score of 4+5=9, largest tumor 2.1 CM. There was extra-prostatic extension, left seminal vesicle involvement, and perineural invasion. Stage: pT3b, N0, MX. Oncologist gave me 2 years to live, and started me on androgen therapy (chemical castration) immediately for 6 months. Because nerves were removed, I have total ED... injections are the only way for me to get it up. I was already dealing with incontinence, so still in diapers, though I no longer have bladder spasms.

In 2011 my PSA returned. In 2012 I pushed for salvage radiation, though two oncologists said it wouldn't help. I am 64 now and still in remission.

I biopsies at 50, 51, 52, 53, and 54. Cancer was found on the last biopsy. A Gleason score of 4+3=7, indicated it was on the aggressive side. My urologist informed me that his surgeon was booked up for 6 months, but not to worry, as prostate cancer is a slow growing cancer. I demanded to be referred to a top urological oncologist for another opinion. A week later my prostate was removed by the urological oncologist. The largest tumor was nearly the size of a normal prostate, and the cancer was already beyond the prostate capsule. If I had waited the 6 months, I would have been dead a long time ago. I'm telling you this, not to scare you, but to let you know that YOU are in charge of your health, not your doctors.

DO NOT let a doctor tell you it's a slow disease. That may be true for most men, but that doesn't mean it's true for you. I was very pushy about my treatment and it has paid off. According to your profile you are 48. That is young, indicating higher chance of aggressive cancer. A PSA doubling time of 12 months or less also indicates a higher chance of aggressive cancer. Do your homework, choose your course of action, and demand to be treated in a timely manner.

Also, take the time to grieve. This is a life changing moment. Hopefully you will come out of this with no ED and better bladder control. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just need to talk.

Reactions: RedStripeLvr, SimonSays and dogboy
CheshireCat said:
Sorry to hear.

You need to do your homework and make the best decision for yourself regarding treatment.

In 2008, I had a radical prostatectomy for aggressive prostate cancer at the age of 54. Cancer was in both lobes, Gleason score of 4+5=9, largest tumor 2.1 CM. There was extra-prostatic extension, left seminal vesicle involvement, and perineural invasion. Stage: pT3b, N0, MX. Oncologist gave me 2 years to live, and started me on androgen therapy (chemical castration) immediately for 6 months. Because nerves were removed, I have total ED... injections are the only way for me to get it up. I was already dealing with incontinence, so still in diapers, though I no longer have bladder spasms.

In 2011 my PSA returned. In 2012 I pushed for salvage radiation, though two oncologists said it wouldn't help. I am 64 now and still in remission.

I biopsies at 50, 51, 52, 53, and 54. Cancer was found on the last biopsy. A Gleason score of 4+3=7, indicated it was on the aggressive side. My urologist informed me that his surgeon was booked up for 6 months, but not to worry, as prostate cancer is a slow growing cancer. I demanded to be referred to a top urological oncologist for another opinion. A week later my prostate was removed by the urological oncologist. The largest tumor was nearly the size of a normal prostate, and the cancer was already beyond the prostate capsule. If I had waited the 6 months, I would have been dead a long time ago. I'm telling you this, not to scare you, but to let you know that YOU are in charge of your health, not your doctors.

DO NOT let a doctor tell you it's a slow disease. That may be true for most men, but that doesn't mean it's true for you. I was very pushy about my treatment and it has paid off. According to your profile you are 48. That is young, indicating higher chance of aggressive cancer. A PSA doubling time of 12 months or less also indicates a higher chance of aggressive cancer. Do your homework, choose your course of action, and demand to be treated in a timely manner.

Also, take the time to grieve. This is a life changing moment. Hopefully you will come out of this with no ED and better bladder control. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just need to talk.

Brilliant post, great advice. Thanks for sharing.

I am sorry to hear that you have prostate cancer. My surgery was earlier this fall. I found a very helpful website. It is www.cancerfourms.net They have sub forums for a large number of cancers including prostate. The prostate forum is highly monitored and very specific. There is a large section of sticky notes on various situations, treatments and options. I encourage you to visit the site.

