AB Changing Table Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyboy55

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hi all. Im wondering if anyone has plans or can give tips to building an Adukt Baby changing table? Ive seen various setups on youtube but would be worried about weight limits (would probably need something rated to handle up to 300 pounds). Thanks!

Guess it really depends on what you are going for aesthetics and complexity wise.

Functionally it's not hard to build a very sturdy table out of wood. Some 4x4 posts and 2x4 frame for the top, then covered with some plywood is going to be rock solid. Think less kitchen table and more garage workbench, then add the features you want to make it a changing table (drawers, side guards, padding.. manacles *ahem*). Construction grade non-pressure treated wood in these sizes is also pretty cheap. If you're going to paint the thing anyway I'd go this route.

If you want something with more of a stained wood aesthetic, then you're getting into some proper woodworking. In the above, using overkill sized wood buys you a lot of leeway, but if you are doing delicate, geometry and craftsmanship become very important.

The ideal size - for me, anyway - is about the size of a massage table, but slightly higher.

An adult-sized changing pad is very difficult to find, but you can probably make one or have it made. Something like a yoga mat makes a good foundation; you’ll just want something thicker or more substantial.

The area beneath the changing pad is very handy storage, whether built out with drawers, shelves, etc.

Of greater concern than your comfort is the comfort of the person who’s changing you. The changing surface needs to be at a comfortable height, so a little trial and error in the design process will help you identify the correct level. You can try other tables - dining table, office desk, etc. - to find a height that ‘feels’ right. In my experience, anything above about 30” tall will present some problems with reach or access.

Sbmccue,
Most massage tables have adjustable legs. My table is only on the 3rd knock (in the middle. Another 2 to go)

How about an attachment like in the picture to get legs out of the way and make cleaning the bottom easier?

changing.JPG

I am not sure how to post pictures on this site, or I would.

What I did to make what you want, was to get a triple set of drawers (three series of four drawers side by side).

That allows for a six foot plus change table on top.

Buy it of your local 'used' site and paint it white.

Construct the changing table on top of it with exterior plywood. Fasten with screws. Pre-drill to avoid splitting. Go to you local fabric store and get 'baby print' material / plastic and use a staple gun to cover the sides and base with that underneath and out of sight.

Put a mobile above and a rack for diapers and baby stuff.

What you see when you look up is important to the mindset desired.

This is a low cost thing that most people can do themselves.

ESPF said:
Sbmccue,
Most massage tables have adjustable legs. My table is only on the 3rd knock (in the middle. Another 2 to go)

That's what I use as well. It works well for changes and temperature taking, and folds up when not in use.

That would be super cool to have. Just a safe and comfortable place to change the pampers. Closest thing I have is a changing pad, adult sized.

Just get a long buffet table and put a changing pad on top. It is the right height, length and it already comes with storage drawers undeneath.

woodenpotty said:

For some reason this terrifies me. I think it’s just the idea of having your legs strapped to a pivoting mechanism; it just seems like a torture device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back