Goodbye ABU, Hello Tykables

Honeywell6180 said:
Well, I got some info from a customer care representative. The plastic backing on all their products will have this new mat finish as seen on the shipment of SDKs I got. ABUniverse is transitioning more towards a medical products company, since that is the majority of their business. The representative claims that the new plastic backing is stronger than the old, so this change wasn't necessarily to the benefit of the wearer. It was a deliberate move to accommodate caregivers who assist developmentally disabled adults and older children. How do I know this? It's because I know for a fact there was nothing wrong with the outer backing on their older products. I don't believe that the ABDL population is in the majority here, and I also don't believe that ABUniverse is showing much favor to those who just "like" wearing them.

Buckle up....

That sucks :( I've been wearing the ABU Little Pawz exclusively for nearly three years now and one of my favorite things about them is the way the plastic feels. I had finally found my perfect diaper. I'm bummed.

gnd567 said:
That sucks :( I've been wearing the ABU Little Pawz exclusively for nearly three years now and one of my favorite things about them is the way the plastic feels. I had finally found my perfect diaper. I'm bummed.

I just got a new shipment of Little Paws, and they still have that softer, smoother plastic. But I definitely worry about their next run, because the representative made it clear to me that they will have the same plastic as the new SDKs.

Howdy!
I want to step in and clarify a couple points on this. I spoke to the same person you spoke to and he feels as if what he said was vastly misrepresented.

Honeywell6180 said:
Well, I got some info from a customer care representative. The plastic backing on all their products will have this new mat finish as seen on the shipment of SDKs I got. ABUniverse is transitioning more towards a medical products company, since that is the majority of their business.

This is very far from the truth. Medical is indeed a minority of our business - we estimate at 20%. We absolutely value the medical community, and we believe the best diapers are made by people who love wearing diapers.

Honeywell6180 said:
The representative claims that the new plastic backing is stronger than the old, so this change wasn't necessarily to the benefit of the wearer.

We have moved to stronger plastic backing on all diapers with the exception of Barebum for a few reasons:
1.) Durability. The thinner the plastic, the more prone to pinhole leaks and splitting the diaper will be. Since we moved to thicker plastic, which started when we released Space, we have had no complaints or issues.
2.) Prevention of sag due to stretch.

Barebum did not see any changes as we decided the plastic was just right given the diaper's profile.

Any and all changes made are about giving the best possible experience to our customers. The change to the stronger material does come at a higher cost of manufacturing.

Honeywell6180 said:
It's because I know for a fact there was nothing wrong with the outer backing on their older products.

We had really terrible issues when I took control back in 2015 with SDKs and Cushies falling apart if the tape stayed on too long. Customers and internal testing also showed pinholes leaks and splitting issues.

I just wanted to set the record straight on these items.

We're really focussed on getting the quality right the first time. If that means manufacturing takes longer, or the materials come at a higher expense, so be it. Will everything ever be perfect? No. Certainly not.

Our staff of 26 worldwide, is 100% ABDL. That is taken VERY seriously. We have some that wear 24/7 for medical need, and some that wear 24/7 because they enjoy it. All of us, big/small, of many genders, use our diapers. Every change is scrutinized meticulously.

My goal is not confrontation, it is purely to clarify some things that may have not been explained properly in your call today, or published past or publicized.

I welcome any and all dialog. If you would like to email me privately my email is casey<at>abuniverse<dot>com.

-Thanks,
Casey Strom
CEO, ABU

- - - Updated - - -

Honeywell6180 said:
I just got a new shipment of Little Paws, and they still have that softer, smoother plastic. But I definitely worry about their next run, because the representative made it clear to me that they will have the same plastic as the new SDKs.

We have no plans of changing the film on LittlePawz on future runs.

Reactions: ronnieM
klo555 said:
Howdy!
I want to step in and clarify a couple points on this. I spoke to the same person you spoke to and he feels as if what he said was vastly misrepresented.

This is very far from the truth. Medical is indeed a minority of our business - we estimate at 20%. We absolutely value the medical community, and we believe the best diapers are made by people who love wearing diapers.

We have moved to stronger plastic backing on all diapers with the exception of Barebum for a few reasons:
1.) Durability. The thinner the plastic, the more prone to pinhole leaks and splitting the diaper will be. Since we moved to thicker plastic, which started when we released Space, we have had no complaints or issues.

Barebum did not see any changes as we decided the plastic was just right given the diaper's profile.

Any and all changes made are about giving the best possible experience to our customers. The change to the stronger material does come at a higher cost of manufacturing.