I'm sorry I missed this post last week. I'm another PC patient. My PSA doubled in a year but my first biopsy came back negative. I was on active surveillance for six months. The next PSA test doubled again! After another biopsy cancer was found in 4 of 12 samples, 3+3. I met with a radiologist and my doctor who does the robotic surgery. I chose surgery in August of last year and although the cancer was found to be contained in the gland (final biopsy was 4+3), a subsequent DNA test of the cancer showed it to be very aggressive so I underwent 39 rounds of radiation this past summer (adjuvant radiation). I am also on hormone reduction shots for a year (half done) and ever since the surgery, I too, have been ic. Mostly stress ic but some uncontrolled dribbles.

Anyway, you have friends on your side helping you to fight. As CheshireCat said, there is success after surgery. If you have any questions, please PM one of your fellow warriors or post publicly and we will answer your questions. The ultimate decisions are yours. Educate, ask questions and take some one with you to all your appointments.

I like to say: Every cancer is different, every doctor is different, every treatment is different. I did not read the book but I have heard that Surviving Prostate Cancer by Dr. Patrick Walsh is a good read.

Stay strong brother!

Make sure you understand exactly what the doctor proposes doing. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on the recommended treatment IF time allows for this. Also, talk to your doctor and see if there is a possibility of preserving the nerve bundle.

Good luck to you.
I've been cancer free since my radical prostatectomy in November 2002.
The bad part is, I have to wear some type of protection all the time.
My wife says it was either diapers or death, she would rather have me in diapers.
Please keep us informed.

Thank you for the replies and advice. Working through those 2nd and 3rd opinions. The emotional roller coaster was not something I expected. Each day is a new adventure.

hey Chucky129 hey i know whats its like to have PC and yes it sucks but at least now i am 1 month in remission.Had Radical prostecomy plus 8 rounds chemo and so far all clear .I am 100 percent incontient but id rather have that than be gone.Even though i was already startign to have trouble with neurogenioc bladder troubles and was using diapers and catheters .Well now i am also bowel incontinent no control at all.but oh well take the good with the bad.Keep your head up bud you got this and trust me get the surgery quickly as possible no waiting.Be safe .

Hey everyone update time. So I have a new team and they performed a MRI that actually found a growing 2cm tumor on the anterior lobe that was not part of the original biopsy. They are scheduling me for a fusion biopsy to target that site and they will be doing random samples as well. My incontinence has continued and unfortunately I am experiencing more symptoms. My wife and I have both already decided on treatment. We feel that a radical prostatectomy and orchiectomy are far preferred to radiation and hormones. If anyone knows of good online support groups I’d love to hear.

Chucky129 said:
Hey everyone update time. So I have a new team and they performed a MRI that actually found a growing 2cm tumor on the anterior lobe that was not part of the original biopsy. They are scheduling me for a fusion biopsy to target that site and they will be doing random samples as well. My incontinence has continued and unfortunately I am experiencing more symptoms. My wife and I have both already decided on treatment. We feel that a radical prostatectomy and orchiectomy are far preferred to radiation and hormones. If anyone knows of good online support groups I’d love to hear.

Well as a prostate cancer survivor so far i understand whats going on.I had full orchiectomy and penectomy as well due to how far mine had goen and the lack of sensation in that area .I am actually much happier that all is gone and less hassle to deal with sicne no feelign down there.But hey i dotn mind being diaperd 24/7 because i am also bowel incontinent .Life goes on and i am living it the best way i know how..

Chucky129 said:
My wife and I have both already decided on treatment. We feel that a radical prostatectomy and orchiectomy are far preferred to radiation and hormones. If anyone knows of good online support groups I’d love to hear.

There are several Facebook groups. Also, where I live, there is a monthly in person get together for support.

Reactions: Chucky129
I am a PC survivor. ustoo.org and inspire.org are both support groups you can explore.
Good luck.

Reactions: Chucky129
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back