Diaper recommendations, and sizing?

whitebrief1993

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help to find the best diaper for my needs... Let me start my saying that I am not really AB so diapers with special prints and such do not interest me.

My problem is that sometimes I leak and wet the bed at night. Many nights I am dry, but some of them not so much. I wont usually wet completely while asleep unless I am very exhausted, drank a ton before bed, or had some beers. Many times though, I wake up with an extremely full bladder, and whenever I try to get up to move, i end up having an accident in bed or on the way to the bathroom. I wet more as a teenager and wore goodnites, but they just dont fit like they used to. My waist is between 30-32" depending how i measure.

Before, I was using the depend 6-tab but walmart stopped carrying them local, and now they cost more to order in. Plus, they would leak from a full soaking.Recently, Ive been getting by with the men's pull ups but the s/m are baggy and still don't hold my full amount.

I recently got a free sample of the Northshore airsupreme, sizes small and medium. The mediums were way to big, the upper tapes overlapped, and even tight, the leg holes still had a gap. The smalls were kind of tight, but fit much better. I was so impressed i ordered a 20 pack. But my only complaint, is that the lower tapes are kinda tight, and the crotch is to wide.

Also cost is a factor. The Airsupremes cost over $1 each, and I kinda feel like they are overkill. I feel like I might get by with a little less absorbancy. Id prefer to keep it under $1 each shipped if possible. Especially since I dont necessarily wet every night.

Finally, discretion is needed. I live with roomates that I work with, and i'd like to be able to wear under sweats or pj's before bed while walking around the house. The small airsupremes were great, and nobody noticed a thing. Also the cloth backing with refastenable tapes allowed me to undo just the top 2 and pee in the toilet when I wanted.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I've heard good things about the northshore mega max briefs

Well Northshore carries a lighter weight fabric backed diaper, the NorthShore AirPremium Briefs(Not the AirSupreme) at about $0.90 per for a case of 80ct

(Just a heads up, I'm really bad at math so I might have gotten it wrong, please feel free to (politely)correct me if I did the math wrong.)
(These next prices taken from DiaperBuys.com cause they ship free in the USA on orders over $35 and their pricing is alright In my opinion.)

At less than a dollar per diaper pricing you aren't too limited but I'm not too experienced with the lower end padding or fabric backed so I only went with brands I know for being being "ok" but the greatest ever :p

I did find a few that might work, prices are by the case amount:

Abena Abri-Form Premuim Small2 (84ct @ $0.83 per diaper)
Tranquility SmartCore Small (100ct @ $0.78 per diaper)

- - - Updated - - -

rennecfox said:
I've heard good things about the northshore mega max briefs

Pretty sure those are sitting at about $2 per diaper right now, so that's out of their desired Less than $1 per brief pricing unfortunately.
Plus those are basically ABU Simple Ultras, so a little overkill in the absorbency and not cloth backed :p

Last edited:
Abenas aren't as good as they used to be (so many people seem to say), but it sounds like they still could be worse, but I'm sure they are (probably) still better than any Tranquility Diaper anyways as even the ATN sounds kinda mediocre at best.

Simply put, quality, features, and good absorbency usually come at a certain cost, if you are on a kind of extreme budget you may have to give up some things.

NorthShore is probably a better bet than Abena, other choices could be Dry 24/7 and maybe Seni Quatros (when I tried them a few years ago they were amazing, even though they are cloth backed it was a good cloth backing and they were very absorbent)

If discretion is required, then don't wear plastic backed diapers to much crinkle. Semi is a good diaper, but I believe based on what you describe, that the quattro might not be necessary. Instead go with Seni tripple or plus. Fairly discreet and still good absorbancy.

Jonnythepony said:
Well Northshore carries a lighter weight fabric backed diaper, the NorthShore AirPremium Briefs(Not the AirSupreme) at about $0.90 per for a case of 80ct

(Just a heads up, I'm really bad at math so I might have gotten it wrong, please feel free to (politely)correct me if I did the math wrong.)
(These next prices taken from DiaperBuys.com cause they ship free in the USA on orders over $35 and their pricing is alright In my opinion.)

Hey thanks for the heads up on that website! Looks like they have great prices. Anybody used them? Do they ship discreetly, usps, fedex? Just wondering

I was looking and I really like the sound of the Molicare super small. It says they fit 24-35" hips, which is 3" bigger than the northshores. And for a 30 bag, the price is good too. Are these discrete and quiet under pj's? Can anybody compare the fit with the northshore small for me? Also, are the tapes refastenable multiple times? I really like that i can undo just the top 2 on the Airsupreme and pee over the top. I would prefer not to have to wet it before i fall asleep!

I was also looking at the tranquility line. How do those fit? Their small size seems more in line with the Northshore, and while these fit good enough, they are not great on me.

Honestly $1 for an overnight diaper is pretty cheap. And as you found, thin and cheap diapers are not able to handle overnight wetting. When it comes to discretion, also ask yourself what's more obvious? A thin diaper that has leaked, or a thick one that has done its job.

