A shift in incontinence type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenwen

Est. Contributor
Hi all, I've been away for several months and now I'm back with maybe a little strange question... Or maybe I just need to talk about it a bit...

I don't think anyone remembers, but I have urinary IC and lack any control of bladder functions or any sensations to the point, where bladder behaves on it's own. Usually, it's just accidents every some time, but there could also be retention times, resulting in floods and sometimes short periods of continuous dribbling.
The thing is, lately I've been getting much less accidents and floods, but greatly prolonged dribbling stretches... It's not like it matters, on the whole, but I'm kind of worried. My doctor can't say anything certain, because I had a time, when I got total blockage and then everything went back to the usual pattern and she just can't predict, what's going to happen this time.
Has anyone experienced changes in their incontinence pattern and do you think this could just end in constant leakage?

Oh I have. I started out with urge incontinence and a neurogenic blockage. I would get an urge to flood my diapers, but my sphincter would automatically clamp shut and require me to push and strain. After a number of surgeries intended to open me up I developed a physical blockage and couldn't pee to save my life- literally. Now that everything is removed I near constantly drip pee.

If you are going from flooding to a constant drip then consider yourself lucky. You don't want it the other way around. Trust me.

Well, I understand what you mean, I've read people talking about painful urges and so on, bu the thing is, as I said, I hardly feel anything. The worst I get is a feeling of weight and fullness, but that's extremely rare.
The reason I'm worried, though, is, actually quite embarrassing and rather silly. I enjoy it, when accidents and floods happen. Therefore, I enjoy diapers. If that's gone, I'm afraid the comfort and warmth won't be enough and I'll just end up hating my condition, and it took me a long time to start enjoying it, you know...

Could be something as simple as the temperature changes right now.

Oh I know. In spite of always having been a DL, after my accident I fought my need for diapers for a good 10 years. For what it's worth, even with my being fully incontinent I do still have small floods every now and again. Most common is getting up in the morning. The added organ weight on the bladder, and sudden spike in blood pressure on the kidneys will always make a person need to suddenly pee more. It also happens to me when I sit or lay down in a position that will clamp off my urethra. I'll get a very slight urge amd find myself peeing a steady stream for a few seconds. And yeah, that feeling of relief that comes with peeing a noticable amount is quite enjoyable for me too.

Well my IC varies. Even though my parents know I am a DL and incontinent, I'm not allowed to wear. I have to resort to homemade pads and a medication that makes my hands super shaky sometimes, and I'm a musician so that's a major issue. Sometimes i'll have no bladder feeling, sometimes I'll have some control. It's a dice roll for me. I know your side of the story both ways. You are not alone. I'm here if you need to talk for support :) I just wish I could wear. My parents are kinda odd that way and I don't have the dough to move out. Back to you, I hope you feel better.

As long as you are going pee and your bladder does not retain pee you should not worry, your doctor is informed (Very important step) I would rather dribble all the time then have my full floods as your risk of leaks is lower when you have smaller surges and a constant dribble

Fireband said:
Well my IC varies. Even though my parents know I am a DL and incontinent, I'm not allowed to wear. I have to resort to homemade pads and a medication that makes my hands super shaky sometimes, and I'm a musician so that's a major issue. Sometimes i'll have no bladder feeling, sometimes I'll have some control. It's a dice roll for me. I know your side of the story both ways. You are not alone. I'm here if you need to talk for support :) I just wish I could wear. My parents are kinda odd that way and I don't have the dough to move out. Back to you, I hope you feel better.
I think you need to go to the doctors have your IC records printed out and give it your parents and use diapers. That not allowed not to wear is a Dumb idea.

Mine also varies, most the time I have no control but sometimes I have enough control to hold on for upto 30 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back