Pros and cons to plastic and cloth backed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbird

Contributor
I honestly really can’t tell to much of a difference between the two but have been interested in abu preschool cloth backed

For me, I wear plastic backed diapers because cloth-like backed diapers tend to sag more when wet, needing to be adjusted frequently, as well as “weeping” moisture around the leg gathers, feeling clammy, and also letting more odor through after a couple hours. If you don’t have to wear for long periods of time though, these might not be an issue for you.

Cloth like diapers do not hold as much before leaking. They don't go well with diaper covers either, as they will make you feel more wet and clammy than you really are. They breathe more too, so they are no good for bowell accidents unless you like making others cringe. The shell of the diaper also tends to stretch a lot, which makes them sag more and need to be refastened more often as well.

Plastic though, tends to rustle and crinkle which some are afraid might make them easy to detect. The good plastic diapers are thicker, and also swell up more too. This can add to the fear of being detected but the added bulk is a trade off for fewer leaks, which actually makes them more discreete. At the same time, this also means they will last much longer before needing to be changed. Thks makes them perfect for overnight use. Though that can be good or bad for the day depending on if or when someone wants to change early.

I tried the Abena cloth backed diapers early on when my incontinece first started and I fould the clothbacked version felt damp to the touch once I tried the plastic backed version I found plastic backed diapers worked better and have since switched to the Betterdry or Crinkls diapers

You don't have the sag with the plastic backed diapers, as you do with the cloth backed diapers.
I put on a plastic backed diaper, ans it fits thru the day without needing to be tightened. The cloth
back diapers need to be adjusted several times a day.

If you need to/want to use them for pooping, I'd really recommend some internal deodorant with cloth-backed. A poopy plastic-backed diaper will still smell but not nearly to the same extent, especially if you aren't moving around. I usually will use plastic-backed in the morning, as that's when I usually poop and I'll possibly have to stay in them for 30 minutes or so before I can get away to change, then I'll switch to cloth-backed for the rest of the day, as cloth-backed are generally more available, at least where I live. All in all I prefer plastic, but I do have to admit that the quietness of cloth-backed is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back