Dr. Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight99

Est. Contributor
Any one here watch Dr. Phil? My watching goes back to Burke Ramsay/Danielle Bregoli, so that's about 2-3 years.

One of today's episodes is about two parents trying to get their daughter to break up with her abusive boyfriend. He's a piece of shit, going so far as to brag to her parents about his sex life with their daughter. The daughter's actually a really nice person, the only bad person in this is the boyfriend. He's the type that all he needs is a foot up the ass to fix him, and it's honestly a shame that her father (a super-jacked, 300-pound veteran) couldn't give him that. At the end, the daughter and the boyfriend both agreed to get help, which I'm hoping helps her see that she can do way better than him.

The other one was about a guy who witnessed his father killing his mother when he was only 11 years old. They made a documentary about it (which airs Saturday at 9PM on Investigation Discovery), and the episode of Dr. Phil was a 1-hour interview with the son, who's now 39 years old.

Any good ones I should know about? Anyone else watch this show?

I watch him. My wife records the show and I see about three shows a week. Some people are really messed up. I just saw a show where two women claimed to be pregnant for over a year but obviously were not. I mean they had the tummies but a gyno confirmed they were not.

I haven't watched it in a long time, but I heard of an episode where this teenage girl (15 or 16 I think) was mad with her mom for dropping the amount of her allowance, and I think the original amount was like $5,000 or $10,000 per week, with a credit card that the teenager had charged over $100,000 to; so the mom reduced the allowance to like $1,000 a week and the teenager said she "felt like a peasant".

And im thinking "what peasants get $1,000 a week allowance? " , I cant buy $1000 of stuff a week.

Dr Phil is a guilty pleasure of mine, I look forward to watching new episodes. I get paid out by friends when I tell them I like watching it. At least my wife will watch it with me. Sometimes despite feeling a lot empathy towards guests on the show it actually makes you feel ok that your normal lol. Or normal in my head haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most intriguing episode I watched was the one dealing with the Ramsy murder. It sure sounded like the brother murdered his sister. He is one weird dude.

I'm not overly fond of him. The one good thing I can say is he does have a bank of psychologists he uses as consultants when preparing for a show. My psychologist (who had her own radio show on one of the local stations) was one of his advisors.

Supposedly the TV show "Bull" is based on Dr. Phil when he worked as a courtroom/jury psychoanalyst.

dogboy said:
Supposedly the TV show "Bull" is based on Dr. Phil when he worked as a courtroom/jury psychoanalyst.

I love that show! I had not heard it was based on Dr. Phil, but I guess it makes sense.

I have seen all mentioned episodes except for Burke Ramsey (but I have it taped), and they are beyond insane. The rich girl was really snotty, but I honestly think she was putting on an act, which is why I think Dr. Phil did his best to get her and her mother off of his stage once he figured them out. She didn't want to get a job because it was too much work, that's what did it for Dr. Phil. As for the two pregnant women, I can't figure out what to make of them. Either they are looking for attention and sympathy, or they are seriously that detached from reality. If anyone remember the girl who claimed she was pregnant with Jesus (maybe a year ago she was on there, then a follow-up appearance a few months later), she got examined by Travis Stork from The Doctors, and he said that she could have a bowel condition that mimics pregnancy in the way someone looks and the way their body functions. That COULD explain the physical part of it, but there's also a mental component, since nothing physical could cause that level of a belief or statement.

Here's my recent Dr. Phil finds:

-One was a two-part episode about a woman who stole someone's identity and catfished 50 women while posing as the man. The man was married and had some children, and he got to confront the catfish on-stage. The catfish's boyfriend was there, but he was so ashamed that he wound up using a fake name (he was identified as "Keith" by both the people on-stage and the on-screen display, quotation marks and all) and wearing a wig to hide his identity. That's pretty bad. The only reason everyone knew he had no involvement is because he looked as if he didn't have the balls to do it. Dr. Phil eventually got the woman the help that she needed, but not before she got chewed out by almost everyone on the stage.

-The next episode as another two-part show about two exes fighting over their child. Both of them wanted to be right, both wanted to sabotage the other, both wanted to put the child against the other, and both of their new respective partners (the mother's boyfriend who insists on being called Dad and the father's girlfriend who insists on being called Mom) showed up to add to the drama. Before Dr. Phil could even offer help, the four practically fought over who should have the last word, and Dr. Phil simply walked out. After their segment, he had Charlamagne Tha God (he's a host on a satellite radio show) on to talk about his new book. While the book seems really good, it almost seems like Dr. Phil is getting to be an hour-long advertisement where you don't realize it's an ad until the end. At the very end of the show, Dr. Phil met with the two parents backstage, and there was more drama with them. They finally agreed to get help, but they then devolved into more drama. Dr. Phil then left and let their drama resume.

-I watched another one today about a woman who cheated on her husband 20 times in a matter of years. Her and her husband were pure trash, as evidenced by her infidelity, her justifications for the infidelity, and her husband's way of explaining it to their children. Even though there are some episodes of Dr. Phil that are very good and very informative, some are in such poor taste that they can only be described as sensational, this story included. After that story, there was a story about this family with members who have gotten pregnant at the same time since the 60s, and now all want to fight aging at the same time. (As for the sense this makes and its relevance to a show about psychology, I'm still trying to figure that out.) The highlight of that segment was when Dr. Phil asked the old aunt in the family how this seems to happen, and her answer was "We just seem to do the same thing at the same time." Priceless. Tasteless, but priceless.

The final one I watched today involved two parents fighting over theirs son, who is addicted to video games. Honestly, between both of them fighting over being right, it's no wonder the kid immersed himself in video games. It's a shame Dr. Phil didn't just say "What the hell are you two looking for a problem in each other? Look in the mirror!" It's not their fault the kid is addicted to games, but they obviously chased him away with their actions. I know that because it's the same thing here. I get tired of the bullshit, so I turn the TV on, and then my mother tries to figure out why I'm so interested in TV and movies instead of her, without considering that she may have something to do with it. The kid got some help, but nothing was offered to the parents, so chances are their problem isn't even almost solved.

More to come in the future! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back