Drinking habits

mkinko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have a few questions to all suffering from urge incontinence...

Do you have drinking habits which you think help to reduce your urge symptoms? For me it‘s best to drink small quantities (~ 1 glass) in frequent intervals (at least once per hour). I do this until bedtime. I’m still incontinent but the urge symptoms are much reduced. When drinking too much or not enough the urge symptoms are more pronounced. If I neglect drinking for a few hours furing the day, I risk cramps in the lower body region and retention.

I mostly drink water, coffee or tea (in the evening a glass if wine or beer).

Do what you have to, but be careful not to restrict fluids in situations where you need them. It's far too common for people to think, I'll just not drink to avoid these problems and can cause other health problems.

I would’t say habits, but it helps a lot to split the drinking over the day. I changed that also because it helps a lot - and my experiance is like yours. It’s important to drink enaugh, because otherwise - despite of a lot of other problems - the urin gets concentrated what causes even more urge and/or cramps. More over it’s imortant what you dink. At last for me drinks that contain to much acid (like orange juce), are dangerous as well as coffee and beer.

I'm aware that coffee or alcohol is not the best liquid to consume when dealing with urge incontinence; it's just that I like both and don't want to miss it.

mkinko said:
I have a few questions to all suffering from urge incontinence...

Do you have drinking habits which you think help to reduce your urge symptoms? For me it‘s best to drink small quantities (~ 1 glass) in frequent intervals (at least once per hour). I do this until bedtime. I’m still incontinent but the urge symptoms are much reduced. When drinking too much or not enough the urge symptoms are more pronounced. If I neglect drinking for a few hours furing the day, I risk cramps in the lower body region and retention.

I mostly drink water, coffee or tea (in the evening a glass if wine or beer).

Reduce? Yeah, don't drink any water and let you body get dehydrated. Oh wait, that can be life threatening. So yeah, drink what you know you need (about 64 oz per day) and stay diapered.

A glass an hour seems a lot to me. This shows how diverse each of us are in how we present and cope. 20+ times that's how many trips to the toilet or leaks I recorded in trying something like drinking a bit every hour and that was from 6am to 10pm.

I always found it odd on advice to restrict or refrain from drinking after N pm. Is it not better to wet at night than in a crowded place during the day?

My Continence nurse drew up a drink schedule for me, 250ml water about every two hours up to dinner time (about 7:30pm), then nothing after. One coffee in the morning about 0830, then thats it.

Up until about three weeks ago, I had followed it pretty closely, but had been peeing twice as much overnight compared to the daytime.

My fluid intake has been completely screwed these past three weeks, as I've moved into a new house, and still trying to find a new routine due to extra travel etc.

I just drink what I like when I like and deal with the consiquences

Reactions: Cyprushill427
daylight said:
A glass an hour seems a lot to me. This shows how diverse each of us are in how we present and cope. ...

I think it depends also on your weight - normally you can calculate 30-40 ml per Kg body weight for a normal healthy adult. If you go under it you risk dehydration.

I get dehydrated quickly if i dont drink a lot so i don’t restrict my fluids. Everytime i tried to, i almost ended up in hospital.

I try to drink atleast a glass or two of water every hour which might not be a lot to some people but i have a very small bladder

Its a common misunderstanding that reducing ones fluid intake will decrease the amount of urine produced its NO , The only thing this does is make youre urine more concentrated does risking further complications with UTI`s etc.... Not to mention you will risk dehydrating.

So yeah i drink what i whant to when i need it and let the urine have its way so to say

I'm addicted to coffee so have to drink two large cups in the morning but I usually dont go outside for at least a couple hours afterwards. Then I really restrict my fluid intake for the rest of the day to avoid unexpected events before again hydrating at and just after dinner. I almost never drink after 7 pm except to take my nighttime meds. I guess I picked up on this habit after being lectured for years not to drink after dinner 'or you'll pee the bed' although the lack of liquid intake does cause urine concentration as somebody else said. And Ive really reduced my alcohol intake in the past few years too by restricting it mainly to one evening a week where I drink beers with friends although I now limit myself to 3 or 4 at the most cans or bottles. And even thats too much for me sometimes.

I've always got a water bottle on the go. It's so important to stay hydrated!

Missy1 said:
Its a common misunderstanding that reducing ones fluid intake will decrease the amount of urine produced its NO , The only thing this does is make youre urine more concentrated does risking further complications with UTI`s etc.... Not to mention you will risk dehydrating.

So yeah i drink what i whant to when i need it and let the urine have its way so to say

I notice when I am dehydrated my Urine has a Odd sometimes unpleasant odor

Back