We had really terrible issues when I took control back in 2015 with SDKs and Cushies falling apart if the tape stayed on too long. Customers and internal testing also showed pinholes leaks and splitting issues.

We're really focussed on getting the quality right the first time. If that means manufacturing takes longer, or the materials come at a higher expense, so be it. Will everything ever be perfect? No. Certainly not.

Our staff of 26 worldwide, is 100% ABDL. That is taken VERY seriously. We have some that wear 24/7 for medical need, and some that wear 24/7 because they enjoy it. All of us, big/small, of many genders, use our diapers. Every change is scrutinized meticulously.

My goal is not confrontation, it is purely to clarify some things that may have not been explained properly in your call today, or published past or publicized.

I welcome any and all dialog. If you would like to email me privately my email is casey<at>abuniverse<dot>com.

-Thanks,
Casey Strom
CEO, ABU

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for clearing all this up! The Little Paws are actually quite nice, and are very comfortable. I will admit, the performance of the Super Dry Kids diapers is excellent, so I will live with the new outer backing. My physician understands the reason for the products I select, and they would actually prefer that I wear a diaper of this size and quality. Now, I am hoping to see some better availability.

klo555 said:
Howdy!

-Thanks,
Casey Strom
CEO, ABU

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest thing I got out of this is your company is big enough to have 26 people- worldwide, AND they are all 100% ABDL. Let me just say that is freaking awesome.

I was speaking to a rep lately too, and he confirmed changes but that’s no deal breaker for me. I don’t mind the peekabu plastic and the gatherers are better.

I bought a couple cases 😁

I still wish they offered the old style crappy pinhole plastic even if if was a thinner diaper, that was still the best plastic imo

klo555 said:
Howdy!

-Thanks,
Casey Strom
CEO, ABU

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for clearing things up!

For me the most appealing thing you notice with ABDL Diapers is the print and variety of different prints, once you get some ABDL diapers you start to notice other things like how much they absorb, how well they fit you (if you get the right size), whether you like 2 tapes or 4 tapes.

I have to say if there was any change recently to Kiddos I have nothing to complain about as it feels the same as all the orders of Little Pawz I ever got; I also absolutely love the 2 tapes on Kiddos combined with the front and rear elastic waistband, they feel so good and with a booster they absorb so much (after fully wet and with a sizable mess it feels like they weigh 20 lbs), mind you there are some great medical style Diapers out there, but you can absolutely count on ABDL brands to stay the same or improve (or so it seems anyways, though I have never tried Bambino and only tried Rearz Lil Monsters once as a sample), whereas it seems medical brands have a tendency to become worse.

I kinda want to try some Tykables, but the designs on them are a bit much for me.

12srepaid said:
I kinda want to try some Tykables, but the designs on them are a bit much for me.

The designs seems odd to some, but they are solid diapers and the velcro tabs are quite convenient.

There is also the Bear Hugs made by Changing Times Diaper Company that is quite similar (if not the exact same) but with a much more appealing print (at least I think so)

I really love velcro tabs, especially if I'm spending a lot on diapers. I can't believe ABU still doesn't have any diapers with velcro.

12srepaid said:
I really love velcro tabs, especially if I'm spending a lot on diapers. I can't believe ABU still doesn't have any diapers with velcro.

They were one of the first to take a stab at it, and stab they did ;) The front panels were a lot stiffer than what we see today, and the tapes were stiff and cut square with very sharp corners. I tried a bag but wasn't impressed, I was getting jabbed in the wrists all night long, I could only wear those diapers during the day under clothes. They haven't tried again since then AFAIK.

While I do see the value of velcro for some, it just doesn't suit me well. If you need to be taking off your diaper several times, for checking or using the toilet, or maybe just to make an adjustment of fit, it makes sense. But I don't need any of that so I prefer the greater security I get from adhesive tapes. Although I really like the Little Builders (and wear them daily to work) the velcro is a feature I don't get any value out of, and would be fine with them replacing the tapes with adhesive.

(and as far as velcro tapes go, bambino bellissimo have the most comfortable - they're not quite square shaped, the outside front is covered in a softer material, the corners are well-rounded, and the very end of the tape has that soft cover extending over it, so they're the most gentle velcro tapes on your wrists when sleeping)

Unfortunately most of the time I use regular tabs, I end up having to use duct taoe or clear packing tape, just gor the tape to stay put. Regular tabs just never worked well for me.

SAME. Utter rip off now they refuse to deal through NRU.

Glad we've weeded the corporation out though.

Back