Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: here we go again...

Default here we go again...

Just saw the new round of attack ads. This year it's the Conservative Party of Canada (currently in power with a minority government) badmouthing Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff.

So, Prime Minister Stephen Harper (who once shut down parliment to avoid a vote that could have kicked him out of office), and his party, are spending their time creating hypocritical attack ads against Ignatieff instead of coming up with real solutions. I don't agree with Iggy on everything, and he isn't my first choice for PM, but jesus this is rediculous.

People, please, why don't we focus on the real problems for once? The economy, the unemployment, the health care. Shut the fuck up for a minute and dig us out of this hole you burried us in.

I'm so sick of attack ads. And I'm so sick of squabaling canadian politics.

TheStar.com | Opinion | Latest round of attack ads not welcome

Darkfinn

I'd say come to the US. But the politics are the same...

The names are different though.

I am willing to say U.S. Politics are far worse since we are pretty far removed from England and we just aren't that nice to each other. Even Christian Bale said sorry a few times when he cussed a guy out for walking in a shot on the new terminator. :P

Mako

You guys have no idea, your attacks ads usually have some actual issue brought up. The attack ads from the conservative party of canada border on slander. They attack the leader of a party, and are attempting to screw the average canadians perspective of how our government system runs.

I'm hoping Ignatieff and the liberal party start firing back and calling harper out on this bullshit. His party has put Canada into a rut of complacency. I'm really hurting for my country right now, the conservative parties dirty politics is threatening to undermine all that is great about Canada, and Canadian politics. I'm really hoping Canadians won't stand for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    You guys have no idea, your attacks ads usually have some actual issue brought up. The attack ads from the conservative party of canada border on slander. They attack the leader of a party, and are attempting to screw the average canadians perspective of how our government system runs.

I'm hoping Ignatieff and the liberal party start firing back and calling harper out on this bullshit. His party has put Canada into a rut of complacency.
    Brack HUSSIAN Obama was one of the attack ad's some conservatives or just anti-liberals did.. Like the guy is middle eastern. <_>

At one point my dad and others thought he was Muslim, that is until rev wright came up. I only liked the factual ones, such as him never going to Iraq as a senator. Him having as much experience as Palin yet people saying she shouldn't be president even though she was running as VP.

Then the liberals attack McCain for "bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran" as a joking reference to the song Barbra Ann. Both sides are really stupid when it comes to attack ads and it's one of the things I hate most about politics. Discuss the damn issues and leave the BS at the door.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Brack HUSSIAN Obama was one of the attack ad's some conservatives or just anti-liberals did.. Like the guy is middle eastern. <_>

At one point my dad and others thought he was Muslim, that is until rev wright came up. I only liked the factual ones, such as him never going to Iraq as a senator. Him having as much experience as Palin yet people saying she shouldn't be president even though she was running as VP.

Then the liberals attack McCain for "bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran" as a joking reference to the song Barbra Ann. Both sides are really stupid when it comes to attack ads and it's one of the things I hate most about politics. Discuss the damn issues and leave the BS at the door.
    But those attack ads were coming from "independent" organizations. These are coming from the actual party directly.

Recall Hillary Clinton on CNN saying, "To my knowledge, Senator Obama is not a Muslim?" It doesn't get much dirtier than that. But politics is politics everywhere. I'm not sure what good it does saying which country has the more reprehensible form of politicing.

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    Recall Hillary Clinton on CNN saying, "To my knowledge, Senator Obama is not a Muslim?" It doesn't get much dirtier than that. But politics is politics everywhere. I'm not sure what good it does saying which country has the more reprehensible form of politicing.
    you example was a liberal vs liberal... of course they were playing underhand softball with each other. Hell the winner even gave the loser secretary of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

Pundits saying bad stuff on TV is not the same as the prime minister of canada okaying commercials that twist facts about his opposition (whom he considers "enemies".

Just to give an example, imagine a commercial that starts by displaying an unflatering image of some political leader. Music akin to the Imperial March slowly begins to build as a voiceover shares comments in a saracastic way about said politician. The comments always focus on embarasing things that the politician has said or done, and never on actual politics. During last year's election, they went so far as to make fun of Dion's accent. They also take quotes said by the politician out of context, claiming it as proof that the politician doesn't care about Canada. But then the music fades away and display's the logo of the "good" party (often the Conservative logo), with one last phrase: "Don't vote [Liberal, NDP, ect] and put your country at risk... Vote Conservative!"

Course, the conservatives aren't the sole perpetrators of this nonsense, but they're certainly responsible for the majority.

Iggy just made a video in response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGifqWMeZIA

I think these ads will backfire because of their ridiculousness. At least with Dion they were kind of right in pointing out his flustered attitude and inability to lead. Iggy is a leader and a very educated man, so he's hard to attack.