changing @ work.

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Well I don't know if it helps or not but. looking through the forums before I started to write this I was going to ask the age old question how to change at work. I have come a long way since I started wearing my diapers when I am out and may not be able to find a bathroom in time to go. My one hang up was work. I am still kinda afraid to change in a stall. Most of the people I work with don't know I wear. I don't have access to a private bathroom just the one public in the back of the store, the reason that I wear to work. I can and have taken a backpack with me at times but even then I would have to make sure I carried it with me everyday. I usually carry a spare diaper in the car with me. I don't mind changing in public anymore because I don't work with those people on a daily basis. I need to do something different and was hoping that someone has an idea or two. I do have medical reason for it but know one knows it. Thanks

Well I find a stall works best, try to wait for it to be empty if not I pull my diaper, snap the tapes, roll it and put it in the back pack, wipe up with some wipes then slide another one under and change sitting down.

Changing at work or at a clients when you first start to deal with incontinence is scary at first but it is something you have to get use to at some point intime as an over saturated diaper that starts to leak is more embarrassing then quickly changing in a stall at work.

Yeah, that was probably my last hang up as well. My work has a small 2 toilet, 1 urinal restroom. Taking the HC stall i'd often wait till the restroom was empty then quickly change. At some point I realized that was stupid of me and out of that old "what if" fear.

Now when I need a change I just grab my diaper from the car and go change. And yes, one coworker who didn't know was surprised and found out I'm diapered that way. He was more sympathetic than anything.

I have practiced changing at home in a small bathroom or even a closet sometimes. Then I notice what kind of diaper I am wearing and how and where the tapes go to make things tight and prevent leaks. I try to remember for the next time I change in a public bathroom stall.

well driving a buss, I have several stops with 10 to 15 minutes stops, that I can use bathrooms to change in, and at the main stop down town they have a buss drivers bathroom with a key access only.

I deliver all over the city and know most of the private bathrooms in town. hospitals, gas stations
my coworkers must know. they just don't let on.

Still can get over this either. The solid surfaces amplify and bounce sound. Try: flush-remove-tapes and flush-retape. Also, cloth-backed are not as noticeable when changing.

don't do it!!!!

Hi Lilshelly

How often do you need to change? I decided to use a high absorbance product and therefor need to change only once or twice during the day. Sometimes I don't have to change at all during working hours. Also, I try to avoid changing during noon time.

When you’re incontinent and need to wear a diaper 24/7 to keep your pants dry on the outside, you pretty much have to get to the point where you can change when you’re on the job.

When you’re incontinent and need to wear a diaper 24/7 to keep your pants dry on the outside, you pretty much have to get to the point where you can change when you’re on the job.

mkinko said:
Hi Lilshelly

How often do you need to change? I decided to use a high absorbance product and therefor need to change only once or twice during the day. Sometimes I don't have to change at all during working hours. Also, I try to avoid changing during noon time.

I usually diaper in the morning before work and then I will work my 8 hours plus my hour lunch which is the point sometimes when I will change but most of the time I end up not needing a change until after lunch which puts me in a wet diaper until I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Inconinmiss said:

Yeah I just haven't gotten to that point yet. Mobility had not became an issue until I started my new job at work. I seem to be having a little more issue with dragging my feet which can make can cause me to fall if I get in a big hurry to make it to the bathroom. I work in a big box store has one set of bathrooms in the back of the store. I don't go to the back of the store for much if at all. The break room is there but I don't even get there.

lilshelly said:
I usually diaper in the morning before work and then I will work my 8 hours plus my hour lunch which is the point sometimes when I will change but most of the time I end up not needing a change until after lunch which puts me in a wet diaper until I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I just haven't gotten to that point yet. Mobility had not became an issue until I started my new job at work. I seem to be having a little more issue with dragging my feet which can make can cause me to fall if I get in a big hurry to make it to the bathroom. I work in a big box store has one set of bathrooms in the back of the store. I don't go to the back of the store for much if at all. The break room is there but I don't even get there.

Hi Lilshelly
One change per 8 hours sounds reasonable. I can extend it to 10-12 hours when being able to use the bathroom inbetween (which I try even though the success rate is rather low). I hope you find a solution. Maybe it‘s not a bad idea to be open about your incontinence,
Cheers, Martin

Inconinmiss said:

I agree, the goal is external presentation - wet incognito.

That point must be very far away, after doing this for years, I'm still not peachy about changing in a work bathroom. I can change when out and about, no problem, I'm not likely to know anyone in the bathroom. For instance, had people barge in on me, see through the gaps, and notice what I carry in and out. Sigh. However, at work, there's a lot of interaction, peer-social ranking, and water cooler (school yard) career limiting rumors that changes everything - risk adverse.

When at work, I change frequently, and limit fluid intake. I have a very sensitive nose to perfume and other smells thus, I have asked my wife, "Do I smell...". She usually says no, unless I do. Nevertheless, if I can avoid embarrassment from "'sniff, sniff' what is that smell?". Been there, hated it. This includes cover up scents like (any type of) powder or strongly scented absorbent products.

I don't know, each of us must balance this out. For me: Because one can go eight hours, doesn't imply that one should. Sniff, sniff...

I typically change at least niece during the work day. Most days end up being 10 hours plus. I try and find a single use restroom or a family style restroom so I’m in private. In the case one of those isn’t available I just have to use a stall and hope no one comes in. In the case they do I just finish and wait for them to leave and then discard the dirty diaper and continue on with my day. Kinda of gotten use to it over the year I’ve been back in diapers!

These are the kinds of things each and every one of us has to sort out on our own. Every workplace is different.

If there are employee lockers, keep extra supplies there. If no lockers and you carry a bag...keep extra supplies buried in there.

Work out a schedule for yourself too. When is the time of day other employees are LEAST likely to be in the restroom? Figure out how your body works. Learn how much your diapers can hold and how long you can go between changes; its up to you and only you to learn how your diapers feel on you when they are wet. None here can tell you how long YOU can go between changes, thats totally up to YOU and how often you have accidents. Spend enough time in diapers, and you'll be able to just feel when its time to change.

My friend...its just all so personal and subjective that nobody here can give a definitive answer. You just have to find a groove and work into it.

First off welcome to the community. I wear at work also. This was a great bother for me too. I get a break every 2 hours, so that's when I normally changed. But, even if I have to take an unplanned bathroom break. NorthShore Go Supreme pull-ups have great absorbency, and since they are a pull up it only takes a few minutes for me to change them. Since they are cloth like there is very little noise. There are plenty of brands out there that do the job quite well. I suggest asking for samples until yo find the one that is right for you.
Most suppliers have samples at little or no cost.

Changing at work can be one of the greatest challenges of incontinence. Fear of being found out by a co-worker, and fear of what the consequences might be, are big concerns.

However, not changing at work is not an option, either. Even with extremely absorbent diapers, there will be times when changing is unavoidable. There will be days when your urine output is unexpectedly high, and there will be the occasional "wardrobe malfunction" that leads to a leak that must be addressed.

If you can find a private bathroom, that's ideal. If that's not possible, you're stuck with a stall; keep in mind that most people aren't thinking about diapers, so they're unlikely to recognize the noises of changing one. Be discreet and careful of when you make noises, and you'll be fine.

I'm a gardener so changing my nappy is not possible through the da, the trick I use is to put a small baby nappy inside my adult one and by lunch time it's normally soaked and all I need to do is pull it out.

Back