Running 5k while diapered, will it hold up?

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
So I’m running in a 5k for the first time since being back in diapers full time for bladder incontinence. I’m looking forward to the race but I’m pretty nervous about about my diaper breaking down and failing on me. I plan on wearing a onesie over my diaper to keep it in place but would love to hear any suggestions on what others have done? Thanks.

Last Thanksgiving I ran in a 5k and had no issues at all, I wore a dry 24/7 with either a pair of compression shorts or a pair of control top underwear I dont remember and a onesie over that. Had no clumping or sagging at all. Honestly depending on the temperature outside I would not even bother with the onesie unless it is really bitter cold

Be mindful of sweating and the friction combined. I would personally recommend a pair of form fitting microfiber boxers over your diaper

Physically, most good diapers will hold up. I'd be more worried about chafing.

Thanks for the advice. Baby powder will be necessary. Happy Thanksgiving all!!

Depending on the severity of your condition, you might consider a cloth backed diaper. It would cut down in sweating and chaifing a bit. I would just make sure to void as much as possible prior to the start of the race. Good luck!!

It also depends on the type of diapers. When I work out yesterday cleaning the Yard and cutting wood. I use Plastic back diapers and plastic pants for protection. Nothing happens.

srmousse said:
Depending on the severity of your condition, you might consider a cloth backed diaper. It would cut down in sweating and chaifing a bit. I would just make sure to void as much as possible prior to the start of the race. Good luck!!

I’ve got zero control over my bladder. So I’m �� reliant on diapers. I’ve tried cloth back before and had nothing but problems with them leaking. I plan on cathing before the race so I hope that helps. Learning to still do things I enjoy even though I’m in heavy bulky diapers 24/7.

I have zero bladder control and limited BM control. I do wear a cloth backed tena while running and have run up to and including marathon distance in them. I don’t use a onesie while running but I do have good fitting running shorts, I recommend a bit of cream between the thighs for chaffing, you will find you won’t wet as much, this is dependant of fluid in take but with a 5k this is a non issue

Ehorton said:
I’ve got zero control over my bladder. So I’m �� reliant on diapers. I’ve tried cloth back before and had nothing but problems with them leaking. I plan on cathing before the race so I hope that helps. Learning to still do things I enjoy even though I’m in heavy bulky diapers 24/7.

Are you used to running with a diaper on? Compression shorts or a onesie will help, but you may still end up with a friction rash. For this, skip the powder and use petrolium jelly. Put a thin coating on your inner thighs to reduce any friction rubbing. (Powder will not prevent the rubbing and could actually make it worse- think fine grit sand paper). Note the jelly will likely stain your clothes, but can be washed out by hand if you don't let it sit for too long afterwards.

Also, you may want to consider wearing a thinner than normal diaper for just the race. Still something you know will hold up for a few hours though.

I also do a lot of sports diapered. As cyclist mentioned the amount of pee released during sports is in general significantly reduced. I normally wear diapers for heavy incontinence, but for sports pull-ups work fine for me (I use the most absorbent pull-up from Attends though).

Concerning underwear und creme/powder my experience tells me not to use neither creme nor powder and to wear tight and thin sports underwear to fix the diaper and enable some air circulation.

Slomo said:
Are you used to running with a diaper on? Compression shorts or a onesie will help, but you may still end up with a friction rash. For this, skip the powder and use petrolium jelly. Put a thin coating on your inner thighs to reduce any friction rubbing. (Powder will not prevent the rubbing and could actually make it worse- think fine grit sand paper). Note the jelly will likely stain your clothes, but can be washed out by hand if you don't let it sit for too long afterwards.

Also, you tmay want to consider wearing a thinner than normal diaper for just the race. Still something you know will hold up for a few hours though.

Hey thanks for the advice. No this is the first prolong run in diapers. I don’t have any thin diapers. I only have Crinklz, Abu space, Abu PeekABU, NorthShore Supremes, NorthShore mega max. Any suggestions on which diaper would be the best?

Ehorton said:
Hey thanks for the advice. No this is the first prolong run in diapers. I don’t have any thin diapers. I only have Crinklz, Abu space, Abu PeekABU, NorthShore Supremes, NorthShore mega max. Any suggestions on which diaper would be the best?

Well, northshore supremes do start out a little thinner, so maybe them?

Slomo said:
Well, northshore supremes do start out a little thinner, so maybe them?

Thanks for the suggestion. They are probably the thinner diaper of the group. A couple of people have said typically during activity you produce less pee. Think I could possibly go with a pad in a pair underwear with plastic pants?

Ehorton said:

Ehorton said:
Thanks for the suggestion. They are probably the thinner diaper of the group. A couple of people have said typically during activity you produce less pee. Think I could possibly go with a pad in a pair underwear with plastic pants?

No, I wouldn't push your luck that much.

Me personally, I have a stack of ATN's that I will wear while working out. I find I pee just as much while working out as I do the rest kf the time, though I'm not able to run to verify pee output during that. Still, the ATN is just enough to last me at least a couple of hours, even with my normal heavy wetting. I then change out of that before my usual shower, and all is good.

I'm totally incon, my sphincter was cut. Big diapers most of the time, but when I run, a goodnite works just fine. I tend to sweat and not pee much when running. I can't imagine trying to run in a bulky diaper!

I do a lot of running, a lot. I tend to run at very least 30 miles per week and regularly participate in marathons. I myself have never worn while out for a run because I fear it could cause quite a bit of chaffing. As you are just doing 5k and would easily take less than an hour, I would say wear some form of pull up instead for the comfort and avoid chaffing etc.

There are guys who have been running Bay-to-Breakers (about 12K) in diapers for decades.

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. The race ended up being five miles. To my surprise I had one cloth. Back NorthShore Supreme Diaper left. Based on all your suggestions I wore that. I cathed prior to leaving the house. The diaper stayed nice and snug thanks to a pair of boxer briefs and a onesie. I wet right before the race started and I’m sure leaked throughout the race but had zero leaks! Thanks again great to have a great community to ask questions too and get honest responses.

Great to hear that your diaper and clothing choice worked well but...

you left out one important piece of information...how did you do in the race? :smile:

Back