Overnight Diaper "Blowout"

dl820

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I woke up this morning, my Abena M4 had completely split vertically on the front right side where the tapes were attached. This was the first time ever that I remember my diaper failing like this.

Fortunately, I had on pajama pants since it was cold overnight, and most of the absorbent material mess was contained in the pajama pants. It would have been a big mess if I had slept in just the diaper as I usually do in the warmer months.

I hope I didn't get a bad batch of diapers.

Abena seem to be dropping in quality the last few years, as a lot of people have been saying the last 4 or 5 years anyways ever since the announcement came out that Abena would soon be doing away with Plastic Backing soon and people have noticed they dont absorb like they used to and feel cheaper.

Abena have dropped in quality many times over the past 15 years.

With so many better products out there I'd highly recommend you switch.

blob said:
Abena have dropped in quality many times over the past 15 years.

With so many better products out there I'd highly recommend you switch.

Why and how did they drop in quality over the years?

ScriptedGamer said:

Materials have gotten thinner leaving the product prone to splitting (like the OP had) or wings tearing off. The tapes have gotten weaker, and the padding less stable (prone to clumping). However, it is entirely possible that a majority of the perceived decline in quality comes from the massive introduction of specialized market driven products for the AB/DL community that completely overshadow the old performers. I believe it's commonly referred to as "power creep" in gaming communities.

The truth is that Abena's have always been prone to padding clumping and break down; backsheet splits and wings tearing off; tapes popping or slipping. These issues become all the more apparent when other specialized products are introduced alongside and at increasingly higher quality. The problem becomes that much greater and easier to see when Abenas' own product doesn't improve (and even declines a bit) as the market for premium diapers continuously expands and moves on. Most people associate the decline of Abenas' flagship product with the introduction of the M-4 and disappearance of the original X-Plus moniker.

Back when I use to wear M4's, I had one split perfectly right down the middle of my butt. That was from my last case I ever ordered.

I don't really like Abenas, especially the versions here in Europe. Very "clumpy" when they get wet.

I've gone through a case or two of Abena M4s about 4 or 5 years ago and never had any problems with them, I mean sure there were better diapers out there (even back then), but they were a pretty solid performer still; but these days products from most industries are either becoming lower quality, or if the quality stays the same the price significantly increases; leaving it as an overpriced option with better choices out there for the cost.

Llayden said:
I believe it's commonly referred to as "power creep" in gaming communities.

I love this analogy. There sure is a ton of power creep in the diaper world.

not sure where you are in the world but if ordering from northshore is do able i would look at there shop brand ones or even the crinklz

I've been using the M-4s since they came out after the demise of the X-Plus a decade or so back and while they cheapened them up in the first few years dropping waistband elastic and SAP volume they have been consistent and dependable within their range for me.

ScriptedGamer said:

Why = cut costs.

How = cheaper padding, less padding, thinner plastic. Look at pics of the Abena X-PLUS. They have made it worse by 'revising' it about 4 or 5 times since those days.

Back