ABUniverse SDKs has a new plastic backing

Honeywell6180

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I just recently opened up a new case, and noticed that the plastic backing on the Super Dry Kids are far different from the backing on the Confidry 24/7s. This new batch is still white, but feels more like a rough canvas, with a matt finish that does not reflect light. I dislike this new material, and am hoping they are not using it for the upcoming shipment of Little Paws.

I am putting this out as a fair warning to those who plan on buying this product. They still fit the same, but no longer have a pleasant feel to them like older batches did. Unfortunately, ABUniverse has a captive audience in regards to this product, for those who require a single tape fastening system. It's as if they are made to be a bit less pleasant, but more for utility. Make your decisions wisely. I think these will be around for a long time now.

Honeywell6180 said:
Unfortunately, ABUniverse has a captive audience in regards to this product, for those who require a single tape fastening system.

single tapes...
- cushies
- SDK
- lavender
- kiddo
- little squirts
- inspire select
- cuddlz

I think there's more. hardly a captive audience in one brand, let alone one model.

That's sad to hear. I just finished up my last few packs from before they went out of stock for like months and they had such a nice, buttery outer plastic that was quite noisy too.

I'm not the biggest fan of that more sheer material you find from brands like Rearz and DC Idyl, which is what the new plastic backing sounds like based on what you've said, but if the cut is the same, I think I'll still be getting them.

Also who knows, I recall getting some packs of Cushies, SDKs and other brands in the past where the plastic was more rough and at other times, I received packs where the plastic was more soft. I think that with a company like ABU that produces so many diapers, the print runs are gonna differ a little bit and the plastic calibers are going to vary at times. So, who knows, you could of just gotten a bum pack or forgotten what the plastic backing was like if you hadn't worn or used them in a long while. I would think that if a major manufacturing change occurred, they would have announced it.

I'll order myself a few packs in a few weeks and I'll see for myself. If they did change the plastic however, now I at least have a bit of a heads up of what to expect.

Last edited:
Having to wear them, I suppose I complain more. How would I know whether or not the other brands are in stock? And how would I know whether or not I would have to put up with the same rough-scale mat finish? I am sure there are others who are somewhat sensitive to an outer backing with a sandpaper-like texture. At least I am hoping that the NorthShore Supremes with the new front elastic waistband won't suffer the same fate.

I would call them. Personally I find it hard to believe they would change the product when you take into consideration that they can almost never keep them in stock for very long

Poofybutt said:
That's sad to hear. I just finished up my last few packs from before they went out of stock for like months and they had such a nice, buttery outer plastic that was quite noisy too.

I'm not the biggest fan of that more sheer material you find from brands like Rearz and DC Idyl, which is what the new plastic backing sounds like based on what you've said, but if the cut is the same, I think I'll still be getting them.

Also who knows, I recall getting some packs of Cushies, SDKs and other brands in the past where the plastic was more rough and at other times, I received packs where the plastic was more soft. I think that with a company like ABU that produces so many diapers, the print runs are gonna differ a little bit and the plastic calibers are going to vary at times. So, who knows, you could of just gotten a bum pack or forgotten what the plastic backing was like if you hadn't worn or used them in a long while. I would think that if a major manufacturing change occurred, they would have announced it.

I'll order myself a few packs in a few weeks and I'll see for myself. If they did change the plastic however, now I at least have a bit of a heads up of what to expect.

I definitely have not forgotten what the older plastic backing was like. I just finished a case before I opened this one. Just to think, I nearly purchased another one on the Black Friday sale. I'm glad I opened it when I did, and was able to pass. Although I am expecting a delivery of Little Paws. I sure do hope those don't disappoint, but I'm betting they will also have to be a flat finish for printing. It is what it is I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Lonelydl said:
I would call them. Personally I find it hard to believe they would change the product when you take into consideration that they can almost never keep them in stock for very long

I wonder if they might have been having production problems with the last batch, and if it could have had to do with the availability of some of the materials. They may have had to substitute. I don't think this new batch is going to sell as well, so availability should be a little better. They are definitely not as pleasant as the last batch, and seem more oriented towards medical needs, except for the front taping panel. Now, they seem to be more of a "get the job done" type of product. Absorbency and reliability seem good, but that outer finish is a real disappointment. I would rather have something shiny and slippery than a fine sandpaper.

Weird. I bought some SDKs and Simple Ultras a couple of weeks back in the UK. They both had the nice soft plastic, reminiscent of vintage nappies. I don't know if I got an older or newer batch than you.

