Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Cool Rap Music

If you have ever seen me and my avatar, it is implicated that I love rap music. It is true. I am listening to rap music (Eminem's Relapse) as I write this topic. This is not a thread that discusses whether you like rap music but a topic that discusses your personal opinion about rap music. The question is:

What is your opinion about rap music in general?

If you like rap music, what attracts you to it and what do you see specifically in rap music that attracts you to it.

If you don't like rap music, then discuss why it isn't your favorite type of music and what is wrong with it.

I placed it in Mature Topics because I feel that there can be a mature discussion with the issue at hand but if wrongly placed in here then I apologize and it can be moved accordingly to wherever it belongs.

In my opinion, I feel that rap music is part of my life and the reason I am attracted to it is that it keeps a certain beat to it and effectively tell a story or an opinion at hand that captures the listener. That's my 50 cents. My personal favorites are 2Pac, 50 Cent, Outkast, T.I. Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kanye West, Ludacris, Nas, and many many more. When I edited this, I am now listening to Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor.
    Last edited by EvaIlyxtra; 21-May-2009 at 01:49.

I don't care for it, but I have no problem with it playing at a party. Just because I don't enjoy doesn't mean I think there is anything wrong with it. Just not my cup of tea.

I used to be really close minded before when it came to music, including thinking that all rappers, rapped about how much money they got, how much they like to shoot guns and how many "hoes" they got. Then I actually started to listen and found out that much of it was more than that. And now I love it!

my favorite rappers I think would be Notorious B.I.G,Immortal Technique,Dr.Dre,CunningLynguists and Kanye West(before he released 808's and heartbreaks)

Im not sure what attracts me to it, I personally love the beats they got, when they come up with good rhymes and if they have something meaningful to say like most of Immortal Tech's songs!

I love rap infact I downloaded Relapse yesterday love it. i don't really know why i like rap i just do.

I really like the old school. N.W.A.(and I'm white), Notorious BIG, Dr.Dre, early Snoop.
    Eminem, D12, Obie Trice, Fidy are about all I listen to from the new school.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara View Post
    I used to be really close minded before when it came to music, including thinking that all rappers, rapped about how much money they got, how much they like to shoot guns and how many "hoes" they got. Then I actually started to listen and found out that much of it was more than that. And now I love it!

my favorite rappers I think would be Notorious B.I.G,Immortal Technique,Dr.Dre,CunningLynguists and Kanye West(before he released 808's and heartbreaks)

Im not sure what attracts me to it, I personally love the beats they got, when they come up with good rhymes and if they have something meaningful to say like most of Immortal Tech's songs!
    I'd like to add Wu Tang Clan.

Good rap: Tells a story and has a good flow

Bad rap: Beats and nonsensical sayings, usually over the top with sexual imagery

I agree except for Kanye, his ego is over inflated and he thinks hes a gift to man kind.

Butterfly Mage

Ick! I loathe rap music. I don't really consider it music at all. It usually just has some dude screaming rhythmically into a microphone about how his gilfriend is a "whore" and a "bitch", how he's going to cap some other guy who "snitched", and how he wants to kill the cops.

Of course, then there is what I call "sample" rap, where some dude takes a 5-second sound byte from some other song, repeats it a zillion times in a loop while screaming and cursing into the microphone.

Well... that's my opinion. I'm not saying rap is bad for everyone, but I know that *I* don't like it at all!

I think rap, like a lot of kinds of music, started out as very artistic and intellectual. As others have mentioned, rappers told stories...really, it was rhyming poetry recited to a beat, with a lot of rhythm and flow. There were a lot of songs promoting and pushing for change (a lot like rock music) and a lot that described a way of life...as well as a side of society that a lot of people didn't know about.

Like any kind of music that gains popularity, rap basically turned into pop music...music that was meant more to entertain than anything else. What's really funny about it is that white, suburban teenagers made it this way...just like the idea of rock stars, rap created a fantasy world of sex, drinking and a "glamorous" gangster lifestyle. It was (and in a lot of ways still is) the new definition of cool. It's party music. So, a lot of popular rap lost it's original ingenuity...like I said, it basically became a different form of pop (this happens with anything kind of music that becomes popular).

Of course, that's not to say that there isn't plenty of rap still around that still has those same qualities that rap started out with. It's also not to say that popular rap music doesn't have any of those qualities either...some of my personal favorite artists such as Fort Minor, OutKast, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, Eminem, and Ludacris are very popular and mainstream, and they have great lyrical quality, rhyming ability, and originality...not to mention messages that are real.

The problem is that the "pop" rap is what a lot of people hear, and they associate all rap with it and think that all rap is trash. I also think sometimes people are close-minded towards rap because they either don't understand the language, the dialect, or simply can't relate to the lifestyle.

I can understand that, but I hope that people will at least appreciate the quality of good rap music. I used to be close-minded towards country music...but while I still don't enjoy most of it, when I became more open minded I learned that there's a whole lot to it, a lot of great songs, and a lot of great messages about it...and it was my close-mindedness that was the problem, not the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Ick! I loathe rap music. I don't really consider it music at all. It usually just has some dude screaming rhythmically into a microphone about how his gilfriend is a "whore" and a "bitch", how he's going to cap some other guy who "snitched", and how he wants to kill the cops.

Of course, then there is what I call "sample" rap, where some dude takes a 5-second sound byte from some other song, repeats it a zillion times in a loop while screaming and cursing into the microphone.

Well... that's my opinion. I'm not saying rap is bad for everyone, but I know that *I* don't like it at all!
    Listen to this then
    YouTube - Still Smashing-Biggy Ft.Lo Boy

As for my opinion on rap music I dont have a problem with it I like the old school like Run DMC, Public Enemy,
    Ice Cube, NWA, and Eazy E. I also like some of the new stuff too but its songs like "Stanky Leg" YouTube - GS Boyz Stanky Leg Official Video that I cant stand.

xdeadx

I like it a little.. People are surprised when I say that for some reason >.>

I love Outkast though.

Well, I have admired rap from the start, though I rarely enjoyed it as a musical form. It has done more to revive poetry - the creation of and appreciation of - than anything for over 100 years. I am trying to educate myself in rap and it is coming slowly. So far my rabbit hole has been NWA and Eminem, though I was there for "The Message" (Grandmaster Flash and the furious 5) and even for Blondie's "Rapture." The big thing for me is the "sound" is not to my taste until I like the lyrics, and that takes listening and looking at a lyric sheet. Oh - and the stuff that is radio-played, the conglomerated hip hop soft stuff, the equivalent of soft rock (ugh) makes my gorge rise.

Raccoons don't care for soft things except to sit upon.