Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Autism thread

Default The Autism thread

(OOT: I really don't know where to put this topic, so if the mods have a problem where it has been placed or if this has been done before then you can move it or delete it.)

So, lately I've been have severe problems that have been happening in my life. You know with school and kids being morons as usual. But through out this how ordeal (sp) it got me thinking. How many people on this website suffer from autism? How has this dissorder effected your life at school and at home? Has it had any impact on your social interaction with people? This thread is mainly for those who know a person that has autism or if you suffer from the dissorder.

I have Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. It has had an effect on every aspect of my life. I get head aches almost everyday from work. I'm usually baffled and amazed by the social nature of neurotypicals. I am also envious at the ease with which they interact. I hop from obsession to obsession never knowing when the next one will override whatever I'm into at the moment. It has a major affect on my social interactions. I have virtually no interpersonal skills IRL. I have basically no real close friends and wouldn't even know how to go about getting any. I make no connections with people beyond the absolute surface. And yet I can blend in so well with people they just think I am really quite.

Butterfly Mage

My best friend's son has Torette's Syndrome (I'm not sure if that's spelled correctly). It was pretty difficult for the family in the early years. However, his condition has gotten less symptomatic the older he gets. He just turned 18 and now only has a trace of that condition. I guess he's one of the lucky ones.

I honestly think that moderate to severe autism is completely different than Asperger's syndrome. I am not diagnosed with any mental condition, but my sister has moderate autism and it is very different than all individuals I have known with just Asperger's. Of course, all cases of autism are different. But while many individuals with Asperger's just have impediments in social skills, etc., many with moderate to severe autism are affected in a way which prevents them from leading a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovalchuk View Post
    I honestly think that moderate to severe autism is completely different than Asperger's syndrome. I am not diagnosed with any mental condition, but my sister has moderate autism and it is very different than all individuals I have known with just Asperger's. Of course, all cases of autism are different. But while many individuals with Asperger's just have impediments in social skills, etc., many with moderate to severe autism are affected in a way which prevents them from leading a normal life.
    I'm most certainly classified as Asperger's, but it prevents me from leading a normal life. Is it a bad thing? Depends how you look at it.

I've long wondered what's wrong with me: people really like me because I'm funny and intelligent, but I really have a tough time making close relationships. In other words, people like me a lot more than I like them. I've never understood that.

I'm like...a people person, but I hate the majority of the people I meet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I've long wondered what's wrong with me: people really like me because I'm funny and intelligent, but I really have a tough time making close relationships. In other words, people like me a lot more than I like them. I've never understood that.

I'm like...a people person, but I hate the majority of the people I meet. lol
    Me exactly. I can seem like a really cool guy to people I DON'T know because I can put up a front, and can seem sort of disinterested, insensitive and aloof to people I know because that false front doesn't work with people that know me, so I don't put it on.

I was diagnosed with ADD "plus" a long time ago, like about '85 or so. I could not remain attentive to ANY kinds of math, but could sort-of understand math better with some form of practical application, and I couldn't do redundant type lessons at school such as re-writing sentences from a book with the purpose of finding, and correcting the planted grammatical, or punctual errors.

The plus was that I could certainly pay attention to my Legos, and Capsella, build up some impressive stuff. I could take my bicycle apart, and reassemble it in a couple of hours, and I was also able to remember songs and stories I heard from book-and-records. "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" was one I remember my mom proudly telling the family folks that I could recite verbatim, and had me do just that at family functions. "Star Trek, Passage to Mouav" was another one.

Anyway, my parents knew something was not right because I seemed to be a bright kid that sucked in school, but it wasn't diagnosed as Autism, or Asperger's. The more I've read about both, the more characteristics I notice some familiarity with though.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggies1998 View Post
    I'm most certainly classified as Asperger's, but it prevents me from leading a normal life. Is it a bad thing? Depends how you look at it.
    Yet you can talk. I was too vague in saying 'a normal life', as there is no true example. The reason I was so vague is because every case is different. Many with moderate to severe autism cannot talk, carry out a conversation, or even express emotions like love.

^^ Good point. That's why I hesitate to diagnose myself as having Aspergers, or high functionality Autism because I seem to function and adjust very well. It's what's going on in my mind, and my past history of attention deficiencies in learning environments that makes me wonder...

I don't think it's worth the time and money spent for me to be tested now anyway. I don't really need to know since I'm not in school, I'm pretty content with who I am.

I got Aspergers and i felt that i had suffered from this 3 years ago but now I feel like I just don't have it anymore and I just live my life each day. There are a lot of people in this site that have Aspergers though. See my thread titled Aspergers.