DloverUK said:
Weird. I bought some SDKs and Simple Ultras a couple of weeks back in the UK. They both had the nice soft plastic, reminiscent of vintage nappies. I don't know if I got an older or newer batch than you.

You have an older batch.

I bought a pack on the Black Friday sale. I'll update after they arrive (end of the week maybe).

That sucks so the plastic is like the rears inspire single tape?

They did this with the preschool plastic as well. They had a nice, smooth plastic and replaced it with a plastic that feels almost like a shower curtain. It absolutely sucks. I ended up throwing out an entire case because I hated the new look so much - as well as the new tape placement.

I hope ABU isn't switching all of their products to this new, inferior plastic. That would be rather unfortunate and probably require I start supporting one of the many other companies that produce ABDL diapers now.

MaxiPad89 said:
They did this with the preschool plastic as well. They had a nice, smooth plastic and replaced it with a plastic that feels almost like a shower curtain. It absolutely sucks. I ended up throwing out an entire case because I hated the new look so much - as well as the new tape placement.

I hope ABU isn't switching all of their products to this new, inferior plastic. That would be rather unfortunate and probably require I start supporting one of the many other companies that produce ABDL diapers now.

They will definitely have to swallow their pride and up the game. Because I will not be paying top dollar for a utilitarian "brief". I already hate that I have to wear them, and sometimes I do without just so I can, in my own mind, please others. But I sure don't need to suffer any more than I already do. I would rather deal with Confidry and their spotty quality control than have to deal with a garment that is as uninviting as this recent batch. The construction and absorbency are good, but for some reason I feel shunned by these diapers. It's almost like I am being made to feel guilty, and that I'm being told I am "NOT allowed to take ANY pleasure" in dealing with my medical situation. And finally, it seems like I am getting the message that I am to be ashamed of myself for being on the autism spectrum and having this need!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I just want to add something. I have this feeling that the new plastic backing on these things was designed by a disgusted urologist with no heart and no soul!

MaxiPad89 said:

Argg I would have taken them off your hands if they were mediums or even larges

I recently bought a half case of the SDK's and they did indeed change the plastic on them. I too like the old versions better, but I definitely won't be throwing them out...not with how much those cost lol...that being said, I am a bit hesitant on buying them again if they stick with the same plastic texture...and that's a damn shame because they were my favorite 'nostalgic' diaper.

JustinDB87 said:
I recently bought a half case of the SDK's and they did indeed change the plastic on them. I too like the old versions better, but I definitely won't be throwing them out...not with how much those cost lol...that being said, I am a bit hesitant on buying them again if they stick with the same plastic texture...and that's a damn shame because they were my favorite 'nostalgic' diaper.

I will be making use of the ones I have. What is really sad, though, is that the SDKs are the very quickest and easiest to work with of all the adult diapers I've dealt with. And they have excellent long-wearing durability which means I can trust them well enough to not worry about a malfunction during the middle of a given day as I would a product like the Abena M4, Dry 24/7, or even the NorthShore Supreme "brief". Nostalgia is one thing, but the SDKs just plain work, and that's what I want except for that new backing which I can most definitely do without.

I wonder if Casey still frequents these boards. I hope he gets the message that this new plastic is awful.

diaperbobby said:
I bought a pack on the Black Friday sale. I'll update after they arrive (end of the week maybe).

UPDATE: I received my order today; they came from the Baltimore warehouse. My SDK have a soft plastic cover that is shiny. Also got Simple, Little Paws, and Kiddo--all have soft, shiny plastic covers.

diaperbobby said:
UPDATE: I received my order today; they came from the Baltimore warehouse. My SDK have a soft plastic cover that is shiny. Also got Simple, Little Paws, and Kiddo--all have soft, shiny plastic covers.

Did you order the small, or medium size? If they are the smalls, then it's likely they would be an older batch. It is unfortunate that I will have to buy more of the SDKs, and put up with the changes. They are the product that fits and works the best for me whether I like them or not. I don't get many choices when I have a condition that makes these a necessity. The softer plastic was nice while it lasted. It is what it is.

No, I ordered large in all 4 styles.

diaperbobby said:
No, I ordered large in all 4 styles.

This makes sense, because they ran out of the medium size and made another run for restocking. This would mean that the mediums are their most up to date design, while their large and smalls are from older batches. For someone who could fit the large or small sizes, now would be the time to get them. Because they soon will also have that mat finish like the current mediums do.

Back