Keep looking around at other diaper options too. Every manfacturer is different, and every diaper fits people differently too. It's not uncommon to have two different diapers of the exact same size fitting completely differently. You're just going to have to keep trying different brands till you find what works best for your needs. I'd also recommend you not rule out an abdl diaper just because of its prints, they do tend to perform much better than non-abdl diapers.

I have tried Molicare Super plus before and it was a pretty good diaper, not near the likes of Dry 24/7 (which I hear is similar to NorthShore Supreme as they are often compared to each other), or Seni Quatros, but decent if you dont need insane absorbency, of course with that comes more changes and I wouldn't recommend Molicare as a Night Time Diaper.

ABUniverse BareBums are pretty good and may work as a Night Time Diaper and they have a lower cost than a lot of other ABDL Diapers ($120 for 80, or around 1.50 per diaper), I don't know if you can beat that for an ABDL Diaper that absorbent (not as good as Little Pawz/Space/Simple, and Tykables Overnights or the new generation mega-thirsty diapers, but still pretty good)

Yeah $1 is not a hard limit for me, but it seems wasteful since there's a good amount of nights I wont leak, and would be throwing away a dry $2 diaper. Does that make sense?

Honestly from what I have seen with these northshore supreme samples, I feel like they are maybe overkill. I wore one to bed, and woke up badly needing to go. I could have made it to the bathroom, but out of curiosity and since it was 5am, i let it go in the diaper sitting in bed. It held my full bladder, which is what i want, without leaks. Then in the morning, I had to go again while I was making my coffee. I was alone so I decided to try again. It held another medium wetting standing in the kitchen. After breakfast, I was brushing my teeth, and the running water triggered an urge. I let out another small "accident." Then I showered and got dressed. But these things held probably way more than I will need to use them for a real accident.

whitebrief1993 said:
Yeah $1 is not a hard limit for me, but it seems wasteful since there's a good amount of nights I wont leak, and would be throwing away a dry $2 diaper. Does that make sense?

Honestly from what I have seen with these northshore supreme samples, I feel like they are maybe overkill. I wore one to bed, and woke up badly needing to go. I could have made it to the bathroom, but out of curiosity and since it was 5am, i let it go in the diaper sitting in bed. It held my full bladder, which is what i want, without leaks. Then in the morning, I had to go again while I was making my coffee. I was alone so I decided to try again. It held another medium wetting standing in the kitchen. After breakfast, I was brushing my teeth, and the running water triggered an urge. I let out another small "accident." Then I showered and got dressed. But these things held probably way more than I will need to use them for a real accident.

if your actually wetting when asleep you have to bear in mind it isn't always a single wetting that occurs in most cases, people can often wet a couple or a few times, but supremes are pretty good although I'm pretty weary of them daytime if I've had too much coffee and am watching a movie.

Whatever diaper you settle on, you have to consider it will need to be able to handle your worst wetting episodes. You can't look at it as a wasted diaper because you have some good or light days, or you'll be setting yourself up for constant and repeat leaks when the bad ones happen.

Don't think of it as a waste if you don't use 100% of the diaper (which is often impossible anyways). As long as the diaper is able to contain your overnight wettings, without leaking, then it has done its job and that's worth it. Also, consider if you end up not using the diaper at all, then you can wear that same diaper the next night. Just don't reuse a partially wet diaper or you'll be setting youself up for rashes and infections.

Hey all, so here is an update on my findings so far...

I got a pack of the Northshore Airsupreme small, and i've been wearing them nightly. I have no complaints about them quality wise, and the absorbancy seems good still. But the fit leaves something to be desired. The medium samples were definately way to big on me, the top tapes overlapped and the bottom ones never got tight enough around the legs. The pack of smalls I ordered fit better, but still not very comfortable. The bottom tapes are a stretch to make them reach and they always feel tight around my legs. Also the crotch still feels really wide to me. I would say they barely fit.

I ordered from the diaberbuys.com website, and got a pack of Molicare super plus small, with the cloth backing. I think these are my new favorite diapers! At first glance, unfolded, they seem like a smaller diaper than the northshore smalls. But somehow they fit way better, maybe its the cut of the leg holes? Either way the tapes land exactly where I want them, and they are comfy, discreet, and soft. Crotch width is perfect too! These things feel just like wearing goodnites, but ones that fit properly.

Also I decided to try a pack of the Tranquility ATN in medium. I never tried the smalls, but I read that they run smaller than advertised. I'm wearing one of the mediums right now, and although it is a bigger diaper, it fits pretty good. The waist comes up higher than I would like, but otherwise no complaints. They do crinkle alot, though, so I probably won't be wearing them when roommates are home. But they are real comfy as well, and i actually forgot i was wearing it for a while.

Glad to see you're finding some brands that work good for you. And yeah, most any non-store brand, or non-insurance diaper will work way better than depends.

My only other suggestions to you would be to test the molicare and atn diapers out thuroughly before settling on either one. Also, even after you found what you like, keep looking. You'd be surprised how often we hear some such and such diaper was a persons all time favorite- until they finally tried some other diaper years later.

if you're having problems with adult small being too large, just try what a lot of us wish we could do, wear real baby diapers. Find some of those size 6 and 7 pampers and have at it ;)

Back