What Was Your Favorite Family Outing As A Child?

LittleAndrea

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Just curious. I used to do a lot of fun things with my family like go to a local small amusement park, go bowling, shopping at the local mall, go to the park/playground, go to rent videos.
All sorts of things that were fun and family friendly, just wondering what you favorite activity/outing with your family as a child was?

A day at the beach. Digging holes, building sandcastles and eating sandy jam sandwiches!

Family trips, we traveled a lot and visited so many places when I was a kid, I loved that so much, we visited all Canada, and around 20-25 different States of USA while I was a kid, most of this by car, going camping in tent (yes those old tent things like in the old time) my biggest dream of all time would be to do this again but with a RV instead of a tent, I swear if I win the lottery, it will be my thing, just hire a driver (I can't drive sadly can't have a driving license because of my eyes) then let him choose the roads and places to visit, going on a long nowhere trip all around USA. I don't need a luxury RV to do this, just a basic one that will suit my needs.

We never really did stuff as a family, but I have a couple of nice memories.

One was great grampa waking me up, to drive around with him spotting deer with a big ass flashlight. Got to see an albino deer one night.

The other, my dad took me and some childhood friends to check out a historic fire watch tower, and we found an old, mostly abandoned dinosaur park... it’s been refurbished and is now an oddly religious dinosaur park.

I remember alot of camping in state forests as a kid. Every summer my family would pick a different state park to camp in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I grew up in the Barnegat Bay area, east coast New Jersey. As a kid, we would go to a beach along the Toms River to watch the 4th of July fireworks. They'd sell ice cream along with other goodies. I always had sparklers and cap guns.

Living near the beach, my parents would take me to the Seaside Park boardwalk where there were all these games and rides to go on. There were food stands and music coming out of the bars and from the amusement rides. In the heat of the summer, we would spend a day at the ocean, our blanket on the beach. They certainly were good times.

Even today, I practically live for family outings. Back then, we had a plethora of choices. Most days, it'd be the park (nearest one is Whetstone Park and the Park of Roses—particularly for my neighborhood's 4th of July fireworks), the Columbus Zoo, Sesame Street Live! at the Convention Center, Graeter's Ice Cream, the local symphony's summer program (held on the lawn of my mom's old workplace—which incidentally was also home to family breakfasts), plus the old Lane Avenue Shopping Center, City Center Mall, the Continent & French Market and Northland Mall (none of which are around anymore—or for those still standing, not as they used be, boo hoo).

The best ones for me, in my opinion, were the old COSI (12 years before they moved over the Scioto and down the street) and Wyandot Lake (which gave way to Zoombezi Bay after standing derelict for a few years prior). I've always been a fan of playgrounds and hands-on exhibits.

Every spring our family would spend a week or two clearing rocks from freshly ploughed feilds, than spend another week putting seeds into the ground to watch grow all summer. Mid June we spent time riding around hay fields stacking baled hay onto the wagon. Each and every morning and evening we got to spend time in a cow barn, hand milking 5 cows each.
As 1 of 10 children in our house we always had fun sitting around a large table eating as much as we could before the food was all gone, after grace was said, and it was father who always said grace, father, son, Holy Ghost, he who eats the fastest gets the most.

I grew up in Oregon in the 70's and have really fond memories of family day trips to the Oregon coast, looking for agates on the beach, roasting hotdogs over a campfire and then on the drive home stopping at the Tillamook cheese factory in Tillamook Oregon to watch them make cheddar cheese and have samples and eat ice cream.

A couple spring to mind.

When I was younger, I loved building model trains and cars and there was a wonderful model shop in the city where me and my Mom were living at the time. So one of my earliest, fondest childhood memories/outings was my Mom bringing me to the model shop and me and her looking at all the neat stuff. I can even remember almost exactly what models she bought for me too, every time we visited :)

My other favourite family outings, all those summer visits at my Grandparent's cottage. I went there from the age of 5 to 12, every summer, sometimes for months on end, religiously. I did a lot of fishing with my Grandpa, swimming with my Grandma, video games with the other kids who would be there over the summer, it was a blast. Looking back, some of the best times in my life were spent at the cottage; evening bonfires, summertime crushes, scary stories in the evening, lots of adventure, etc.

I guess I had a pretty great childhood all around, so it's not wonder I'm still a kid/baby at heart :D

the zoo has to be the top outing in my book.

I grew up in Southwest Missouri, every summer we would visit Branson and go to Silver dollar city .
That was back in the late 60s and early to mid 70s before Branson was what it is now .
Another thing we used to do every year would be road trips to Iowa and Michigan to visit relatives .
My folks would put a mattress in the back of the old Falcon station wagon an my two sisters and I would have the whole back end to ourselves .

We had a creek on the south side of our farm. (About a half mile from the house/barn)
A couple times each summer our dad would take us all down to the creek. We'd pitch old army puptents, light a big bonfire, grill catfish, patios, and corn... And play bluegrass until like 1 or 2 AM. In the morning dad would make scrambled eggs on the last of the bonfire.
GOOD times

- - - Updated - - -

All seven of us ruined our interments with the humidity. But dam we had fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Any of you that have never had scrambled eggs from a real cast iron skillet over a campfire, have MISSED OUT on one of life's great experiences

Back